testtest

Jeep Wrangler 2025

I've got a buddy that has two of the Jeeps with the 392 package. One SRT SUV and one of the Rubicons. Both have been stellar vehicles for his family. Then again maybe it is an anomaly šŸ˜‰
Bear in mind that 392 set him back the best part of $100k-i darn well SHOULD be good for that price. Chrysler (and now Stellantis) have made a bloody fortune selling Rubicons to people who will never, ever need locking diffā€™s and a crawler gear set. Rather than making the Rubicon package (locking diffā€™s , heavier axles and lower gears) an option across the line for folks who want/need those features theyā€™ve made it a trim line, loaded with the Rubicon stuff PLUS pretty much every option they can throw on it and jacked the price through the roof. The poor guy who actually wants a Jeep for true Jeep stuff cannot buy a base Sport and add the Rubicon stuff, and the mall princess canā€™t buy the top of the line high buck Jeep without it, even though her will never leave a paved roadšŸ™„

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD and the only time it was in the shop was for factory recalls.
I would look at another when this on it's last leg.
My Daughter has a 2020 Jeep 4 door with a 4 cylinder turbo with 80,000 miles and have not had one issue yet.
Lucky maybe??

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD and the only time it was in the shop was for factory recalls.
I would look at another when this on it's last leg.
My Daughter has a 2020 Jeep 4 door with a 4 cylinder turbo with 80,000 miles and have not had one issue yet.
Lucky maybe??
I drove my TJ 128k without issues. My 20, not so much, with several minor issues in 28k. Neighbors bought a 21 JLU Rubicon that they shipped in 6 months because of issues. You ā€œcanā€ get a reliable Jeep, BUT they will never be as good a road vehicle as almost any other new vehicle out there. The Jeeps (and Iā€™m referring to the Wranglers) have excellent off road chops, but it sacrifices on road manners to get them.

You are either a Jeep person or not. Most of the 4 door SUV wanna be driving duck duck go folks aren't. They are mostly hipsters with no clue how to work on one, what they are capable of, and have limited their offroad experience to parking at the edge of the road on a beer crawl they call a jeep ride. I've had many over the years, last one was a JL Rubicon that I sold for a profit during the Covid used car price bloat. Currently have a LJ that is getting rebuilt to apocalyptic scale.

I drove nothing but Jeeps for 23 years. Five of them, one CJ-7, three Cherokees, and the worst purchase of my life, a Grand Cherokee, which had to be towed three times in <25,000 miles. I'll never own another product from Jeep.

P.S. My second car, essentially my toy, is an SRT8 Challenger with the 392. For the uses a Wangler is likely to be put to, the 392 is a stupid choice. It has no application in a Jeep-like offroad vehicle unless burnouts on knobby tires is an objective. It's like a guy I knew in high school who put a 396 in a CJ-5 for possibly the worst handling vehicle ever conceived.

About 30 years ago my then BIL bought a Grand Cherokee. It said ā€œSportā€ on the side of it, came with big tires. We took it into a mud hole and he did a few doughnuts. On the way home the tranny wouldnā€™t shift. He takes it to the dealer and thereā€™s mud all up in the driveshaft and everything else. Dealer told him he voided the warranty taking it off road. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

About 30 years ago my then BIL bought a Grand Cherokee. It said ā€œSportā€ on the side of it, came with big tires. We took it into a mud hole and he did a few doughnuts. On the way home the tranny wouldnā€™t shift. He takes it to the dealer and thereā€™s mud all up in the driveshaft and everything else. Dealer told him he voided the warranty taking it off road. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
One of my three failures was the transmission, on commuter driving in San Diego. It was the last failure and when the trans light came on later, I called home and told the wife I'd be late and not sure what I'd be driving, but it wouldn't be the Jeep so don't be alarmed.

food for thought
if YOU want a JEEP, find the one that fits your fancy and spend your money accordingly

that being said; a few years ago we looked for a jeep to tow behind the motorhome and start leaving the hauler trailer at home, you know for ease of hookup, save some weight etc
we had never really looked at a jeep wrangler, but our neighbors had a patriot jeep and we drove it often when they were away to keep it lubricated .. i am 6 foot 3 and i found both the wrangler and the patriot to be short on foot space and overall comfort for my svelte frame

but we did look at many 2 d and 4 d wranglers, small pickups, four down towable vehicles to find that sweet spot in comfort, ease of use etc
we made our way back to a ford edge prior to 2017 model change,

i say all this to say this
define your needs and wants, then go test drive the finalists and get what you find makes you happy
all manufacturers have built turds and great vehicles..

