testtest

Best 9mm ammo for home self defense?

I must have missed the announcement that Pee Wee’s word of the day yesterday was:

EMPIRICAL
1609347257351.jpeg

Empirical! Hehehehe

I conduct my own scientifically extrapolated data collection. Usually in the back yard with lumber.

For instance, rather than rely on the probably flawed FBI data and the opinions of hundreds of “ Shooters” on the internet I conducted my own reality based experiment on 230 gr. Federal HST, fired out of a SAW M&P Shield .45 ACP with stock sights from 10 yards. My conclusion, a mediocre shooter ( me) can cut a treated 4x4 completely in half, blowing huge chunks out of the backside with one magazine (7 rds.) of the HST from 30’.
While you idjits are busy arguing over empirical data and doing endless algebra calculations some of us are busy doing the real work. 😂😂😂😂😂
I conduct my experiments with fmj at junked cars. Shooting windshields, doors and engines to gather my results. Even though math comes easy to me no math required.

What does the heavier grain do?
Heavier projectiles are longer - so they have to use faster powders which require smaller charge weights to make pressure faster and keep powder volume down in the case. As a result - more of the powder in a short barrel gets burned off before exiting the muzzle so the performance loss from a longer barrel to a shorter barrel is less noticeable than a lighter for caliber projectile with a slower powder.

For arguments sake - if a 4" 9mm spits out a 147 at 1000 FPS - a 3.3" might spit it out at like 975 FPS but the same guns would take a 1150FPS 115 and drop it down to like 1050FPS.

In short - you're more likely to get a projectile traveling at a speed it was designed to open up upon entering a soft target.
The downside of heavy for caliber projectiles is they tend to drop more across longer distances. It's not a ton - but it's observable. They also make the gun a little bit heavier - on a 15 round load out - a mag of 147s will be about an ounce+ heavier than a mag of 115s. Won't be an issue to most - but some people are very sensitive.

So correct me if I’m wrong...
Would 9mm, 124 grain range ammo like Blazer Brass have over penetration? I know it wouldn’t expand.
If you shooting a water buffalo probably not...😜

Its hard to tell what a bullet will do once it enters any material so the best we can do is predict what may happen based off of testing done repeatedly on various materials and surfaces.

Ball ammo normally does have a greater chance of deeper penetration than hollow tipped ammo of the same caliber.

If you shooting a water buffalo probably not...😜

Its hard to tell what a bullet will do once it enters any material so the best we can do is predict what may happen based off of testing done repeatedly on various materials and surfaces.

Ball ammo normally does have a greater chance of deeper penetration than hollow tipped ammo of the same caliber.
That's why I carry FMJ! I shot a piece of 1.5" bambo point blank with a 44mag 240gr sjhp and it did not go threw! Muzzle velocity was about 1,600fps.

Back