testtest

Hellcat OSP and 147g JHP

I have a Keltec PF 9 and it is not fun to shoot with 115 GR ammo. It is very snappy when shooting the 115 GR ammo. I went to 147 GR and it is more of a push then a snap on recoil. It still isn't a pistol you want to put 200 rounds through at a time but it is easier to get through 50 or more rounds.

Keep in mind the PF 9 is very thin at .88" wide and it weighs 12.7 OZ.
Thanks 👍

That's the micro stuff. I don't know anyone who's tried it.
Well one would think it would work in tiny pistols. I've not tried it but I've got several boxes of it just because. Walmart clearance it out at giveaway prices when they got rid of all their gang banger ammo and military 223/5.56 as they called it several yrs ago. Heck I was buying 500 round packages of Winchester and federal for $90, crazy!

Well one would think it would work in tiny pistols. I've not tried it but I've got several boxes of it just because. Walmart clearance it out at giveaway prices when they got rid of all their gang banger ammo and military 223/5.56 as they called it several yrs ago. Heck I was buying 500 round packages of Winchester and federal for $90, crazy!
You should try it. And take notes. I for one would be interested in how it performs. I've never seen it on a shelf or for sale anywhere. I have some 147 gr. HST, but I've got a hell of a lot of 124 gr. HST. It can still be bought in 50 round boxes for about $30, so I buy it often.

You should try it. And take notes. I for one would be interested in how it performs. I've never seen it on a shelf or for sale anywhere. I have some 147 gr. HST, but I've got a hell of a lot of 124 gr. HST. It can still be bought in 50 round boxes for about $30, so I buy it often.
TNoutdoors ( also known as shootinthebull ) Is who I think I saw do the test on 150 HST and said it didn't do very well.

IMG_4470.jpeg
Made it to the range today with my new tiny Hellcat. In order, fired 50 x Federal LE Tactical 124g HST, 17 x Freedom Munitions X-Def 135g +P BHP, 15 x Federal Punch Hellcat 124g JHP, 50 x Winchester SuperX WinClean 147g FMJ, and 50 x Winchester Ranger T-Series 147g JHP. All fed perfectly, fired perfectly, and ejected perfectly (well, I did catch some hot brass on my bare forearms and took a couple of brass head shots after brass bounced off lane walls, neither of which was guns fault).

The Holosun SCS-Carry was solid, as has been my experience with all Holosuns I’ve used so far. At 5 yds, didn’t even make one adjustment out of the box. I had let the locktite set for 72 hours and optic seems to have remained solidly attached.

That’s 432 trouble free rounds across multiple weights, brands, and bullet types. Good enough for me to trust it for EDC.

Targets below are nothing special. First two targets were at 5 yds, and was mostly doing mag dumps to test gun with ammo, but did get try to get reticle back on target before firing. On last target skeleton, with the Win Ranger T 147g, it was @3 yds, five to each shoulder, @5 yds, 10 to center, @7 yds, 10 to center, @15 yards, 5 to center, slow fire (the three misses), and back @3 yds, 5 strings of 2 to center, 1 to head.

IMG_4471.jpeg

IMG_4473.jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg

IMG_4474.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
My thoughts, the 147gr the velocity will be slower then the 115gr and 124gr, I am not sure that out of the Hellcats barrel you will get any expansion, in a small pistol I hardly ever go heavier the 115gr

Answer #1 - If the OP * wants * to use some Ranger T 147 , go for it ! It's a semi free country , and I won't endeavor to talk him out of it .

Various Rambling :

Once upon a decade with OG sub 1lb micro 9mm , after some experimenting concluded on std pressure 115 . More recently with my recently acquired new to me ( but 2017 born on date ) micro 9mm with better ergonomics ( in the context of My XXL hands , YMMV ) I'm tentatively going with my default 9mm defensive load .

I'm old school old fart . I have always disliked 147 , for reasons. Admittedly the current Latest Greatest Wonder 147 loads suck less than they used to . But still don't see any reason to favor any of it over a lot of 124 , or some of the better 115 .

With only 5% cynicism-
Today were have so much excellent 9mm Defensive ammo , the problem is trying to differentiate in a significant and meaningful way . Yeah , in the 1980's was huge gap between the good and not good , but today , not really .