besides...you have friends here and we would never mock you....unless it comes with a high point or a buick key ring

Last edited:
food for thought
if YOU want a JEEP, find the one that fits your fancy and spend your money accordingly

that being said; a few years ago we looked for a jeep to tow behind the motorhome and start leaving the hauler trailer at home, you know for ease of hookup, save some weight etc
we had never really looked at a jeep wrangler, but our neighbors had a patriot jeep and we drove it often when they were away to keep it lubricated .. i am 6 foot 3 and i found both the wrangler and the patriot to be short on foot space and overall comfort for my svelte frame

but we did look at many 2 d and 4 d wranglers, small pickups, four down towable vehicles to find that sweet spot in comfort, ease of use etc
we made our way back to a ford edge prior to 2017 model change,

i say all this to say this
define your needs and wants, then go test drive the finalists and get what you find makes you happy
all manufacturers have built turds and great vehicles..

besides...you have friends here and we would never mock you....unless it comes with a high point or a buick key ring
This is true. However even ā€œgoodā€ Jeep Wranglers are, by nature and design, very crude compared to pretty much everything else on the road.

We have to get to the range, shooting show, store, hunting trip and more with a vehicle.

Had a wrangler back in the day for a while. Found them to be noisy, service heavy, some rust issues and disgraceful on fuel usage.

here is the latest lineup - note prices are still astronomical for the top end models details listed from car and driver

and the V-8 is only up on that model

View attachment 67116
I think you should get one of these instead

IMG_7726.jpeg

not only mechanical issues, but has 1 if not the worst crash ratings. my brother's death was in a '77 or '78 cj7 at low speed (less than 40mph and probably not 30).............yet 1 family member has bought 1 and she ain't to bright.........most likely gets it from her mother which gets it from her mother which gets it from her mother........see the pattern!

Bear in mind that 392 set him back the best part of $100k-it darn well SHOULD be good for that price.
šŸ™„
Bear in mind, as you say.
He also has two older POS Mopars, a 70 Road Runner with a 440 6 pack AND a AAR Cuda with a 340 6 pack.
Both completely frame off restorations front to back bumper to bumper.
He's a retired executive from Caterpillar, I think he's okay with the cost. He had a excellent 401k.....
šŸ˜‰

Bear in mind, as you say.
He also has two older POS Mopars, a 70 Road Runner with a 440 6 pack AND a AAR Cuda with a 340 6 pack.
Both completely frame off restorations front to back bumper to bumper.
He's a retired executive from Caterpillar, I think he's okay with the cost. He had a excellent 401k.....
šŸ˜‰
Of all the hot cars I saw while growing up a '70 Cuda with 340 6 pack and auto tranny was the fastest off the line I ever saw. The guy put headers on it , installed air shocks on the rear to get the rear end to clear the L-60 x 15 tires and away he went. It was impressive enough that my dad wanted to know who owned it and what he had in it. My dad hated fast cars but it made him take notice. I don't know how it ran through the quarter but it could get off the line.

Of all the hot cars I saw while growing up a '70 Cuda with 340 6 pack and auto tranny was the fastest off the line I ever saw.
I had a friend who had an AAR 'Cuda 340 6-pack (AARs Cudas were SMALL-block homologation road racing cars for SCCA TransAm racing-think Boss 302/Z-28s but NOT Pontiacs ).

He had long WHEELIE bars and he drove it on the street. They stuck out at least 3 feet past the bumper.

I don't want to say he was a dweeb, but it took awhile to convince him that nobody thought his car was going to pull the front wheels off the ground.

$100k for a Jeep? Seriously??
I'll stick with GMC. A Sierra 2500HD Denali Duramax works very well for me and has a ton of room. The ride at 80 mph is smooth. Torque is almost off the chart too.
And thatā€™s the point-almost anything will ride better or handle better than a Wrangler, including a LOT of less expensive vehicles. Plus, for $100 k a vehicle imho should be Veryhigh quality-Jeep? Nope.

Back