testtest

I guess this is the right place to ask

Which table would you pick for a budget?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yours is better than some.
Believe me, from the outset I knew it could have been much worse. At least I was in a position where I could afford to replace everything I own. Unfortunately the flood wasn't the worst of what happened to me inside that 30 day span. I have related that story here a couple times already so I won't rehash it, but I lost my little brother, 3 close friends and a granddaughter along with most of my possessions during a 30 day period starting on April 18th 2017.

Believe me, from the outset I knew it could have been much worse. At least I was in a position where I could afford to replace everything I own. Unfortunately the flood wasn't the worst of what happened to me inside that 30 day span. I have related that story here a couple times already so I won't rehash it, but I lost my little brother, 3 close friends and a granddaughter along with most of my possessions during a 30 day period starting on April 18th 2017.
Understand the feeling. Have lost much around here in last few years too. Trouble and disaster seems to come in clusters sometimes? Only way to alleviate it have heard so far from others is to stay busy. If anything like past's experience and mishaps, time eventually cures or settles most. Bright side, if any, boredom never sets in?

My father built a house on 15 foot pilings in a neighborhood with only five houses. It was in a "100 year flood plain" and the neighborhood had never flooded since white man had made it to that area (Spring Texas). Spring Creek ran just behind the house and the neighbors thought he was nuts. The year after he finished the house (he did all the inside work), the neighborhood flooded. From there out he had a John boat with oars tied to his porch. Now, the porch was up in the air and the boat was lying flat on the ground...no trailer.
He told me that when it flooded, that was how they got to their cars, parked up the hill.
The neighborhood flooded five years in a row. The county tore down the other homes and his front yard was turned into a 15 acre park.

Higher is better than lower when living close to water.

My father built a house on 15 foot pilings in a neighborhood with only five houses. It was in a "100 year flood plain" and the neighborhood had never flooded since white man had made it to that area (Spring Texas). Spring Creek ran just behind the house and the neighbors thought he was nuts. The year after he finished the house (he did all the inside work), the neighborhood flooded. From there out he had a John boat with oars tied to his porch. Now, the porch was up in the air and the boat was lying flat on the ground...no trailer.
He told me that when it flooded, that was how they got to their cars, parked up the hill.
The neighborhood flooded five years in a row. The county tore down the other homes and his front yard was turned into a 15 acre park.

Higher is better than lower when living close to water.

"Higher is better than lower when living close to water."

It sure is. So many people forget or never knew about home high ground placement or ground percolation rates are and can be mislead especially by prebuilt housing built by developers who sometimes build on any old lot just because they can. Using a building for actual "Home" suitability and protection from weather elements can be secondary with many.

Last edited:
This flood planing brings me back to Boy Scout days. My cousin and I went back for week 2, but had too stay with a different troop. When we got there all of their tents were on the ground due too heavy fast rain the night before. My cousin and I trenched around our tent that was on a slope and gave the water a way to drain. We got laughed at almost the whole day. That night it rained heavy again. Where were the tents..............on the ground! Short stakes on the type of ground we camped was a wash :ROFLMAO: ! So much for the " Be prepared" for them!

This flood planing brings me back to Boy Scout days. My cousin and I went back for week 2, but had too stay with a different troop. When we got there all of their tents were on the ground due too heavy fast rain the night before. My cousin and I trenched around our tent that was on a slope and gave the water a way to drain. We got laughed at almost the whole day. That night it rained heavy again. Where were the tents..............on the ground! Short stakes on the type of ground we camped was a wash :ROFLMAO: ! So much for the " Be prepared" for them!
Hoping they learned from experience and the razzing? :)
Is a lot to tenting and layout to know. Trenching, staking types and methods, prepping area for twigs, debris cushioning area with leaves or sand and even direction.

When I was in scouts, our first 50 mile hike ended in a State park. Our site was on a slight grade and my buddy and I trenched around our tent with the rear of the tent facing uphill. We too got razzed because it was the last night and we were going home in the morning. He and I got up early and struck our tent, packed the packs and moved everything under the covered picnic area where we made a really big breakfast (getting rid of all the extra food we had carried for the last five days). This, while everyone else, about forty kids, slept in. We were lounging around with my dad, burping and drinking chocolate when the sky burst forth.
This was a regular East Texas Frog Choker.

Within 10 minutes there was camping gear being washed down the hill along with tents and a lot of guys standing in the rain!

All of the wood was now soaked so there were a lot of cold, wet, hungry folks who were no longer joking about how stupid we were for digging in or getting up at dawn.
They looked so miserable, ya just couldn't bring yourself to poke fun at them.
They knew the truth.

I have used multiple options, the 2x4s with plywood or even sheathing is pretty inexpensive. For years I used an old rolling toolbox that someone was throwing out, I added a 2x4 frame that was about the size of the exterior with a piece of ply for a top and only a couple of the lower drawers still worked but that was perfect for me

Well I finally got one and it's built. It'll do for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20211108_194839292.jpg
    IMG_20211108_194839292.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
Just tell the head-of-the-household you're repurposing the dining room table, and start mounting the heavy gear on it before (insert your proper pronoun) gets home..

Maybe I should look at dates before I respond!

It happens cico, no biggie.
Many people read older threads and respond. Some are picked up years later and the whole thread picks up back to life again. Besides, the info is still there for people to learn and respond to and much is almost timeless or still current info.

Back