testtest

Glock 17 Review: Best Full-Size 9mm?

The Glock 17 is a fine pistol. I personally carried one as my duty weapon for years. I agree with other posters that a shooter's love or hatred of Glock is purely subjective.

What I have noticed is that many shooters who swear that the Glock 17 is the best full-sized gun have never owned or carried any other full-sized guns. I knew many cops who purchased compact or subcompact backup/off-duty guns, but never purchased another full-sized semi-auto handgun (mainly because they already had one). I may be showing my age, but a good number of other officers I worked with only had experience with two full-sized handguns (the Beretta M9 in the military and their duty Glock). In these officers' experience, the Glock 17 was accurate and reliable, so they praised it as a great gun. These officers weren't wrong, but their opinion was given undue weight by their friends and neighbors simply because of their profession.

In my opinion, the Glock 17 is the best duty handgun for professional use. This has nothing to do with the Glock being the best gun for any particular individual shooter. Glocks have proven exceptionally reliable for people who wear them on a gun belt exposed to the elements year-round. Glocks can handle the wear-and-tear from getting bumped, scratched, and scuffed while holstered during scuffles when officers have to wrestle suspects on the ground. A large number of officers can fire the Glock 17 with acceptable accuracy, and they are simple for armorer's to maintain with minimal training. The Glock probably isn't the best full-sized gun for many officers, but it most likely is the best gun for the "average" officer and the most economical/practical for a department to adopt.

Well I have no issues or bias against Glocks. More so a bit against its Glock or nothing folks lol. I shot a lot of different guns at the range before narrowing it to a Glock 21 or xdm, I found the xdm cheaper and have kept buying Springfield ever since. Which is the story of how a got here.

I will buy a Glock at some point just to have. It still is an important gun in firearms history but I actually prefer the Glock 34 over 17 as far as full size goes. The 41 is nice as well :)

The G17 is a great pistol and has the credentials but there are other good options with possibly better features. The VP9, PPQ & PDP being top contenders, the XDM is another solid pistol choice. But honestly I think the new Beretta APX A1 Full Size matches these and is better in some ways and is $200-$250 less.

The Glock 17 is a fine pistol. I personally carried one as my duty weapon for years. I agree with other posters that a shooter's love or hatred of Glock is purely subjective.

What I have noticed is that many shooters who swear that the Glock 17 is the best full-sized gun have never owned or carried any other full-sized guns. I knew many cops who purchased compact or subcompact backup/off-duty guns, but never purchased another full-sized semi-auto handgun (mainly because they already had one). I may be showing my age, but a good number of other officers I worked with only had experience with two full-sized handguns (the Beretta M9 in the military and their duty Glock). In these officers' experience, the Glock 17 was accurate and reliable, so they praised it as a great gun. These officers weren't wrong, but their opinion was given undue weight by their friends and neighbors simply because of their profession.

In my opinion, the Glock 17 is the best duty handgun for professional use. This has nothing to do with the Glock being the best gun for any particular individual shooter. Glocks have proven exceptionally reliable for people who wear them on a gun belt exposed to the elements year-round. Glocks can handle the wear-and-tear from getting bumped, scratched, and scuffed while holstered during scuffles when officers have to wrestle suspects on the ground. A large number of officers can fire the Glock 17 with acceptable accuracy, and they are simple for armorer's to maintain with minimal training. The Glock probably isn't the best full-sized gun for many officers, but it most likely is the best gun for the "average" officer and the most economical/practical for a department to adopt.
Agreed. But has anyone mentioned they are ugly? Asking for a friend.😉

Ugly? I was trying to be diplomatic when mentioning aesthetics and the slide looked like a 2x4.
They are prevalent and seemingly everywhere, but "best" is a word that instigates fights in bars. Those claiming such and such is the pinnacle of anything is usually trying to find support for a choice they already made.
There is something for everyone out there, you just have to find it. Sometimes "good enough" is an ok choice. Maybe something else fits your hand or you just shoot better with another iron.

Ugly? I was trying to be diplomatic when mentioning aesthetics and the slide looked like a 2x4.
They are prevalent and seemingly everywhere, but "best" is a word that instigates fights in bars. Those claiming such and such is the pinnacle of anything is usually trying to find support for a choice they already made.
There is something for everyone out there, you just have to find it. Sometimes "good enough" is an ok choice. Maybe something else fits your hand or you just shoot better with another iron.
I learned as a young lad. Beauty is only skin deep. But ugly goes all the way to the bone.😉

The Glock is a purely functional, no frills combat pistol.

Form entirely following function.

In that, it’s a thing of beauty in its own right.
I love the way the Glock 17 looks. In fact when I bought an XD Mod 2 service .45 I was actually on the hunt for a Glock. I really, REALLY wanted a 4 or 5” Glock. I went to all the LGS around me and handled and shot every one I could get my hands on. None of them felt comfortable enough in my hands for me to buy though.

Still love the way they look.

Did you use a crayon to whiten the engraving? Seen Gunblue490 do a video on this process for the M1A...
the wifes, white finger nail polish.

when i told her i need some finger nail polish, she thought at first that i "turned" into something...........can't say no more than that.

told her, "if i was "going to turn" i'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe.

anyways, apply the polish, use a credit card, to squeegee the rest off, then let it dry a bit, using a ROUND cotton pads, with nail polish remover (a certain type) USE THE CORRECT nail polish remove...!!!, GENTLY wipe off the slide to remove the dried polish off the slide.

one video i think i followed

Last edited:
1655479582857.jpeg

the wifes, white finger nail polish.

when i told her i need some finger nail polish, she thought at first that i "turned" into something...........can't say no more than that.

told her, "if i was "going to turn" i'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe.

anyways, apply the polish, use a credit card, to squeegee the rest off, then let it dry a bit, using a ROUND cotton pads, with nail polish remover (a certain type) USE THE CORRECT nail polish remove...!!!, GENTLY wipe off the slide to remove the dried polish off the slide.

one video i think i followed
I did this 4 years ago. I went into the local cvs/Walgreens type store and asked where's the fingernail polish? I did tell the young female working there it was for me, but using it as not intended! I did go back in and show proof of what I used it for.
20220617_113421.jpg

Back