Any of the top 6 or 10 9mm Duty or Premium Defense ammo is " More Than Plenty Good " , and the differences are subtle , and often only applicable to a niche parameter. So you can use tertiary factors as tiebreaker.

Availability, and price .

HST 124 in 50 rd boxes for $28 . Reasonable enough to do practice , extended function checking , don't think twice about rotating fresh ammo for multiple guns and mags . Micro and regular size pistols.

Answer #1 - If the OP * wants * to use some Ranger T 147 , go for it ! It's a semi free country , and I won't endeavor to talk him out of it .

Various Rambling :

Once upon a decade with OG sub 1lb micro 9mm , after some experimenting concluded on std pressure 115 . More recently with my recently acquired new to me ( but 2017 born on date ) micro 9mm with better ergonomics ( in the context of My XXL hands , YMMV ) I'm tentatively going with my default 9mm defensive load .

I'm old school old fart . I have always disliked 147 , for reasons. Admittedly the current Latest Greatest Wonder 147 loads suck less than they used to . But still don't see any reason to favor any of it over a lot of 124 , or some of the better 115 .

With only 5% cynicism-
Today were have so much excellent 9mm Defensive ammo , the problem is trying to differentiate in a significant and meaningful way . Yeah , in the 1980's was huge gap between the good and not good , but today , not really .

Any of the top 6 or 10 9mm Duty or Premium Defense ammo is " More Than Plenty Good " , and the differences are subtle , and often only applicable to a niche parameter. So you can use tertiary factors as tiebreaker.

Availability, and price .

HST 124 in 50 rd boxes for $28 . Reasonable enough to do practice , extended function checking , don't think twice about rotating fresh ammo for multiple guns and mags . Micro and regular size pistols.
I'm embarrassed to admit how many 50 round boxes of 124 gr. HST I have. I've pretty much always run 124 in all my 9mms. No particular reason I suppose. I do have some 147 HST and I notice no difference in POI, but I generally shoot 124 gr. FMJ in training or practice so I just usually stick with that weight for carry ammo.

Actually hit the range today with 50 147g Win X Clean and 50 rounds Ranger T Series, both 147g. Have since added the threaded 3.8 barrel and comp.

The JHP were magazine dumps as fast as I thought I was back on target. The Ranger T was 2 and 3 shot strings.

Seemed to work pretty well, especially the Ranger T.

Pretty sure that Ranger T would work as necessary if ever needed. There were zero malfunctions, but I’ve had nothing choke the Hellcat yet…

IMG_4515.jpeg

IMG_4516.jpeg

I have some 147 defensive ammo in my box, however I have not shot enough of it to make a determination about it. I did buy a fresh box of Winchester 147 JHP the other day. I don't remember the name, but it was a black box of 50. My next range trip, I will take the 147's and see how they do.

I normally use 124 and 115 both in range ammo and defensive stuff.

Joe

I am 30 years out of date, and now carry 124 gran loads. But when LAPD went to 9mm, first went to 88 SPs, then to 147grain bullets, unknown brand, finally settled on 115 grain HPs, I was confused. Only shooting was with the last grain. What they carry now, I have no idea.

Greetings all, been a long time lurker and have only owned 3 SA guns…an XD Mod 2 in .45 (Grip Zone days), a Saint .556 pistol, both of which are gone, and I picked up a Hellcat OSP just yesterday…which leads me to my question.

No ammo wars please, just want to know if anyone has experience with 147g JHPs in their regular Hellcat OSP - not a Pro. I ask because I’d like to try some Winchester Ranger T in that size but can only find it by the half case so would prefer to hear some success stories before shelling out $400-500.

Greatly appreciate any insights. Since gun is brand new, the search for total reliable ammunition feeding begins!

I am planning on replacing a Glock 43 with the Hellcat as my CCW, mainly for capacity issues. Got tired of messing with magazine extensions that sometimes worked and definitely liked the 13+1 OEM load of the Hellcat. Also, the manual safety gives me peace of mind to try AIWB carry.
i carry the federal 147g hydra shock or hst ammo in all my 9mm's including the hellcat my edc, federal made a punch ammo specifically for the hellcat, however i got a box just because it was labeled specifically for hellcat. federal punch is good ammo however being retired leo, we always were issued the 147g hydra shock after extensive testing of different ammos

Back