testtest

Are Guns Bad Investments?

Actually I don't often notice others and compare how others grip to how I do it, but, it might be interesting to know that the 'Hellcat' actually has little indents in the frame, just ahead of the trigger guard that is/was touted as a 'thumb rest' for the more modern grip. Don't know exactly where I first saw that and don't remember seeing it recently, but at some point it was! I used it from day one after buying my Hellcat without even realizing it. I saw it advertised, tried it, liked it and have not gone back. Now I pretty much grip that way with any semi-auto pistol.

Actually I don't often notice others and compare how others grip to how I do it, but, it might be interesting to know that the 'Hellcat' actually has little indents in the frame, just ahead of the trigger guard that is/was touted as a 'thumb rest' for the more modern grip. Don't know exactly where I first saw that and don't remember seeing it recently, but at some point it was! I used it from day one after buying my Hellcat without even realizing it. I saw it advertised, tried it, liked it and have not gone back. Now I pretty much grip that way with any semi-auto pistol.
yup... seems to be the up and coming thing. I maybe too old of a dog to learn that trick however. I think it helps a lot with the light plastic guns. My son uses that grip and now out shoot his dad. But, it just does not feel natural to me.

yeah, I did not catch on to this until my son brought it to my attention. Then you start watching and noticing... It's around and if you spend anytime on Youtube you will see this a lot.
I believe you brother. I get zero training from Youtube. I watch gun stuff, but almost never shooting videos.

I'll stick to what I've been taught by the crayon eaters and cops I shoot with.

I see a "thumb rest" aftermarket has sprung up to accommodate the "modern" grip. You can buy third party add-on to add the thumb rest to many handguns now.

Well, I know this is a bit off-topic here, but... I am glad you like these. My son has no problem with them either. Yes, the Glock changed handling characteristics after each shot, and yes, that FN trigger cut my finger.
There is a whole new school of thinking and discipline that has come out of the plastic gun era. My son shoots with the offhand forward. It is not a natural grip for me (maybe there is something about teaching old dog new tricks here). I know police forces had lots of trouble with officers qualifying when departments transitioned to the lighter guns. One reason many of them have returned to the 9mm. Simple physics... lighter means more felt recoil and more muzzle flip. When my son and I go out to the range, the gals won't touch them... they dislike the recoil. They stick with the heaver guns and enjoy them.
As for me, I will take the few extra ounces and the better weight distribution offered by metal frames.
I have heavy hammer fired guns and plenty of polymer guns and shoot both equally well. You make the polymer gun sound like a Howitzer when that is simply not the case. Your perception may have you thinking that way, but many polymer guns are extremely benign and easy to handle. Two of my favorite guns are my 47 oz 226 X5 (which comes with a gas pedal stock) and my 24oz HK VP9. I like the VP9 so much that I own every version from the SK to the Match because it is so easy to wield and it is extremely accurate and it’s all down to technique and training. If you put the time in, and I mean consciously working on your technique and not just plinking once a month you will be rewarded. My FN 545 and HK 45, both polymer framed, are two of the softest recoiling .45s you can come across. As I said, I like a nice heavy gun as much as the next guy, but polymer guns aren’t bone rattling, recoil monsters and a vast many of them are extremely good guns.

Last edited:
Interesting... I cant help but think that is a resting or "range" grip vs training to shoot under duress. When you pull your weapon to shoot, you usually have to rotate your 'Off hand' a bit in order to get that thumb forward grip. I may have to try that at the range tomorrow, but I have been military shooting 30 years and train foreign folks to shoot so, we shall see.
I’ve done some training with Scott Jedlinski’s guys and Jedi actually promote a thumbs up grip as opposed to down the slide as it promotes a higher grip on the gun and allows you to bring more upward pressure to bear with your support hand on the bottom of the frame and helps pretty significantly with recoil control. This is all in aid of finding the red dot when you draw, but I’ve been using it on all my guns and it’s made a pretty significant difference - and I wasn’t a slouch before! 😎🤪🙄🤔

FWIW, I wouldn’t dream of having separate grip styles for separate platforms. That will almost certainly bite you in the ass when you least need it to.

