testtest

A Gun for People Who Don’t Carry Guns?

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “A Gun for People Who Don’t Carry Guns?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-gun-for-people-who-dont-carry-guns/.

This article contains the following quote…………………….

Police officers carry a gun as part of their sworn duties to “protect and serve”.

Let’s be clear……. the phrase “protect and serve” applies only to the municipality or government entity that pays the salary of the law enforcement officers in its employ. Thus, it is the municipality or the government entity that is to be “served and protected” ……… not the community itself, nor any individual resident, or non-resident, of the community. People believe they are entitled to police protection. Not so. The courts have held again many times over that no individual is entitled to police protection. Don’t be fooled by the intent of these words boldly emblazoned on police vehicles, and elsewhere.

The motto, "To Protect and Serve," first coined by the Los Angeles Police Department in the 1950s, has been widely copied by police departments everywhere. But what, exactly, is a police officer's legal obligation to protect people? Must they risk their lives in dangerous situations like the one in Uvalde?

The answer is no.

In the 1981 case Warren v. District of Columbia, the D.C. Court of Appeals held that police have a general "public duty," but that "no specific legal duty exists" unless there is a special relationship between an officer and an individual, such as a person in custody.

The U.S. Supreme Court has also ruled that police have no specific obligation to protect. In its 1989 decision in DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the justices ruled that a social services department had no duty to protect a young boy from his abusive father. In 2005'sCastle Rock v. Gonzales, a woman sued the police for failing to protect her from her husband after he violated a restraining order and abducted and killed their three children. Justices said the police had no such duty.

Most recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit upheld a lower court ruling that police could not be held liable for failing to protect students in the 2018 shooting that claimed 17 lives at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

The motto, "To Protect and Serve," first coined by the Los Angeles Police Department in the 1950s, has been widely copied by police departments everywhere. But what, exactly, is a police officer's legal obligation to protect people? Must they risk their lives in dangerous situations like the one in Uvalde?

The answer is no.

In the 1981 case Warren v. District of Columbia, the D.C. Court of Appeals held that police have a general "public duty," but that "no specific legal duty exists" unless there is a special relationship between an officer and an individual, such as a person in custody.

The U.S. Supreme Court has also ruled that police have no specific obligation to protect. In its 1989 decision in DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the justices ruled that a social services department had no duty to protect a young boy from his abusive father. In 2005'sCastle Rock v. Gonzales, a woman sued the police for failing to protect her from her husband after he violated a restraining order and abducted and killed their three children. Justices said the police had no such duty.

Most recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit upheld a lower court ruling that police could not be held liable for failing to protect students in the 2018 shooting that claimed 17 lives at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
There, you have it. A much more detailed and valued opinion than I could provide. Thanks for weighing in.

Thank you for those detailed comments. It’s always nice to correspond with another police officer.

A subcompact pistol, such as an XD-S, chambered in 45 ACP is physically larger than a Hellcat. Yes, modern defense or duty ammunition is remarkably effective — based on a perfect center of mass hit. But when a defender makes a less than perfect shot, the larger diameter of a 45 bullet is more likely to stop a lethal assault.

However, the point of the article I wrote, if forced to choose between no gun or a micro compact Hellcat, of course I’ll carry a Hellcat. I give up a 1911 in 45 ACP, not to gain capacity but to be able to conceal a pistol in lightweight summer clothing (when off duty).

Anyone (police officer or citizen), with enough time and ammunition, can be trained to shoot anything well — irrespective of size or caliber. However, larger heavier guns are easier for beginners— the weight helps with recoil management. If an officer cannot qualify the instructor is not instructing and only testing.
I get your point. My main reason for not choosing subcompact pistols in any caliber is the substantial loss of muzzle velocity. I am also an ex-police officer.

The answer is no.

How is it the Uvalde guy got indicted ?

True, but according to SCOTUS they were under no obligation to protect anyone.
Bob even if there wasn't a legal obligation the officers in my opinion they should have gone in to at least try to save those children. Thank goodness I was never in that kind of situation. If I ever had been someone would have to physically restrain me from not trying.

But when a defender makes a less than perfect shot, the larger diameter of a 45 bullet is more likely to stop a lethal assault.
Really???? Would you care to share which manufacturer's terminal ballisticians/forensic pathologists working in R&D told you that?

Somebody working in R&D at Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc whose job entails reviewing results from police use of their ammunition in the service calibers they market to law enforcement agencies?

