testtest

Daffy Zone…..

Ooops, I might have confused things a bit. You're right ... all Chevy SB's and BB's up until the 5.3 had the first firing order as we both mentioned. From the early 1956 265ci V8 through all the small blocks and big blocks including 283ci, 302ci (Z28), 305ci, 307ci (truck motors primarily), 327ci, 350ci, 348ci, 396ci, 409ci, 427ci, 454ci, 502ci, 572ci and the 64?ci iirc. And probably a couple I've missed, and several GM crate motor concoctions like the 383ci stroker motor.

Then in early 1997-99 I think, GM introduced their Gen III motors. There was a few years overlap IIRC, with both firing orders being used. It was during the same time GM was switching from the 'Vortec' to the 'LS' designations I think. Course GM is up to their Gen VI motors now.

I first memorized the original order when I was about 16 or so yrs old and remembered it all through the years. Then a few years ago I got old and had to quit working on my own stuff and actually didn't even know about the new firing order till about 2010 or so. I was really surprised to know about it too since the original had been so familiar for so long.

I don't claim all this to be absolutely correct or chronological, but I think it's pretty close. jj
You forgot the 402 which was a 396 with a .060" overbore that used the same crank. I did forget about the 307?

IMG_4746.jpeg

Exactly.

I used to stink of jet exhaust even after I ditched my coveralls. 🙄
OH how you bring back memories! When I was commander of a Titan II missile silo, we had a sewage ejection station that would periodically come on to pump our sewage to the septic tank topside. This little gem was located on level 3 of the control center, held only about 200 gallons of effluent but in a perverse display of overkill had two 480 volt 3 phase pumps. Situated between these two massive pumps was a flow control switch. It consisted of an electronics board whose sole purpose was to light a light on level 2 of the control center when the the sump was full. The flow control switch was the only thing in the entire complex that had a placard stating "FAILSAFE". It was connected to an arm which had rod going down into the sump. At the end of the rod was a float a little larger than a softball. In their infinite wisdom, the design engineers specified that the rod would be soft drawn copper.

So one night about 2 in the morning, I am on duty with one of the enlisted crew members (my MFT) and I hear what sounds like a waterfall sound. We had no warning lights on the consoles. We start to investigate. I went down to level one to see a stream of s**t blowing out of the hole where the control rod goes into the tank. The pressure was so intense that it was hitting the ceiling producing a beautiful but fragrant fountain. With no emergency pump activation switch available, the only thing left to do was go under the fountain and manually lift the the float controller arm to the up position. It turns out that the soft copper float rod was slightly out of plumb thus causing it to bend as the level rose.

Upon completing crew change, we drove back to the base with all of the windows down (it was winter in Kansas).
When I got home, my wife made me strip down to my tightie whities in the car port before she would let me into the house.

1698596694533.png

The ejector station is in the back of this picture:

Attachments

• T2 Site LCC Lvl1 Radios Pump.jpg
    T2 Site LCC Lvl1 Radios Pump.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 63
Back