testtest

Best gun oil?

I bought a gun a few years back and it came with a free sample of some oil called green something, can't remember the name. so i used it after a shoot and ima gonna tell you a skunk smells better and not as strong as this crap was.

wasn't no way i was takin that stinkin gun in the house. i washed all that crap off good and then tossed that crap in the trash. I didn't think about it at the time but could used to get back at people i didn't like. a good spray in the engine compartment would have fixt em right up, but guess it's a good thing it got trashed.

I bought a gun a few years back and it came with a free sample of some oil called green something, can't remember the name. so i used it after a shoot and ima gonna tell you a skunk smells better and not as strong as this crap was.

wasn't no way i was takin that stinkin gun in the house. i washed all that crap off good and then tossed that crap in the trash. I didn't think about it at the time but could used to get back at people i didn't like. a good spray in the engine compartment would have fixt em right up, but guess it's a good thing it got trashed.
I would think you would have some very good insight on what, if any, types of lube are superior for full auto stuff. And you could probably dispel some myths about never cleaning them and they'll still run fine, etc.

I would think you would have some very good insight on what, if any, types of lube are superior for full auto stuff. And you could probably dispel some myths about never cleaning them and they'll still run fine, etc.
Many years ago i used grease on the Machine guns and all military style stuff, but i stopped using it when i pulled out a couple after years of none use and the grease had hardened and was really difficult to remove.

Mobile 1 just works, it's a ton cheaper than most brand name gun oils. a quart will last me a long time. now far as cleaning. I am severly OCD on stuff like that. it gets cleaned the same day or next after a shoot.

i am really trying to ease up on the oCD with cleaning these suppressors as they are a pain to clean and i don't clean them after every time but man, it bugs the heck outta me. lol

Many years ago i used grease on the Machine guns and all military style stuff, but i stopped using it when i pulled out a couple after years of none use and the grease had hardened and was really difficult to remove.

Mobile 1 just works, it's a ton cheaper than most brand name gun oils. a quart will last me a long time. now far as cleaning. I am severly OCD on stuff like that. it gets cleaned the same day or next after a shoot.

i am really trying to ease up on the oCD with cleaning these suppressors as they are a pain to clean and i don't clean them after every time but man, it bugs the heck outta me. lol
I have to say I have never used Mobil 1 or any motor oil, but that's not to say I wouldn't. I can say this. Once upon a time Bassbob was a manager of a Jiffy Lube. I did a little experiment using several brand name oils. Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State full synthetic and Castrol full synthetic. I took soup cans ( cleaned) and filled each of them with one of these oils. Then I took a flathead screwdriver ( minus the handle) and got it red hot with an acetylene torch and stuck it in each one of the cans. Only one of them did the oil not bake on to the screwdriver. The Castrol just rolled right off the red hot screwdriver. Since then it's the only oil I use in my (Gas) vehicles.

So I wonder if Castrol might be a suitable choice?

So why Mobil 1 and not some other synthetic motor oil ?
I don't know. it's what a guy that works on guns told me to try years ago and i did. i guess any oil will be better than none. I like it cause it never gets rank, some oils stink. it has no smell. I go through a lot of gun oil, 308 AR's need a lot of lubing. but i am also one of those people that always use too much. my mind tells me if the instructions say one drop i use three. or when two nails will hold, i use four.

I hate "best" opinions. I have a box full of miracle stuff. I mostly use G96 and a secret red grease. A couple other products remain on my bench. No I'm not gonna look to see what they are.
this is true, and in my beginning years, i read all the hype about all the lubes...and went on message boards for opinions....not anymore

Hoppes or Kroil for cleaning

Lucas, Mobil 1, and automotive high pressure red grease.

Oil threads for anything on any forum usually get crazy. this thread is tame compared to some on a chainsaw site i look at some. Used to be a Mod there and we hated oil threads. lol
should be a "sticky" or two on gun lubes, in BOLD lettering, and if anyone posts gun lube questions which can be found in those sticky's....??

that new thread ought to be deleted.

that "should" keep the debates down a great deal.

some websites i cruz, it is plainly said when you join, and you have to check "agree to", and when you want to post a thread...it says.........

"check the sticky threads before you post, for your possible answers".

If they remain civil i don't mind oil threads, and the ones here do. but on some sites there are guys that think if you use anything other than what they do you are a stupid ......... well i won't go any farther cause some people are know it alls and think they have the answer for everything. and when you get two know it alls that disagree then it usually gets into name calling and everything else. and on a site big as the one i modded, you will get several know it all. so it always got nasty.

JMHO if people are going to get hot under the collar over oil (and much else), are in desperate need of a real manual labor job, for minimal pay. Then they will be too tired and too involved with getting by to have the time or strength for STUPID :poop: .
The Mrs. has my grandmothers Tredell sewing machine, and I have her Win M94. Both are close to 100 years old. Both were only cleaned and oiled with 3 in 1. Both still work like a charm. Dad used 3 in 1 and it is all I have ever used. There might be better gun oils out there, but I am a firm believer in if it works don't fix it.

Last edited:
JMHO if people are going to get hot under the collar over oil (and much else), are in desperate need of a real manual labor job, for minimal pay. Then they will be too tired and too involved with getting by to have the time or strength for STUPID :poop: .
The Mrs. has my grandmothers Tredell sewing machine, and I have her Win M94. Both are close to 100 years old. Both were only cleaned and oiled with 3 in 1. Both still work like a charm. Dad used 3 in 1 and it is all I have ever used. There might be better gun oils out there, but I am a firm believer in if it works don't fix it.
i had at least 1 can of 3 in1 oil for decades...used it for everything around the house.

i also had Marvel Mystery oil.

if i recall, both were used for the kids bikes as well.

Back