testtest

I guess this is the right place to ask

Which table would you pick for a budget?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I put a shed up and built myself a workspace. The wife doesn't care if I clean or work on guns in the house. Even right on the very expensive dining room table. I'd rather do it out on my bench.

It looks a lot different now. It has evolved since this was taken.

qtAVo52.jpg

4Dk8cxk.jpg

kjQdHUl.jpg
Very nice bassbob sweet space

The 2 tops I have a solid bamboo 1.75" thick that came from Sam's Club that did come with a fairly heave metal frame. You can find from $130 - 500 (the later is a rolling tool chest, if you want storage). If it's not a heavy bench it try too tip forward on down stroke plus the added weight of bullets, cases, dies, powder and other necessities close too you. What are you willing too spend for long term use?
Bamboo likely makes a great bench top. Bamboo is some amazing stuff for many things including table tops, counter tops and flooring. Too bad the material hasn't really caught on in this country better. Bamboo isn't wood though is as durable or more than many types of wood, classified as a grass and grows like it.

Bamboo likely makes a great bench top. Bamboo is some amazing stuff for many things including table tops, counter tops and flooring. Too bad the material hasn't really caught on in this country better. Bamboo isn't wood though is as durable or more than many types of wood, classified as a grass and grows like it.
It stopped a 44mag at pbr, so it's tough enough! I tested it by accident. It has held up real well, but oak, maple or cherry would be a crime🤣! I've been using it for 7 years now.

It stopped a 44mag at pbr, so it's tough enough! I tested it by accident. It has held up real well, but oak, maple or cherry would be a crime🤣! I've been using it for 7 years now.
Wouldn't doubt it, bamboo is durable stuff!
On the other hand, another amazing thing, we picked up some bamboo bed sheets and they're soft and comfortable. Never would've believed it. Likely get more.

Definately agree on not using nicer wood for a work top.

I have "converted" an old, oak dining room table into a work bench by adding 2 x 12 boards (reclaimed) across its top. The boards are screwed to 1 x 4 deck boards and then I just laid the new "deck" across the original top.
If I anticipate a juicey operation, I lay cardboard on top of the wood so it may easily be disposed of should there be an industrial scale spill. I also use a steel baking sheet for wet operations with a 1/2 lip around the edges.
Additional bracing has also been jammed beneath the table just in case.
I actually spent money on the baking sheet and screws.

For my rifle maintenance I have the Tipton's Ultra gun vice.

I have "converted" an old, oak dining room table into a work bench by adding 2 x 12 boards (reclaimed) across its top. The boards are screwed to 1 x 4 deck boards and then I just laid the new "deck" across the original top.
If I anticipate a juicey operation, I lay cardboard on top of the wood so it may easily be disposed of should there be an industrial scale spill. I also use a steel baking sheet for wet operations with a 1/2 lip around the edges.
Additional bracing has also been jammed beneath the table just in case.
I actually spent money on the baking sheet and screws.

For my rifle maintenance I have the Tipton's Ultra gun vice.
I was thinking about one of those, but I'd rather have a big azz vice that rotates in all directions. I am conflicted though.

I was thinking about one of those, but I'd rather have a big azz vice that rotates in all directions. I am conflicted though.
Well, I mounted my (larger than I like to move around) 6 inch opening vice on three 2 x 4s using counter sunk bolts from the bottom and strap bracing along both ends of the boards. It sits quite well on one end of the "bench" now but has been occasionally moved from place to place as needed. The vice also retains its ability to rotate.
It is quite stabile. In fact, I was surprised how the addition of a platform only about 12 x 16, combined with the weight of the cast iron made it uncomfortably heavy.
If it really comes to the application of a large hammer, I can use my clamps to rigidly fasten it to the table. I have also clamped it to the drill press on occasion.

If the flood comes, I can always throw it in the bottom of the boat for ballast!

PS My reloading press (Dillon RL 550) is mounted to a similarly modified Black and Decker Workmate. I bolted 2 x 12s to the top of it, with strap bracing, for additional surface area and rigidity. I have to drag it to move it now or get the odd two teenagers to carry it.

Well, I mounted my (larger than I like to move around) 6 inch opening vice on three 2 x 4s using counter sunk bolts from the bottom and strap bracing along both ends of the boards. It sits quite well on one end of the "bench" now but has been occasionally moved from place to place as needed. The vice also retains its ability to rotate.
It is quite stabile. In fact, I was surprised how the addition of a platform only about 12 x 16, combined with the weight of the cast iron made it uncomfortably heavy.
If it really comes to the application of a large hammer, I can use my clamps to rigidly fasten it to the table. I have also clamped it to the drill press on occasion.

