testtest

Daffy Zone…..

807634-055699d2697fec8b722885f6a30ed2c3.data

That top row of numbers is code for 'Be still my heart', otherwise known as a Chevy V8 firing order. I'd like to write a song with that as the title ... you know, something like "R-e-s-p-e-c-t" or maybe "D-i-v-o-r-c-e". ;):) jj
I'm unaware of any Chevy engine that doesn't have that firing order (all v8 both small and big). Ford's industrial engines are stupid on firing orders even on the same engine! We have 534's from the early 70's to the early 80's. Head design changes, electrical changes and distributor changes also. The early 1's had a single rectangular port distributed to each bank, then changes to individual runners. When they did that, they cast a different firing order on the intake. I don't remember if this was the correct order or the wrongly stamped order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8? Somewhere in that order 2 were changed. My FIL called me 1 day as him and his oldest were working on a 534. Knowing I was well versed he asked "what is going on"? I asked about the order on the manifold/intake, he stated it, I told him it was incorrect, he changed the wires to the correct order and it ran way better. Who other than a 4-letter word to do such a moronic thing...............just ford is all!

I find that word rude and dismissive. I can tolerate it but I won’t use it. I fight fairly when I have to fight at all.
only time i ever got to use it back at her was when she was sick and she had a fecal incident, during a sneeze, when we were driving back to her house...she wanted to stop to hmm clean up and i said WHATEVER and kept driving, lowered windows and tried not to laugh so hard to cause me to loose control of the truck :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm unaware of any Chevy engine that doesn't have that firing order (all v8 both small and big). Ford's industrial engines are stupid on firing orders even on the same engine! We have 534's from the early 70's to the early 80's. Head design changes, electrical changes and distributor changes also. The early 1's had a single rectangular port distributed to each bank, then changes to individual runners. When they did that, they cast a different firing order on the intake. I don't remember if this was the correct order or the wrongly stamped order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8? Somewhere in that order 2 were changed. My FIL called me 1 day as him and his oldest were working on a 534. Knowing I was well versed he asked "what is going on"? I asked about the order on the manifold/intake, he stated it, I told him it was incorrect, he changed the wires to the correct order and it ran way better. Who other than a 4-letter word to do such a moronic thing...............just ford is all!
I'm not sure of the year it started, but the Chevy 5.3 V8's all have a little different order. I think it's like 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. I think that change had to do with them experimenting with AFM fuel management stuff. The 'stuff' of legends ... not too many things I dislike about Chevy/Gm, but this was one of them. I drive a Silverado with low mileage and the AFM system and fear it will someday crap out on me and be costly. So far it's been perfection at working, but hasn't shown me much fuel savings. I'd rather do without it than to worry about it every time I start my truck.

I'm not sure of the year it started, but the Chevy 5.3 V8's all have a little different order. I think it's like 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. I think that change had to do with them experimenting with AFM fuel management stuff. The 'stuff' of legends ... not too many things I dislike about Chevy/Gm, but this was one of them. I drive a Silverado with low mileage and the AFM system and fear it will someday crap out on me and be costly. So far it's been perfection at working, but hasn't shown me much fuel savings. I'd rather do without it than to worry about it every time I start my truck.
Might have been their 302's before 305's?

Ooops, I might have confused things a bit. You're right ... all Chevy SB's and BB's up until the 5.3 had the first firing order as we both mentioned. From the early 1956 265ci V8 through all the small blocks and big blocks including 283ci, 302ci (Z28), 305ci, 307ci (truck motors primarily), 327ci, 350ci, 348ci, 396ci, 409ci, 427ci, 454ci, 502ci, 572ci and the 64?ci iirc. And probably a couple I've missed, and several GM crate motor concoctions like the 383ci stroker motor.

Then in early 1997-99 I think, GM introduced their Gen III motors. There was a few years overlap IIRC, with both firing orders being used. It was during the same time GM was switching from the 'Vortec' to the 'LS' designations I think. Course GM is up to their Gen VI motors now.

I first memorized the original order when I was about 16 or so yrs old and remembered it all through the years. Then a few years ago I got old and had to quit working on my own stuff and actually didn't even know about the new firing order till about 2010 or so. I was really surprised to know about it too since the original had been so familiar for so long.

I don't claim all this to be absolutely correct or chronological, but I think it's pretty close. jj

Back