testtest

Ammo Advice

karlb

Alpha
Hi, everyone. I bought a Springfield Armory Saint Victor that takes 9mm.

The shop I purchased it at sold me Sellier & Bellot 9mm luger ammo 115 grain full metal jacket.

No clue if it's good ammo or not.

Since y'all are much more knowledgeable than I am on guns and ammo, I was wondering if you could recommend a good ammo (for the Saint Victor) for the range as well as ammo that's more for home defense.

I haven't fired the gun yet - I really would like to go to the local armory and take a gun safety class as I haven't yet handled a gun like the Saint Victor.

Many thanks for y'alls help!

The shop I purchased it at sold me Sellier & Bellot 9mm luger ammo 115 grain full metal jacket.

Since y'all are much more knowledgeable than I am on guns and ammo, I was wondering if you could recommend a good ammo (for the Saint Victor) for the range as well as ammo that's more for home defense.

I haven't fired the gun yet - I really would like to go to the local armory and take a gun safety class as I haven't yet handled a gun like the Saint Victor.

I use there 10mm ammo, no issues, just a little dirty, other then that shoots fine for me

Last edited:

S&B is decent stuff.
Buy 4-5 brands in your preferred budget per box
1 box of each
Test fire each brand
Every gun likes or dislikes certain brands of ammo. Some will chew up and shoot anything you feed them. Some guns will have issues with certain brands.
Once you find brands that your gun has no issues with, then you can shop sales and buy up in bulk knowing it will run in your gun

I’ve run S&B 9mm through my handguns and haven’t had any issues.
You should try different brands and grain sizes (115, 124, 147) to see what it likes.
Also, if you’re planning on using it for home defense you’ll want to run defense ammo through it to make sure it runs without any failures.
I don’t have the Saint so I may not be able to off much else.
For range ammo i buy bulk stuff from 2A Warehouse, Freedom Munitions and LAX. I haven’t had any problems with it.
Good luck and enjoy getting acquainted with your new gun.

I have a Springfield rifle and a pistol and neither have had issues with any type of ammo. Like others said for the range buy a few different brands and make sure they all work, for home defense/CCW I use Hornady Critical Defense and never had an issue in any gun with that.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice, y'all!

I'll try a few brands at the local Armory and will do my best to report back as to any preferences. I have a few gun I want to fire there aside from the Saint Victor (Beretta as well as a revolver) and am excited. I'm also looking into buying a .08 but will need to test drive a few to decide that.

S&B is decent ammo. 115 is fine for range paper punching. However personally I favor 147 or 124 especially 124 NATO at 1,200 FPS) the heavier bullets are way more accurate and you notice better results in steel I’d say doing a match. And the heavier rounds have more try OOA/POi with most relevant defensive loads over 115.

That’s just what I do

Hi,

I've been eyeballing a Saint Victor too. Those are nice PCCs (pistol caliber carbine). Congrats!

I bought a couple cases of S&B 9mm recently and it's good stuff. I've also used CCI Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, Federal, Remington, AAC, and the house brands from 2A Warehouse (Capitol Cartridge) and LAX Ammo. What's always given me the most trouble in all of my pistols is the Winchester White Box. YMMV.

As has been mentioned, you'll want to try a few different brands and grain weights to figure out what runs best in your guns and what's more accurate for you to shoot in each. And don't forget self-defense ammo (hollow points), if that's one of the uses of your firearms. I've been training for only three years but for now I have settled on the 124 grain Blazer Brass as my main training ammo. I'll practice with all kinds of different stuff until I find it doesn't work.

I look forward to your range reports. Have fun. Be safe. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

S&B has been around awhile now, never seen a bad review.
Springfields have touted to ‘run anything‘ without a problem.
Nothing wrong with a squib ev’r once in a while to keep your skills tuned.

Between SB, PMC, and CCI Blazer brass, even MagTech they’re all reasonably priced practice rounds within 1-2¢ a round/115gr ball. (Remember Normal - 9¢ per round?).

Here’s a cheapie-brand that I’ve not seen or heard of - New Republic (brass).
Anyone use this variety have opinions ?

When I got my Springfield Armory Saint Victor, I was right where you are now. The Sellier & Bellot 115 grain FMJ ammo you have is pretty good for range practice; I've used it and it worked well. For home defense, I’d suggest looking into Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Duty. Both are reliable and effective for defensive purposes.

Before I fired my Saint Victor, I took a gun safety class at my local range. It was really helpful for getting familiar with the gun and learning proper handling techniques. Also, if you’re looking for the best price on ammo, AmmoBin has been my go-to for finding good deals. It’s worth checking out to stock up on quality ammo without breaking the bank.

Back