If the flood comes, I can always throw it in the bottom of the boat for ballast!

PS My reloading press (Dillon RL 550) is mounted to a similarly modified Black and Decker Workmate. I bolted 2 x 12s to the top of it, with strap bracing, for additional surface area and rigidity. I have to drag it to move it now or get the odd two teenagers to carry it.
About a vise, not advice🤔? I have a vise that mounts on a receiver hitch and have an under side mount on the table so it can be removed. Just a piece of 2" square tubing recepticle.

I'm prepared for a flood.

Those piers are 40" deep and belled out like an elephant's foot at the bottom. The ones in the back are 42" tall ( so 82" of concrete total) the ones in the front are about 24" tall ( so 64" of concrete). All lovingly hand mixed by me. I think it was about 83 80lb bags of concrete. That was a long day. Shed isn't going anywhere.

ZRhdZhb.jpg

Doors moved and landing started,
LNNWmYE.jpg

I'm prepared for a flood.

Those piers are 40" deep and belled out like an elephant's foot at the bottom. The ones in the back are 42" tall ( so 82" of concrete total) the ones in the front are about 24" tall ( so 64" of concrete). All lovingly hand mixed by me. I think it was about 83 80lb bags of concrete. That was a long day. Shed isn't going anywhere.

ZRhdZhb.jpg

LNNWmYE.jpg
Sakrete, Oh how wonderful! I've never mixed that much in a day! Maybe 30 bags and that was enough!

I dug the holes on a Friday night and poured the piers on Saturday. Piers cured for a month before I wrangled that shed up on it.
If you've already answered this, I apologize ..... but why the need to put it up so high? Is the ground all that low where it's located?

Just an afterthought..... but you could fence it in all under there and get some chickens !!! (y)(y)(y)

About a vise, not advice🤔? I have a vise that mounts on a receiver hitch and have an under side mount on the table so it can be removed. Just a piece of 2" square tubing recepticle.
Hummm, related to a plumber, electrician, or field service mechanic huh?
The ones I've seen mounted on bumpers need three teen-agers to move...or one fork lift.
There is absolutely no substitute for a good vice when you need one.

Hummm, related to a plumber, electrician, or field service mechanic huh?
The ones I've seen mounted on bumpers need three teen-agers to move...or one fork lift.
There is absolutely no substitute for a good vice when you need one.
The 1 on the bench is nothing more than 2" tubing with flat metal for using bolts/screws to the bottom of the bench top. I used carriage head bolts it made the top smoother. I'm the only mechanic in my family. As far as the rest of what you mentioned my dad fixed most things with a hammer, baling wire and duct tape ;) :unsure::ROFLMAO:. He was a welder, pilot, racehorse trainer and was very ingenious/adaptive with most things. Doing ranching and farming we could "ride, rope, hammer, paint and do things that most men cain't". That last bit came from a song. Couldn't resist!

If you've already answered this, I apologize ..... but why the need to put it up so high? Is the ground all that low where it's located?

Just an afterthought..... but you could fence it in all under there and get some chickens !!! (y)(y)(y)

My house was built in 1956. If you look at the picture of the shed, the tree line you see behind it is located at the shoulder of a 40' tall hill that slopes down to the river, where my property ends. Despite the fact that even though every year or two the river takes over the backyard and leaves us only two ways out of the neighborhood, which is to swim or boat, the house never flooded. Not once. Until 2017 when the Big River watershed got 12" of rain in less than 48 hours. River level records set in 1913 were broken. By 4'. For 3 days my house had a foot of water in it. We lost all but our most important possessions and spent 6 months living in a friend's basement while I gutted my house from the floor joist up. If it was under water or in the house while the house had river water in it for 3 days it got thrown in a dumpster. Every piece of drywall, every bit of electrical and plumbing, the floor joists ( I had bottle jacks holding up interior walls while I replaced the joists). From the electric pole in, from the septic tank in and from the well head in were all replaced. I removed walls, added french doors and sliding doors, completely re-designed the house. In short, only the exterior walls survived and then only because due to FEMA floodway rules if 50% of the house is destroyed it has to come down. And there is no rebuilding in a flood way. Yes I had flood insurance. It isn't a valued policy though. They came in and assessed the damage and awarded us 24k because they said we could just cut out the bottom 1' of drywall. They wouldn't replace the floor, the insulation, any of our possessions, nada. I had to take out a 40k loan to pay for the material I needed to do the work because there is no way in hell anything that sat in that house for 3 days being permeated by the smell of river flood water was going to remain if I was going to stay there. Which since I am a couple years away from the house being paid off, I was kinda stuck. Being a carpenter/contractor most of my adult life I did all the work myself. It took 6 months of coming here after work all week, working until about 11 then driving back up to my friend's house to sleep, getting up and doing it over again. And we just stayed here sleeping wherever on the weekends. I also own the house down the street that my daughter lives in, which thankfully is a block home, so we just threw everything away, power washed it and started over.

