testtest

Best 9mm ammo for home self defense?

And the Lucky Gunner test I mentioned earlier:

I’ll second or third or whatever Luckygunner. Their interface is really great and is pure data with pics of gel spent rounds. Based on LG’s info I recommend HST Micro, 124, or 147. Critical Defense 9mm in short barreled guns is very popular but if you look at the testing pics their expansion is irregular at best and unreliable at worst. Other solid rounds, based on LG data, are Ranger T (hard to find) and Speer Gold Dot (not quite as solid an all around performer). But as said above, you’ve got to make sure your gun runs it well. The XDS is a great gun and generally eats almost anything but every gun has a personality.

I’ll second or third or whatever Luckygunner. Their interface is really great and is pure data with pics of gel spent rounds. Based on LG’s info I recommend HST Micro, 124, or 147. Critical Defense 9mm in short barreled guns is very popular but if you look at the testing pics their expansion is irregular at best and unreliable at worst. Other solid rounds, based on LG data, are Ranger T (hard to find) and Speer Gold Dot (not quite as solid an all around performer). But as said above, you’ve got to make sure your gun runs it well. The XDS is a great gun and generally eats almost anything but every gun has a personality.

After some extensive and expensive bare gel testing, and with various clothing barriers, I switched from Critical Defense to Black Hills Honey Badger for both my 9mm's and my .380 EDC due to numerous failures to expand. I was surprised by my testing but it prompted the switch. Shot several boxes of each in my test. Test for yourself in your guns to find what works best for you.

LuckyGunner testing is great... just make sure you pay attention to the test gun used for each scenario. If they are using a 4 inch Glock and your gun is micro pistol, then your results ain’t gonna be the same as theirs.

What I would do is check the LG site for good performers, then check YouTube videos to see if someone has tested your gun with that ammo, then try that ammo as well as others to determine what ammo your gun likes to eat.

It’s tricky nowadays because of the ammo situation but normally that is what I have done in the past.

LuckyGunner testing is great... just make sure you pay attention to the test gun used for each scenario. If they are using a 4 inch Glock and your gun is micro pistol, then your results ain’t gonna be the same as theirs.

What I would do is check the LG site for good performers, then check YouTube videos to see if someone has tested your gun with that ammo, then try that ammo as well as others to determine what ammo your gun likes to eat.

It’s tricky nowadays because of the ammo situation but normally that is what I have done in the past.
Most of the LG semi-auto tests are short-barreled pistols—3.5” or less.

The .38 and .357 tests use both 4 and 2” barrel revolvers.

Most of the LG semi-auto tests are short-barreled pistols—3.5” or less.

The .38 and .357 tests use both 4 and 2” barrel revolvers.

Sure, but a person still needs to look at what gun they choose to use and plan accordingly. For example, my revolver isn’t 2 nor 4 inches so their results aren’t a 1:1 scenario for me.

They haven’t tested any of my guns so all I have ever been able to do is approximate results using their tables. They have, however, improved over the years by choosing guns that aren’t all glocks or m&p’s.

Sure, but a person still needs to look at what gun they choose to use and plan accordingly. For example, my revolver isn’t 2 nor 4 inches so their results aren’t a 1:1 scenario for me.

They haven’t tested any of my guns so all I have ever been able to do is approximate results using their tables. They have, however, improved over the years by choosing guns that aren’t all glocks or m&p’s.
I would say that if one is such an empiricist that only identical firearms are useful, that they should go all the way and do their own testing entirely (be sure your gel is properly calibrated and at the correct temperature!). Manufacturing differences may make for a tighter or looser bore, leading to velocity chamges from other pistols, even though identical models/barrel lengths; additionally, different lot numbers of ammunition may show differences as well...so be sure to test every new box you get!

Or, one can easily extrapolate data from tests already presented; whatever makes you happy.

I would say that if one is such an empiricist that only identical firearms are useful, that they should go all the way and do their own testing entirely (be sure your gel is properly calibrated and at the correct temperature!). Manufacturing differences may make for a tighter or looser bore, leading to velocity chamges from other pistols, even though identical models/barrel lengths; additionally, different lot numbers of ammunition may show differences as well...so be sure to test every new box you get!

Or, one can easily extrapolate data from tests already presented; whatever makes you happy.

I am engineer by degree and can extrapolate data just fine... Try extrapolating the additional penetration for a 6 inch barrel revolver from 2 inch barrel revolver data. It can be done but that is just not what I choose to do based on general online requests for information in the gun community, lol.

As stated, the LG data is useful (and I use it), but yeah, folks should include other data as input as well and they should pay attention to the test gun in ALL tests. That is my opinion. Maybe yours is to just use/rely on the LG data, which is fine as well.

Nobody said your LG opinion was crap. Unbunch yo panties.

If someone asks for recommendations, that’s a question asking for opinions. There is no requirement that all opinions and all user based experience must agree with yours.

I conduct my own scientifically extrapolated data collection. Usually in the back yard with lumber.

For instance, rather than rely on the probably flawed FBI data and the opinions of hundreds of “ Shooters” on the internet I conducted my own reality based experiment on 230 gr. Federal HST, fired out of a SAW M&P Shield .45 ACP with stock sights from 10 yards. My conclusion, a mediocre shooter ( me) can cut a treated 4x4 completely in half, blowing huge chunks out of the backside with one magazine (7 rds.) of the HST from 30’.
While you idjits are busy arguing over empirical data and doing endless algebra calculations some of us are busy doing the real work. 😂😂😂😂😂

I conduct my own scientifically extrapolated data collection. Usually in the back yard with lumber.

For instance, rather than rely on the probably flawed FBI data and the opinions of hundreds of “ Shooters” on the internet I conducted my own reality based experiment on 230 gr. Federal HST, fired out of a SAW M&P Shield .45 ACP with stock sights from 10 yards. My conclusion, a mediocre shooter ( me) can cut a treated 4x4 completely in half, blowing huge chunks out of the backside with one magazine (7 rds.) of the HST from 30’.
While you idjits are busy arguing over empirical data and doing endless algebra calculations some of us are busy doing the real work. 😂😂😂😂😂

Algebra is awesome.

Back