I'm assuming you are not trained on forensic pathology, terminal ballistics, etc, nor do you work for any company manufacturing service ammunition for law enforcement in research and evaluation of their ammunition when used in police shootings where you have access to their review of LEO shootings involving their lines of service ammunition?

I'm certainly not, so I don't indulge myself in expressing personal opinions as though supported by data. I have read/heard what you posted here expressed many times elsewhere as an opinion - but never while backed by supporting factual data. A few of those times at the ballistics seminars hosted by Vista where some of their SME's working on terminal ballistics were available.

I do find it odd that, if it is an established fact that a .45 ACP is more likely to stop a threat with a less than perfect shot than a smaller diameter caliber, it is very curious that agencies like the Secret Service protecting the most important people in our government would give up that advantage backed by real evidence and choose to use the proven to be less effective 9mm instead.

In fact, if there actually is verified data that the .45 ACP is more likely to stop a threat than smaller handgun calibers with less than perfect round placement, it would seem to be near criminal negligence for any law enforcement organization to be issuing any caliber other than .45 ACP.

Marginal hits in law enforcement shootings are more likely than optimally placed hits. And as you point out, with competent trainers, police can be trained to be able to meet the specified standard of accuracy with a .45 ACP just as they can with the much smaller diameter 9mm.

Last edited:
Really???? Would you care to share which manufacturer's terminal ballisticians/forensic pathologists working in R&D told you that?

Somebody working in R&D at Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc whose job entails reviewing results from police use of their ammunition in the service calibers they market to law enforcement agencies?

I'm assuming you are not trained on forensic pathology, terminal ballistics, etc, nor do you work for any company manufacturing service ammunition for law enforcement in research and evaluation of their ammunition when used in police shootings where you have access to their review of LEO shootings involving their lines of service ammunition?

I'm certainly not, so I don't indulge myself in expressing personal opinions as though supported by data. I have read/heard what you posted here expressed many times elsewhere as an opinion - but never while backed by supporting factual data. A few of those times at the ballistics seminars hosted by Vista where some of their SME's working on terminal ballistics were available.

I do find it odd that, if it is an established fact that a .45 ACP is more likely to stop a threat with a less than perfect shot than a smaller diameter caliber, it is very curious that agencies like the Secret Service protecting the most important people in our government would give up that advantage backed by real evidence and choose to use the proven to be less effective 9mm instead.

In fact, if there actually is verified data that the .45 ACP is more likely to stop a threat than smaller handgun calibers with less than perfect round placement, it would seem to be near criminal negligence for any law enforcement organization to be issuing any caliber other than .45 ACP.

Marginal hits in law enforcement shootings are more likely than optimally placed hits. And as you point out, with competent trainers, police can be trained to be able to meet the specified standard of accuracy with a .45 ACP just as they can with the much smaller diameter 9mm.
Lighten up Old Airborne Dog. All I said was "I" wouldn't choose a short barreled pistol in any caliber. Yeah opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, including you and me. I could care less what you or anyone else uses. It's up to the individual. Gun people all have opinions on a variety of gun related subjects.

Lighten up Old Airborne Dog. All I said was "I" wouldn't choose a short barreled pistol in any caliber. Yeah opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, including you and me. I could care less what you or anyone else uses. It's up to the individual. Gun people all have opinions on a variety of gun related subjects.

You appear to be having yourself a Midol Moment. My post that you're responding to wasn't written in response to anything you posted - unless you're also the Alan Rice whose post that was specifically responding to.

In fact, if I check what I posted, I'm pretty sure I made absolutely no mention of barrel length in the post that has you crying for me to lighten up. Nor did I make any mention of you, or what you do or don't prefer.

If I did however make some mention of barrel length that led to you being so upset, once you calm down, let me know what I said and I will edit it out and provide you with an apology to go with it.

You appear to be having yourself a Midol Moment. My post that you're responding to wasn't written in response to anything you posted - unless you're also the Alan Rice whose post that was specifically responding to.

In fact, if I check what I posted, I'm pretty sure I made absolutely no mention of barrel length in the post that has you crying for me to lighten up. Nor did I make any mention of you, or what you do or don't prefer.

If I did however make some mention of barrel length that led to you being so upset, once you calm down, let me know what I said and I will edit it out and provide you with an apology to go with it.
Never have used Midol, don't know what it's used for. I should have used what Alan Rice wrote for my reply. My apologies. I am an old fart and I do have my moments. That said I still don't care for micro/sub-compact pistols regardless of caliber.