So now the house is the way I would have built it instead of the way some dude in 1956 built it. And we are dramatically overinsured, with a valued contents policy.

When we knew the house was getting wet I took all my musical equipment, PA rig, bass and guitar amps and cabs and loaded them into my van, which I then pulled on to my 16' trailer, hooked to my truck and parked on the highest spot I could find. Guitars, guns, computers and photographs and other important stuff was hauled up into the attic through a 3x3 hatch. Unloading the attic after the flood looked like clowns getting out of a clown car and required a 4 person assembly line operation. Everything else we owned was either destroyed by the flood or permanently infused with the smell of a million septic tanks which mingled with the river as it flooded out the valley.

So, I bought a nice, prebuilt Cooks portable 12x20 shed, used for $800 then spent about $1300 raising it up 2' higher than the 2017 flood level. In the unlikely event that we have a repeat performance all of our important things will go to the shed instead of the menagerie we had going on through attic hatches and backs of vans in 2017.

My house was built in 1956. If you look at the picture of the shed, the tree line you see behind it is located at the shoulder of a 40' tall hill that slopes down to the river, where my property ends. Despite the fact that even though every year or two the river takes over the backyard and leaves us only two ways out of the neighborhood, which is to swim or boat, the house never flooded. Not once. Until 2017 when the Big River watershed got 12" of rain in less than 48 hours. River level records set in 1913 were broken. By 4'. For 3 days my house had a foot of water in it. We lost all but our most important possessions and spent 6 months living in a friend's basement while I gutted my house from the floor joist up. If it was under water or in the house while the house had river water in it for 3 days it got thrown in a dumpster. Every piece of drywall, every bit of electrical and plumbing, the floor joists ( I had bottle jacks holding up interior walls while I replaced the joists). From the electric pole in, from the septic tank in and from the well head in were all replaced. I removed walls, added french doors and sliding doors, completely re-designed the house. In short, only the exterior walls survived and then only because due to FEMA floodway rules if 50% of the house is destroyed it has to come down. And there is no rebuilding in a flood way. Yes I had flood insurance. It isn't a valued policy though. They came in and assessed the damage and awarded us 24k because they said we could just cut out the bottom 1' of drywall. They wouldn't replace the floor, the insulation, any of our possessions, nada. I had to take out a 40k loan to pay for the material I needed to do the work because there is no way in hell anything that sat in that house for 3 days being permeated by the smell of river flood water was going to remain if I was going to stay there. Which since I am a couple years away from the house being paid off, I was kinda stuck. Being a carpenter/contractor most of my adult life I did all the work myself. It took 6 months of coming here after work all week, working until about 11 then driving back up to my friend's house to sleep, getting up and doing it over again. And we just stayed here sleeping wherever on the weekends. I also own the house down the street that my daughter lives in, which thankfully is a block home, so we just threw everything away, power washed it and started over.

So now the house is the way I would have built it instead of the way some dude in 1956 built it. And we are dramatically overinsured, with a valued contents policy.

When we knew the house was getting wet I took all my musical equipment, PA rig, bass and guitar amps and cabs and loaded them into my van, which I then pulled on to my 16' trailer, hooked to my truck and parked on the highest spot I could find. Guitars, guns, computers and photographs and other important stuff was hauled up into the attic through a 3x3 hatch. Unloading the attic after the flood looked like clowns getting out of a clown car and required a 4 person assembly line operation. Everything else we owned was either destroyed by the flood or permanently infused with the smell of a million septic tanks which mingled with the river as it flooded out the valley.

So, I bought a nice, prebuilt Cooks portable 12x20 shed, used for $800 then spent about $1300 raising it up 2' higher than the 2017 flood level. In the unlikely event that we have a repeat performance all of our important things will go to the shed instead of the menagerie we had going on through attic hatches and backs of vans in 2017.
Not a fun experience or story. Can relate to a degree.
Yours is better than some. Happened to some other people know too. One was my dad a few years ago.

Back