I have heavy hammer fired guns and plenty of polymer guns and shoot both equally well. You make the polymer gun sound like a Howitzer when that is simply not the case. Your perception may have you thinking that way, but many polymer guns are extremely benign and easy to handle. Two of my favorite guns are my 47 oz 226 X5 (which comes with a gas pedal stock) and my 24oz HK VP9. I like the VP9 so much that I own every version from the SK to the Match because it is so easy to wield and it is extremely accurate and it’s all down to technique and training. If you put the time in, and I mean consciously working on your technique and not just plinking once a month you will be rewarded. My FN 545 and HK 45, both polymer framed, are two of the softest recoiling .45s you can come across. As I said, I like a nice heavy gun as much as the next guy, but polymer guns aren’t bone rattling, recoil monsters and a vast many of them are extremely good guns.
Well, my wife and daughter will tell you they feel like Howitzer to them. I can shoot straight enough with them but I don't find them enjoyable to shoot. My son owns one of the HK .45s and he tells me they are not bad at all. I have not shot that one yet... afraid to, hehehehe...

Not to argue, but often over time, changes happen as folks figure out a better way to do something. Personally, I use a grip that feels most natural to me. I like both polymer framed guns and all steel ones, but I have no desire to carry an all steel gun. Too heavy. And, I try to remember to keep my offhand thumb behind the cylinder gap on the snubby! Shoot one a night sometime and you can see why for yourself!

I’ve done some training with Scott Jedlinski’s guys and Jedi actually promote a thumbs up grip as opposed to down the slide as it promotes a higher grip on the gun and allows you to bring more upward pressure to bear with your support hand on the bottom of the frame and helps pretty significantly with recoil control. This is all in aid of finding the red dot when you draw, but I’ve been using it on all my guns and it’s made a pretty significant difference - and I wasn’t a slouch before! 😎🤪🙄🤔

FWIW, I wouldn’t dream of having separate grip styles for separate platforms. That will almost certainly bite you in the ass when you least need it to.
This is good to know, because I sometimes "think" too much on my grip, and have been trained thus far with the modern grip. I've just been working too hard on what I've been told is "proper". Time to switch it up some..

This is good to know, because I sometimes "think" too much on my grip, and have been trained thus far with the modern grip. I've just been working too hard on what I've been told is "proper". Time to switch it up some..
I think, truthfully, that good fundamentals are the start, but if you have a grip, stance, etc, that works for you and you get good results then carry on. You have time to modify and try new techniques as you get more confident. It is very easy to overthink things and to listen to a lot of contradictory advice.

Here’s a couple of videos from Scott Jedlinski demonstrating what he calls the Wave grip.

I have several great investment firearms. Most were bought by my dad and a few by me. I have is 1903 Springfield he bought (still in cosmoline) that he paid $29.00 for. I also have a few old Colts he bought in the thirties, forties and fifties. Those are truly worth a bunch. But, there’re only worth something if you’re willing to sell them and the sentimental value trumps any dollar I’ve been offered.

Sometimes gun makers change the used gun market themselves.
Since Sig Sauer has gone mostly to plastic, now the older all metal P200 series are all going up in price.
And, of course, S&W shot themselves in the foot big time! :rolleyes: First they introduced MIM parts and then that damned lock! :poop: Prices on used S&W revolvers pre-MIM and especially pre-lock have gone through the roof! In many cases used S&Ws are selling for more than brand new ones. :rolleyes:
I own a couple of pre-lock S&W. I haven't bought a SW since precisely because they capitulated to the gun control crowd. I don't think their actions are a smooth as they were back then either. They seem to have a heavy pull, which could be part of their liability avoidance policy. As far as revolvers go, I find my Ruger's are as durable as any you're are going to find. I have had thousands of rounds through both 357's and 44mags and they shoot as good as the day I bought them. My Model 27 needed to be sent off to the smith at 800 rounds because the forcing cone, cylinder gap, and timing all went out of whack and started spitting lead everywhere. A good smith brought it back to spec for me, but my Rugers just keep on ticking. They are not fancy and certainly won't be collector items but they are dependable to the extreme.

I worked over 10 years at a higher end gun shop that specialized in collectible firearms. We did a lot of appraisals, and every once in a while somebody would have an "antique roadshow" moment. I regularly had people ask me what guns to buy as an investment and always had the same answer, none. Just like fine art, don't buy any gun as an investment, buy it because you like it and you will enjoy it. If it increases in value, that's just a bonus.

Back