testtest

Is the 1911 Too Heavy?

I find heavier slides to have the most perceived recoil. The worst recoiling gun I have shot was the Hi Point 40. That slide is so friggin massive and heavy you can literally feel the slide cycle and fight against you.

I think I got luck and found the sweet spot, though.

I regularly carry my full size 1911. In fact, I'll be carrying it today. But I have Kimber custom LW (LW for lightweight)
It only weighs 38 ounces. With a good leather gunbelt and leather holster, I don't even know it's there.
And it shoots much better than anything else I have.

It is my go to church gun. Hides under a suit coat and I have zero concerns taking a further shot in a crowded sanctuary compared to say my Glock 17 or my Hellcat Pro

Too heavy?
Not with the right belt and holster. ;)
wait till you get to be as old as the seas....as old as Poseidon himself...

anything more than 2 pennies in our pockets is too damned heavy..

even my Hellcat, with a mere state mandated 10 round magazine..??

weighs more than the Queen Mary......

suspenders? a cane..?? a walker..?? crutches..??

cannot hold us up........

and you wanna add the 47,000 pounds of a typical 1911..?????

I find heavier slides to have the most perceived recoil. The worst recoiling gun I have shot was the Hi Point 40. That slide is so friggin massive and heavy you can literally feel the slide cycle and fight against you.

I think I got luck and found the sweet spot, though.

I regularly carry my full size 1911. In fact, I'll be carrying it today. But I have Kimber custom LW (LW for lightweight)
It only weighs 38 ounces. With a good leather gunbelt and leather holster, I don't even know it's there.
And it shoots much better than anything else I have.

It is my go to church gun. Hides under a suit coat and I have zero concerns taking a further shot in a crowded sanctuary compared to say my Glock 17 or my Hellcat Pro
Well, if memory serves high points are blowback operated. Which is why the heavy slide and the sharper felt recoil. Blowback by thier nature have sharper recoil.

Carried a 1922 during the early '60's for four years and had to qualify as expert every six months. NO prob!
Fast foreward to early mid 2000's, got old and out of shape as I did not do any shooting to speak of, except for a .22 Single Six (marriage, kid, mortgage, etc.). So when I finally got enough spare dinars to buy a 1911 I did find it too heavy and unwieldy and after looking at other .45's, found out that all that was said about Ruger's P345 was true. Lighter, slimmer, reliable, even my wife liked it. It is a tank that my son will have for a long time to come.

I understand the hoopla around 1911 pistols - they are classics and I plan on getting my own heavy metal one day, but the Springfield Ronin Commander with it's shorter length and lightweight frame? Not a great advert for the species. And, would my wife consider carrying a 1911? Absolutely not. The reason I have been carrying my XD Mod.2 subcompact for years now is because it was too heavy for her. Everyone's Goldilocks gun is different, but I can (and do) appreciate the design, craftsmanship, and functionality of the 1911.

I've got a CZ 97B boat anchor, one of the earlier blue boys. I upgraded some things--grips, sights, Wolff spring and steel guide rod. The recoil is very manageable.
My first center-fire pistol was a Belgian Hi-power, the 1911's li'l brother. With all its faults, the grip spoiled me. S'pose I'll have to buy a 1911 b4 they shovel dirt on me, I hear the trigger is sweet. Springfield Armory really improved the Browning with its SA-35, in many ways.
Yes, size and weight matter.

I don't mind hitching up my britches a few times a day to keep my 1911 from pulling them down.
I hear that. I don’t seem to have a real waistline anymore, at least not one that narrows in; I usually carry my Star PD in a Galco bellyband, close to my left armpit. That works pretty well, but I might just go with the XD-S platform next time.

Is the 1911 too heavy? No, I shoot it just fine, but carrying around all day? No thank you. I've had a ruptured disk and have two bulging disks that hamper my daily carry. Two would work better for balancing my hips and spine, but that weight would do a number on me. A gun show can ruin the next few days. The slight bending over posture with multiple tables for hours does a number on me. I still do it once in a while, but they better have some good sh*t. Leaning over a car hood doing maintenance is a no no. I wish I still had the body of my youth, but I've learned to adapt as best I can. If you still have your health, take care of it. You don't know what you have until you've lost it.
As far as guns go, carry and shoot what you like, this isn't a one size fits all country.

First off my first semiauto pistol was a 1911, followed by a Browning High Power. As a student with 2 kids I had to get rid of one to pay the bills. I shot them both pretty equally. The 1911 went because the High Power just felt better in my hand. This was way before the kerfuffle of improved bullets being equal. However youngolddude with 6 screws and 2 rods in my lower back and half of the rest of my lumbar vertebrae self fused I got ya beat. I carry an XDs. just because anything else and my body doesn't like me, and I really like being able to walk without pain. Second in the Article the scale that that the TRP is being weighed on shows 4964 so if that is right it weighs 49 ounces not 45.

I don't really have a definitive answer on this. I do use top end +P in all my .45acps including the .45 long colt revolver. Recoil isn't an issue for me as I use my .454 in double action mode and am accurate. Felt recoil, like too heavy/too large/too small etc is up to each individual to decide. You must try out models to determine for yourself.

TRP OPERATOR FULL RAIL,
Both original sets of grips are put away for safe keeping. This 45 shoots smoother than any of my 9mm's and is much more accurate than I am. Begs to be shot fast. Heavy for sure, but worth the smiles per round while firing.

Attachments

• 20240321_145431(1).jpg
    20240321_145431(1).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 25
Back