I’m not a scientist or professional ballistician. My comments are my opinion based on the 45 ACPs longstanding reputation as well as having read the Marshal Sanow Stopping Power books which were published over 30 years ago.

Most citizens and police officers do not train like secret service agents do.

Agencies make choices based on many factors. Most choose a gun and cartridge that works for all, large and small, male and female… etc.

I’m not a scientist or professional ballistician. My comments are my opinion based on the 45 ACPs longstanding reputation as well as having read the Marshal Sanow Stopping Power books which were published over 30 years ago.

Agencies make choices based on many factors. Most choose a gun and cartridge that works for all, large and small, male and female… etc.
Do they train like the SS guy who got robbed at gunpoint in LA a couple weeks ago at the Biden fundraiser ?

Think I'll pass on that. lol

hey folks, theres not one weapon right for everybody. carry what you feel comfortable with, trained with and proficient with. as a retired leo, over the years i have carried several different weapons of different size and caliber. however now that i am retired i can carry what i want. i do like and carry a hellcat 96% of the time, but depending on where i am going and how i am dressed the other 4% of the time i may carry a 30sc, 40s&w, or lcp max. but no matter what weapon i am carrying, they are all loaded with federal premium defensive ammo, hydro shock or the hst

The clue is that Marshall and Sanow's one shot stop study was published thirty years ago - aside from the fact that their methodology was mostly whatever anecdotal evidence they chose to use and what they rejected.

BTW, how many times in police shootings do police fire just one shot rather than just "shoot him down into the ground"? Nobody is trained to fire a shot and then pause to evaluate effect before firing more rounds at their assailant. I don't think the majority carrying for self defense are going to just try one shot and evaluate, either.

Aside from the fact that Marshall and Sanow were also like you - not scientists or nor ballisticians focused on terminal ballistics who are trained in methodology, their findings were based on the ammunition that was developed 40 years ago. The Hellcat and similar compacts like you are carrying today did not exist back then just as the ammunition of today also did not exist, btw.

In short, technology 40 years later is much different than it was when Marshal and Sanow evaluated shootings with the ammunition of the day - and despite not being scientists created a scientific formula for calculating the probability for a one shot stop. Human beings have an obsession for wanting to find a way to fit chaos into neat boxes.

You aren't the only LEO who read Marshall and Sanow - and the many criticisms of their research and claims by others who were also working in the LEO world. That is not a way of rejecting their attempts to focus on duty ammunition, what they did is what others should have been doing long before. That book probably was the impetus that resulted in ammunition manufacturers muscling up with terminal ballisticians in their R&D departments.

Yes, most citizens and police officers do not train like SS agents do - on the other hand, while SS train on many, many more things related to close protection than shooting, many citizens and police do more training primarily focused shooting rather than split with close protection training than SS do. It's a bell curve where training is concerned - not a training slope with the SS at the top.

That aside - when you're making claims that a caliber is superior to other choices, it makes absolutely no difference if the bullets leave a handgun held by an octogenarian who never trains or a SS agent. What matters is their terminal performance after impact.

You need to decide whether your claim is that effective firearms training makes the determining factor why not issue/carry .45 ACP as it's best - or that firearms training can't deal with caliber differences when mixed with physiological differences: large and small, male and female, etc. So those choosing the .45 ACP need to ensure they're big enough/strong enough to effectively use it?

If indeed 9mm performance on the street doesn't meet the standard of .45 ACP these days, given the much greater numbers of 9mm by now and the resulting far greater number of shootings, there seems to be lot of missing evidence of it's inferiority coming from real world experience today.

Everybody here has already made a choice of caliber as well as choices of the platform they carry it in, single action versus striker fired, safety or not.

Whatever those opinions and choices are, they aren't the burden of proof to support stating those opinions as fact. Whatever caliber you want to try pitching as the best.

I like the .45 Auto and sometimes carry it in 4.25, 4.0 or 3.0 in barrel pistols. I think the .45 Auto relies less on velocity than on mass to do damage. So, a short barrel .45 Auto is okay for me and I shoot them well at defensive distances.

But, I mostly carry 9mm pistols because mine are reliable, have a higher round count, and modern 9mm ammunition is very darn effective shot through most common barrel lengths.

For super concealed, I favor a Ruger LC Max in an Alabama pocket holster. Yes, it’s just a .380 but carries a lot of rounds and should do the job if called upon at short range.

Back