testtest

Bank Scammer Warning Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bank's fraud dpt called me about some latest transactions. The last 3 were from an uber and 1 from a local store. Ok, I'm in Texas and 2 of the ubers were in San Fran and 1 in S Dakota all in the same day! This was within a 6 hour time frame. I told them I drive fast, but not that fast! The only transaction I made was the local 1. My money stayed in my account and they do a very good job handling it!

As a rule:

If a person CALLS YOU, do not EVER give out any information. Politely hang up. Find the published number for that establishment, and YOU call THEM.

Ditto emails and links - if you get something unsolicited in your inbox, and it has a "click here to log in" link...DON'T DO IT. All they're doing is harvesting your username and password. Same rule applies - YOU go to THEIR website, and use your normal login. Don't EVER follow a blind link. Any legit organization will email you, and tell you to go to your normal login to access the site.

Thats aweful @10mmLife. I would question if they stole your identity. I had some scumbag steal my debit card number once. While I was at the bank letting them know of a faulty charge, as they were looking at it, another one came through, They cancelled the card and I had the money refunded in about 7 days. I hope they do the same for you or I would be looking for another bank.
Now I am notified of every charge that goes through (from their app). All of my CC are set up that way as well. I only use virtual account numbers for credit cards on line (those are really cool and saved me last summer). They are getting smarter and more complex with this stuff to catch us off guard.
Hope your money is replaced.

Update:

I went to the bank first thing this morning and closed the old account and created a new one. After speaking with the bank rep and having them contact the banks fraud dept I was told they are pretty confident I will be able to get my money back in 10 business days. Pretty confident is not definite but it's better then nothing.

Note:
You're bank will never call you about fraudulent purchases don't be fooled by the calling phone number being the banks real number this can be spoofed!

Always hang up and call your bank directly.

For me this is a hard lesson learned!

Last edited:
Banks are not secure; hackers can obtain all the details of practically every account with that bank. This is why I am a strictly cash guy. IF I need to make an electronic transaction, I'll put the $$ into a reloadable debit card only when I'm ready to make a transaction. @10mmLife I'm sorry to hear you got ripped off! This just proves nobody can be too careful.

Banks are not secure; hackers can obtain all the details of practically every account with that bank. This is why I am a strictly cash guy. IF I need to make an electronic transaction, I'll put the $$ into a reloadable debit card only when I'm ready to make a transaction. @10mmLife I'm sorry to hear you got ripped off! This just proves nobody can be too careful.
It definitely reinforces the concept of internet safety!

Update:

The money was transferred back into my account yesterday from my bank. 😁👍

I cannot stress the point enough that if someone calls no matter if they have all the right info and the number even looks legit to hang up and dial your bank yourself to see if anything fishy is going on. There is zero reasons a call from your alleged bank would need you to act in the moment. One 6 digit number unrelated to my account allowed a hacker to transfer $5000. Out and fortunately I was able to recover it because I caught it so quickly.

The biggest issues are card readers at gas stations and people in malls with laptops using software to search for people using public WiFi. Someone got my card info when I first moved to Kentucky. Went to a restaurant and the waitress was gone way to long with my card, 3 months later I went shopping at Home Depot. Card I used was denied. Luckily I had two bank accounts so I completed my purchase and when I got in the truck I checked my mobile bank app and that one account was drained. Drove straight to the bank and filed a fraud claim. They were able to determine my card was cloned and the number being used across the country for Lyft rides and one big online purchase through Walmart. All my money was immediately replaced by the bank and I got a new card. I found out the bank eventually got all the charges reversed and they got there money back also. Every 6 months I change out my cards that are linked to my accounts to new numbers. This was 4 years ago and these criminals are getting better and better.

The biggest issues are card readers at gas stations and people in malls with laptops using software to search for people using public WiFi. Someone got my card info when I first moved to Kentucky. Went to a restaurant and the waitress was gone way to long with my card, 3 months later I went shopping at Home Depot. Card I used was denied. Luckily I had two bank accounts so I completed my purchase and when I got in the truck I checked my mobile bank app and that one account was drained. Drove straight to the bank and filed a fraud claim. They were able to determine my card was cloned and the number being used across the country for Lyft rides and one big online purchase through Walmart. All my money was immediately replaced by the bank and I got a new card. I found out the bank eventually got all the charges reversed and they got there money back also. Every 6 months I change out my cards that are linked to my accounts to new numbers. This was 4 years ago and these criminals are getting better and better.
That's insane how these scams happen!

I've been doing some reading on the issue and like you said public WiFi is a big issue especially when the owner of the router doesn't change the default password so the scammer can log into the router and monitor the traffic for credit card and bank log ins.

Another public WiFi scam is called a man in the middle where the scammer will name a router or hot spot the same as whatever business is offering free WiFi and when you think you are logging onto the business you are actually logging onto a fraud network where the scammers get all your info.

Don't use public WiFi

That's insane how these scams happen!

I've been doing some reading on the issue and like you said public WiFi is a big issue especially when the owner of the router doesn't change the default password so the scammer can log into the router and monitor the traffic for credit card and bank log ins.

Another public WiFi scam is called a man in the middle where the scammer will name a router or hot spot the same as whatever business is offering free WiFi and when you think you are logging onto the business you are actually logging onto a fraud network where the scammers get all your info.

Don't use public WiFi
I never use public WiFi.
And remember the banks don’t mind you rolling to a new card number on a regular basis. It saves a lot of headaches on their end also. I change mine regularly including after I travel.

Orbot is a good ap if you absolutley have to connect to public wifi.
20200331_103711.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back