testtest

Is a .22LR round plausible for self defense?

MrMichaelActual

Master Class
Okay Okay, since this topic was broached in a Rabbit trail on the .357 thread, I thought I might as well make a thread for it.

Can a .22LR be a good defense round?

For me the answer is a solid no, let me explain why. (Opinion Only)

First, any round can kill an opponent when placed perfectly, so this is not about that.

Most of the argument for the .22 for defense we read about or have any data on is related to, you get almost no recoil so weak shooters can put X rounds on target, or you have 79 rounds with which to hit your target so... and the FBI stats show that certain .22LR rounds can penetrate deep enough to meet their own gun buying standards (10-12 inches), but in my humble opinion those are outliers.
What are other consideration? Well, when shooting in combat, running and gunning under pressure, putting that tiny round exactly on the X may be harder than you think. Note: I have never tried this with a .22 pistol, I am a GWOT Army guy...
When acting under duress in order to stop an attacker, I dont know that I want to depend on micro precision with a tiny round, hoping that I hit an organ or other incapacitating point, when if I were shooting a 9mm or 10mm or another defense round, one bullet near that area would stop an attacker.
Another thing in the back of my mind is the condition of the attacker. If a person is high on whatever drug, you can stitch them up with rounds but unless you hit an organ that stops life or a bone structure that stops movement, that high person would still get to you, this has been seen all over the world in combat. In this case you could potentially mag dump your .22 on someone who was high and barring that perfect shot you could still get killed.

There is a lot more to this but these are my initial thoughts.

Depending on the scenario a suppressed accurate .22lr rifle can be very effective.

The IDF uses them all the time.
Remember the premise of the OP is, can a .22 be a good defense round. I have worked with a bunch of great IDF folks, but Defense rounds for most of us means a daily carry round or a home defense round, thus a cool silenced rifle is not for the most part, that. In my mind a defense round is not one that, when in the heat of defending myself or my family, is not reliant on me getting that one perfect shot. Probably most folks here could do great things at a range with a .22, but when running, falling, adrenaline shakes popping and the red fog on your eyes, that one shot is like a lotto ticket. In that case I want a round where one shot anywhere will stop the attacker.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but the .22 is plenty adequate for self defense as long as you understand its abilities and limitations.
First off, forget center mass. Shoot for the head.
Secondly, this is a close range cartridge. If you're far enough away that you need to take careful aim, you're probably far enough away to escape.
Finally, empty the gun. Shoot everything you've got as fast as you can. Even if you miss (doubtful) , I believe the attacker will be having serious second thoughts.
Always remember that the primary purpose of a defensive firearm is to save your life. It doesn't mater if the BG is incapacitated or not as long as you get away and survive. ;)

Many, probably most of we experienced shooters, would not list .22 LR as a primary choice for self defense. That aside, .22 can be a good defense round, and I respect those that either wish to or need to utilize the round. IMO.
I personally cannot understand why one would throw the dice with a .22. Hand strength, recoil sensitive, I’ve heard it all and I just don’t get it. I don’t think most people are decent enough shots to count on a .22. A lot of us are not even sure if 9mm has enough stopping power. Why take the chance with your life? The logic is flawed.

And in other news are hammer fired pistols really better than striker fired? Is .45acp on the way out? Is @Annihilator really just a poor AI beta test?

I personally cannot understand why one would throw the dice with a .22. Hand strength, recoil sensitive, I’ve heard it all and I just don’t get it. I don’t think most people are decent enough shots to count on a .22. A lot of us are not even sure if 9mm has enough stopping power. Why take the chance with your life? The logic is flawed.

And in other news are hammer fired pistols really better than striker fired? Is .45acp on the way out? Is @Annihilator really just a poor AI beta test?
Haaa agree! No-one is arguing if you could use a .22 in the most perfect scenario, to defend oneself... but why!!! And no, in modern times perhaps Striker fired pistols will take the cake! And I love my 1911's but...
I love my .45's, 'on the way out' is a personal preference.

I
Haaa agree! No-one is arguing if you could use a .22 in the most perfect scenario, to defend oneself... but why!!! And no, in modern times perhaps Striker fired pistols will take the cake! And I love my 1911's but...
I love my .45's, 'on the way out' is a personal preference.
i bought an HK45 and an FN545 this year and every time I break them out I get the warm fuzzies. Now if I could only find .45acp for $12 a box!

IS A .22LR ROUND PLAUSIBLE FOR SELF DEFENSE?
Yes. Okay not my first choice but yes plausible. I can carry a NAA mini mag in an extreme non-permissible environment, where legal, even easier than a j frame, and just me I don't trust small auto's, I know my gut may be wrong, but it is still my gut feeling. For someone on a fixed income ammo is cheap and they can shoot/practice to their hearts content and still pay the bills. The vast majority of us will never use a gun in self-defense. We will not be "when shooting in combat, running and gunning under pressure", Although I agree with " putting that tiny round exactly on the X may be harder than you think." The majority of Those that do have to use a gun will be pumping gas, using the atm, etc., even in our home, self-defense, not combat, though in the moment I'll bet the difference is lost ;) most people will not want to be shot with anything let alone be shot again. Predators want easy prey, not those that will fight back. Again, not my first choice, but way better than a harsh word and a mean look.

Then maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate.

IS A .22LR ROUND PLAUSIBLE FOR SELF DEFENSE?
Yes. Okay not my first choice but yes plausible. I can carry a NAA mini mag in an extreme non-permissible environment, where legal, even easier than a j frame, and just me I don't trust small auto's, I know my gut may be wrong, but it is still my gut feeling. For someone on a fixed income ammo is cheap and they can shoot/practice to their hearts content and still pay the bills. The vast majority of us will never use a gun in self-defense. We will not be "when shooting in combat, running and gunning under pressure", Although I agree with " putting that tiny round exactly on the X may be harder than you think." The majority of Those that do have to use a gun will be pumping gas, using the atm, etc., even in our home, self-defense, not combat, though in the moment I'll bet the difference is lost ;) most people will not want to be shot with anything let alone be shot again. Predators want easy prey, not those that will fight back. Again, not my first choice, but way better than a harsh word and a mean look.

Then maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Yeah, No. I’m just sayin’…

IMG_6256.jpeg

I worked hunting seasons for a few years at my cousins meat packing plant and seen animals killed with practically every caliber. Between that, ballistic testing I have seen and the various graphs and results of shootings statistics I have read all lead me to conclude that it might not be my first choice, but I would not feel too badly if it was what I had at hand or could use for a time.

The difference in numbers of one shot stops percentages, number of hits to stop are so much closer than people realize in handgun cartridges. The damage a. 22 round does as it bounces around in flesh is actually surprising.

Back