testtest

Hellcat OSP and 147g JHP

Lab Us

Elite
Greetings all, been a long time lurker and have only owned 3 SA guns…an XD Mod 2 in .45 (Grip Zone days), a Saint .556 pistol, both of which are gone, and I picked up a Hellcat OSP just yesterday…which leads me to my question.

No ammo wars please, just want to know if anyone has experience with 147g JHPs in their regular Hellcat OSP - not a Pro. I ask because I’d like to try some Winchester Ranger T in that size but can only find it by the half case so would prefer to hear some success stories before shelling out $400-500.

Greatly appreciate any insights. Since gun is brand new, the search for total reliable ammunition feeding begins!

I am planning on replacing a Glock 43 with the Hellcat as my CCW, mainly for capacity issues. Got tired of messing with magazine extensions that sometimes worked and definitely liked the 13+1 OEM load of the Hellcat. Also, the manual safety gives me peace of mind to try AIWB carry.

My thoughts, the 147gr the velocity will be slower then the 115gr and 124gr, I am not sure that out of the Hellcats barrel you will get any expansion, in a small pistol I hardly ever go heavier the 115gr

SIG makes ammo and have developed ammo specifically for their subcompact P365. I have not seen anything on testing of 147 grain ammo in the microguns, although I am sure someone has done the testing.. That said, I would not get too wrapped around the axle over ballistics in microguns. At the ranges these guns are likely to be used, anything that makes the gun function reliably will work. The only question I have is whether the 147GR HP slug moving slower will expand reliably. I would expect greater recoil and muzzle flash from a 147 gr round.

Last edited:
This is what the ammo I’m referring to was tested in, which I think has a 3.5” barrel. SMITH & WESSON M&P9C. Below is the penetration and expansion from Lucky Gunner Ammo test, https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm. Seems like best results of 52 different rounds tested.

IMG_0038.jpeg

SIG makes ammo and have developed ammo specifically for their subcompact P365. I have not seen anything on testing of 147 grain ammo in the microguns, although I am sure someone has done the testing.. That said, I would not get too wrapped around the axle over ballistics in microguns. At the ranges these guns are likely to be used, anything that makes the gun function reliably will work. The only question I have is whether the 147GR HP slug moving slower will expand reliably. I would expect greater recoil and muzzle flash from a 147 gr round.

I can't say anything towards the 365 concerning 147 gr. ammo . However I have a Keltec PF9 that was very snappy with 115 gr ammo . I went to the 147 gr ammo and it is more of a shove then a snap.

I bit the bullet after finding the Ranger T 147g at Lucky Gunner for $35 a box of 50 (by the half case). $20 shipping and already shipped! If it doesn’t work out for the Hellcat, I have other 9mm it will.

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts.

I to use 147 gr hst bullets in my EDC 9mm pistols. My second choice is Double Tap 147 gr Gold Dots. On the box Fed rates their bullet at 1000fps barrel length not given. Double Tap rates their bullet at 1125fps out of a 4-1/2" barrel.

I’ll let you know although finding 147 locally is a challenge. Don’t necessarily want to buy a box online with goofy shipping costs. I’ll find some to try eventually.
I have a Keltec PF 9 and it is not fun to shoot with 115 GR ammo. It is very snappy when shooting the 115 GR ammo. I went to 147 GR and it is more of a push then a snap on recoil. It still isn't a pistol you want to put 200 rounds through at a time but it is easier to get through 50 or more rounds.

Keep in mind the PF 9 is very thin at .88" wide and it weighs 12.7 OZ.

Back