testtest

1911 V-16 Long Slide is stuck

Took the gun to the Gunsmith and got a 20 dollar education. The slide stop was not all the way in like annihilator had questioned. The gunsmith tapped it back to the disassembly notch and and pressed the slide stop back in which released the tension. In the second picture you can see the button is pressed in but it should be much further out. Good news is no crack and the pistol is in good overall shape. Has some rust! I'm going to break it down this weekend and clean it thoroughly! Any ideas to remove rust???
Try a soft cloth and BreakFree first for the rust. If it’s not too bsd it may come right off...

Took the gun to the Gunsmith and got a 20 dollar education. The slide stop was not all the way in like annihilator had questioned. The gunsmith tapped it back to the disassembly notch and and pressed the slide stop back in which released the tension. In the second picture you can see the button is pressed in but it should be much further out. Good news is no crack and the pistol is in good overall shape. Has some rust! I'm going to break it down this weekend and clean it thoroughly! Any ideas to remove rust???
Glad you got issue fixed, thanks for the update.

Brass wool (NOT steel wool!) well-oiled does a great job of removing rust from stainless.

Thanks for the video. As stated earlier operator error was involved. I must have been pushing on the stop pin when racking it. The gunsmith just knocked the slide back to the disassembly notch and then it all lined back up!
Just glad it was an easy fix!! I've had my 1911 for many years now and never even knew this was an issue. If it ever happens to me now by mistake, I'll know exactly what caused it.

That is great news! $20 very cheap insurance. Gun looks like could be a very nice keeper too!
Am very glad gunsmith found no major issues after gun sitting unattended that long. Pics can distort things sometimes?

Very thankfully you're just removing some rust. Many types and methods of rust remover on market, make sure you find something safe for stainless, some aren't. On stainless, many times a good polishing can remove light rust and crud. Have used "Never-Dull" with some success. Good stuff. (Is chemically treated cotton batting in a can. Tear off a chunk and wipe/rub surface.) Never Dull? - Sorta like around here sometimes? :)

Sad news? May have to get slightly larger pockets for CC though? And, hope it's not the runt of the litter. Bit large for derringer or pocket pistol. ;-)

Back