testtest

good day at the range

There are numerous indoor ranges in multiple cities just none close to me. I don't want to drive 150 or more miles just to shoot in an indoor range. If there are some closer I don't know about them.
i know all too well about driving...as a former trucker, when i retired, i had racked up just a tad over 4 million miles. that was from coast to coast, south, and up as far as parts of Canada.

in later years, it was more of a regional (localized) driving.

my state has a really nice free outdoor range, that one has to obtain a pass, that lasts 5 years.

i have that pass, and been there all of 2 times. (once for the class/rules, once to shoot)

it is about a 50 minute drive from my house.

when ever i go to my club, 1.8 miles away, that's "too far" to drive nowadays, given my tiredness from all my years of driving.

so i just don't really wanna take all of 2 boxes of ammo (my max limits), drive round trip of nearly 2 hours, for a mere 20 minutes of shooting.

so yes, i understand your situation about driving.

not knowing other than you are in south Texas, all i too could find were these:

i know all too well about driving...as a former trucker, when i retired, i had racked up just a tad over 4 million miles. that was from coast to coast, south, and up as far as parts of Canada.

in later years, it was more of a regional (localized) driving.

my state has a really nice free outdoor range, that one has to obtain a pass, that lasts 5 years.

i have that pass, and been there all of 2 times. (once for the class/rules, once to shoot)

it is about a 50 minute drive from my house.

when ever i go to my club, 1.8 miles away, that's "too far" to drive nowadays, given my tiredness from all my years of driving.

so i just don't really wanna take all of 2 boxes of ammo (my max limits), drive round trip of nearly 2 hours, for a mere 20 minutes of shooting.

so yes, i understand your situation about driving.

not knowing other than you are in south Texas, all i too could find were these:

Old_Me thanks for your research. The range in Markham is 75 miles from me. It's been a few years that I regularly competed in rifle & pistol matches there. The club/range I belong to is much better and closer. I usually shoot 2-3 days a month. I would like shoot more often but medical issues won't let me. Getting older is much better than the alternative, but it still sucks.

Old_Me thanks for your research. The range in Markham is 75 miles from me. It's been a few years that I regularly competed in rifle & pistol matches there. The club/range I belong to is much better and closer. I usually shoot 2-3 days a month. I would like shoot more often but medical issues won't let me. Getting older is much better than the alternative, but it still sucks.
that's what i face.

the club i belong to is 1.8 miles from my house, but the backwall is like only 40 feet.

the range i was going to, that jacked up thier membership, is 75 feet, or the required 25 yards for the ccw test.

if i do not renew my membership there, i will at least pay the fee for the port, and the test. so about $125.00

and that place is 20 minutes from my house.

another club, indoor/outdoor ranges, has memberships for about $200 per year, but, i have to go thru Massachusetts then back into my state, where it is....30 minutes away

i'd prefer to go thru my state, but that is 1 hour drive time.

the past several range trips were lousy.....oh, i liked getting away from the house and shooting, but my shot placements were not that good, let alone great. i was shooting, 9mm, and 38 specials as they were due for the range

which is why i hadn't posted any pics...

i was really feeling disgusted about my shooting

but the rotation of guns today, made me take my Dan Wesson Heritage 1911, in 45 ACP of course.

well today was a GREAT DAY AT THE RANGE, in a while, so much so, i even was able to pick up at least 3 of my 230 gr. bullets. somehow, the backstop seems to distort them with that sudden stop....... :ROFLMAO:

i've said it more than once before....."I LOVE MY 1911's"

1714569987034.png

this was the first target, and the few bottom shots (6) were my "warm up" shots...

otherwise, 50 rds, reloaded 230 gr, at 25 feet away

1714570113836.png

and the second target, using Federal 230 gr FMJ, 50 rds, 25 feet away
1714570195862.png

the past several range trips were lousy.....oh, i liked getting away from the house and shooting, but my shot placements were not that good, let alone great. i was shooting, 9mm, and 38 specials as they were due for the range

but the rotation of guns today, made me take my Dan Wesson Heritage 1911, in 45 ACP of course.

well today was a GREAT DAY AT THE RANGE, in a while, so much so, i even was able to pick up at least 3 of my 230 gr. bullets. somehow, the backstop seems to distort them with that sudden stop....... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 56942

this was the first target, and the few bottom shots (6) were my "warm up" shots...

View attachment 56943

View attachment 56944
Very nice !
See what happens when you dont use the Hi-point 😉😃👍

View attachment 56942

View attachment 56943

View attachment 56944
Good shooting!

today was Sig STX 1911 day at the club.

i still have about 1300 rounds of 45 ACP reloads, at the starting charge..

it's time to ramp that up, to maybe 5.0 grains, just under the 5.1 max charge as per the 2 Lyman books.

i could see and of course feel the higher charges from factory ammo, for a long time now.

these on this target are from Federal ammo.

after seeing time and time again a side by side comparisons to the low charged reloads, it's now that time i move on up.

2 high, 1 low the rest in the zone.

my other target showing the reloaded shots were ok, but not anywhere near the shot placement of factory ammo. i was told by a reloader i know, my bullets must be "lobbing thier way to the target"....that was when i first started, and he even encouraged me to bump it up a bit from starting charge

not claiming to be an expert reloader, nor will not even think of doing so, just time to move on up the powder charges.

9mm will get the same near max loads when that time comes to replenish that stock.

1715378009619.png

ok, took my CZ 75B Omega to the club, and 2 boxes of recent reloads

Berry's Bullets, copper coated RN, 115 gr, 4.3 gr. Titegroup, 1.135 OAL

25 feet, 50 rounds each target.

1st target, i did not have good trigger control, the CZ trigger is curve, and that threw me off a bit, over my other guns.

2nd target, i had better trigger control

1719926260685.png

2nd target, same specs as above..

1719926299019.png

took the CZ 97 B (45 ACP) to the club. 1 box of lead cast reloads from last year, 1 box Winchester FMJ, all ammo, 230 grain

love that CZ, any CZ that i own.

all shooting i do, (and have done), i have to slightly lean on the port table, cuz i cannot steady myself as i mentioned many times due to all my back operations, and never a bench rest.....2 handed grip always.

1st target, a couple fliers.... with my reloads, 50 rounds, 25 feet.

1720530922261.png

2nd target, 50 rounds, Winchester, 25 feet. 1 flier

1720530986077.png

dang good day at the range, now back home, sweltering in this humidity.......till i go back out in a little bit.

took the CZ 97 B (45 ACP) to the club. 1 box of lead cast reloads from last year, 1 box Winchester FMJ, all ammo, 230 grain

love that CZ, any CZ that i own.

all shooting i do, (and have done), i have to slightly lean on the port table, cuz i cannot steady myself as i mentioned many times due to all my back operations, and never a bench rest.....2 handed grip always.

1st target, a couple fliers.... with my reloads, 50 rounds, 25 feet.

View attachment 61760

2nd target, 50 rounds, Winchester, 25 feet. 1 flier

View attachment 61761

dang good day at the range, now back home, sweltering in this humidity.......till i go back out in a little bit.
Dang good day is certainly correct Old_Me! Very good groups for someone that says he has a hard time staying steady! A lot of folks who are steady wish they could do as well. Don’t ask me how I know.

Dang good day is certainly correct Old_Me! Very good groups for someone that says he has a hard time staying steady! A lot of folks who are steady wish they could do as well. Don’t ask me how I know.
it's true though..i can not stand steady..i have to lean a bit into the shooting ports' bench. once i have set myself up, i can hold the gun steady.

dang back operations did that to me.

Back