testtest

Is a .22LR round plausible for self defense?

Attachments

• th-3118671465.jpg
    th-3118671465.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 70
hmmm semantics, perhaps I used incorrect verbiage. When I think of self defense in my brain I think of whatever things most of us have on hand at the gas station or store etc, not something I have in the closet that I could get and load and defend myself with in a perfect scenario. Yes getting hit with a .22 damn sure gets your attention and hurts like a mf.
IMG_3270.jpeg

I’ve had one of these on me countless times at the gas station or the store; and they are out—not in the closet (S&W 43C .22LR (L) & S&W 351C .22MRF (R)).

You need to seriously rethink your preconceptions, here; you seem to believe the only form a .22 comes in is your grandfather’s squirrel slayer…and that’s simply not the case.

View attachment 44257

I’ve had one of these on me countless times at the gas station or the store; and they are out—not in the closet (S&W 43C .22LR (L) & S&W 351C .22MRF (R)).

You need to seriously rethink your preconceptions, here; you seem to believe the only form a .22 comes in is your grandfather’s squirrel slayer…and that’s simply not the case.
No I do not think that and those look pretty cool. Just me, I have never had a .22 pistol on me anywhere because it is not what I personally would ever choose to carry. I have a .22 in a 1911 frame style that is really fun at the range or outback plinking.

Okay Okay, since this topic was broached in a Rabbit trail on the .357 thread, I thought I might as well make a thread for it.

Can a .22LR be a good defense round?

For me the answer is a solid no, let me explain why. (Opinion Only)

First, any round can kill an opponent when placed perfectly, so this is not about that.

Most of the argument for the .22 for defense we read about or have any data on is related to, you get almost no recoil so weak shooters can put X rounds on target, or you have 79 rounds with which to hit your target so... and the FBI stats show that certain .22LR rounds can penetrate deep enough to meet their own gun buying standards (10-12 inches), but in my humble opinion those are outliers.
What are other consideration? Well, when shooting in combat, running and gunning under pressure, putting that tiny round exactly on the X may be harder than you think. Note: I have never tried this with a .22 pistol, I am a GWOT Army guy...
When acting under duress in order to stop an attacker, I dont know that I want to depend on micro precision with a tiny round, hoping that I hit an organ or other incapacitating point, when if I were shooting a 9mm or 10mm or another defense round, one bullet near that area would stop an attacker.
Another thing in the back of my mind is the condition of the attacker. If a person is high on whatever drug, you can stitch them up with rounds but unless you hit an organ that stops life or a bone structure that stops movement, that high person would still get to you, this has been seen all over the world in combat. In this case you could potentially mag dump your .22 on someone who was high and barring that perfect shot you could still get killed.

There is a lot more to this but these are my initial thoughts.
I would not normally carry anything smaller than 9mm as an EDC unless there is no other options. I have carried a .22 and a .25 on certain occassions where it was a "that or nothing" option and still carry a .22 revolver in a ankle holster on occassion as a backup.
Oh yeah, more people are killed by .22 than any other caliber, so theres also that!

A produce manager at the local grocery store was shot in the arm at work with a .22. It did not penetrate his arm, but traveled through an artery to lodge in his heart. He died. Never dreamed you should be armed while working in a grocery store. No it was not Chicago. That said, despite hoards of folks being killed with one, I wouldn't consider it for self defense.

Back