testtest

Is the .45’s Stopping Power a Myth?

Bullet design has a lot more to do with reliable expansion than velocity.

Modern JHP’s are designed for optimal expansion in a certain velocity “window”—usually +/- 10% of their listed velocity, to account for shorter or longer barrels than the test barrel.

And the flutes have been around for over 10 years. If they were truly all that they claim, they’d be in a lot wider use with professionals…the fact they aren’t in use at all says a lot.

Personally, I don’t see them doing any better damage than a solid bullet—particularly a flat nose solid, or SWC design—of the same caliber, weight, and velocity…and for a LOT cheaper.

That’s why I say that they are snake oil.
sorry, no. see this Paul Harrell vid to explain hollow point expansion failures. He under lines both my points - HP clogging and lack of velocity or speed. Quote from the vid "HP are velocity based." He goes on to show with tests the varying reasons why HP failures occur.

Regardless of ballistic gelatin tests, and “meat target” tests, the best data comes from the results of actual street shootings. For a long time now the .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP has been regarded as a gold standard. This is a high velocity, light weight bullet with a hollow point design. I have thought that similar (or better) results might be had from a 10mm 135 grain JHP. Seems logical but, again, there is pretty much no real world street shooting data available to support that theory one way or the other.

So we are always left with speculation regarding street effectiveness of many combinations of caliber/bullet.

What we do have are ballistic gelatin and “meat target” tests and, although they have their drawbacks, they do tell us some things.

My son, in junior high school, had to do a science project and asked me my advice. He and I chose a penetration and expansion test using a .44 Magnum revolver against wet phone books. I loaded 240 grain bullets at four different velocities, shot them into the targets, retrieved the bullets and measured both penetration and expansion. We plotted the results and put the retrieved bullets together with the data on a board. The teacher was shocked (but gave my son an “A”), and told my son never to do that again. Anti-gun, of course.

All of this conversation about ballistics, calibers, and bullet types/weights is fun and I appreciate everybody’s contributions to this thread. Thank you all and Hans, your comments have merit in my eyes.

Quote from the vid "HP are velocity based."
That’s why I use these (when I can find them)…

IMG_0175.jpeg

JeeeezUs, I was out for a day and this thing went 5 more pages...

Well, I love my 1911s but mine are OG (single stack no optics), With no optics and fewer rounds, the current thing I roll with on the rare times I need an OWB service size strap, is my gen 5 G20 with the SCS Green dot... if 16 round of 10mm dont do the thing, I should turn in my card. As to the OP, hellz yes .45 will do the trick, it is all about 1 shot placed properly! Like probably most folks here, my daily CC is a 9, usually a member of the Sig 365 family.

Back