testtest

Just a typical day/race for NASCAR

Who cares? It's NASCRAP!

Want to see real drivers? Watch World Rally Car
Real drivers drive alone. They don't need co-drivers

(J/K- both the driver AND co-driver have big balls)

The problem most people have with WRC is that Rally drivers aren't racing other drivers. They're racing the clock. Most people have no appreciation for the magnitudes of skills involved because it happens so fast.

Real drivers drive alone. They don't need co-drivers

(J/K- both the driver AND co-driver have big balls)

The problem most people have with WRC is that Rally drivers aren't racing other drivers. They're racing the clock. Most people have no appreciation for the magnitudes of skills involved because it happens so fast.
To me, the biggest problem with WRC is that it isn't camera/TV friendly. Hard to make a TV friendly track that shows the true skill these guys have. The only bigger balls in racing is the Isle of Mann TT riders.

I don't like to see anyone crash on any race track. There are to many dollars invested . I don't like restrictor plates either but the horse power those cars make these days , they had to do something. Bill Elliot set the NASCAR record at 212.8xx MPH back in 1985.

They would be hitting 250 MPH or more by now without the plates. As seen in this race , when they are stacked up like that at speed , all it takes is a small nudge when someone gets loose and there they go. :(
True, but engin displacement could be made smaller. I quit watching several years ago when I started seeing 2 door Taurus and V8;powered Camrys🙄. I liked it when it was “stock car” racing (yea, I know about the different chassis, etc.) . I liked to see the Plymouth vs Dodge vs Ford vs Mercury plus the occasional Tin Indian or Chevy. They all looked like (and had engines that were the same displacement as what YOU could buy. Remember they had to build 500 of a model to race it. Hence the wild street jobs with wings (Superbird, Charger Daytona, Talledaga, etc). Now they all look the same-unless you see the grill you can’t tell a Ford from a Yota. Not my thing anymore. Plus NASCAR went woke, banned rebel flags, etc. I REALLY wish they’d bring back STOCK car racing like it was in the late 50’s

I get what you"re saying. And I definitely understand the point you're making. But we can't over-generalize. Anti-gun nuts use over-generalization to their "advantage", don't they ?

My point is that the same thing isn't happening over and over again if something changed.

How many two-hour races have you been in ? The track changes. The car changes. Debris gets in the way. Etc. For not just me, but for everybody. Then THEY get in the way

I could go on and on

I imagine it's more significant when racing on "the same" left turn over and over. I've never had the privilege (i'm a road racer), but I've seen races where a one-groove track changes to a multi-groove track over the span of one race.

I could be in the fastest car, but if I don't adapt, someone slower than me might. Say one turn where a car dropped a wheel off and spread sand on the track. A car blew a house and leaked fluid. It's a long list.

When you're running at the limit it doesn't take much.

The trick is adopting to the changes. Kinda like life in general. You don't want to start me on THOSE parallels. I'd go on forever.

I've never been a big nascar fan, but the "same left-turns over and over" are not the same over the span of a race. Look at a dirt-track race to expedite the timeline.
Couldn't be said much better. These things all happen on every lap, generally a little different than the previous one.

And it turns out the race mentioned by the OP isn't the race with the most car casualties in one wreck. That record goes back to 1960 in the first 'Modified Sportsman' division of Nascar (It's called the 'Cup' division today). Daytona was a new track and the biggest ever seen at the time.
They started 68 cars and in the second half of the first lap the big one happened. IIRC there were 34 cars wrecked out of the race. During the event it rained but NASCAR did not stop the rain for a delay but threw the caution and the race continued at 60 mph with no driver allowed to advance his position while the yellow flag was out. Once the rain was over and the track began to dry, the yellow was pulled, full speed racing (approx 150 mph) was resumed until the full 250 miles was completed.
Today NASCAR is reluctant to run in the rain, although they are experimenting with it lately, but still most often the race will be red flagged during a rain. Something else not allowed today that happened that day is that during the caution laps in the rain, pit crews continued to work on some of those 34 cars and a few resumed the race once the caution was ended.
Obviously they had no chance of a win, but some did have a chance of making enough money to help build another car for next year. I hope this link will take you to the actual video if you'd care to watch it. The majority of cars were from the mid-50's with adapted and modified engines. But they still had OEM windshields, side windows, doors that opened and closed, and tape over the headlights. Very primitive roll cages compared to today's and no such thing as a 'fire suit'. Mostly white T-shirts and jeans ... some penny loafers w/white socks, some sneakers, and a few lace up oxfords. Yep, those guys were the real "bad asses"!!! For your viewing pleasure!!!

Last edited:
True, but engin displacement could be made smaller. I quit watching several years ago when I started seeing 2 door Taurus and V8;powered Camrys🙄. I liked it when it was “stock car” racing (yea, I know about the different chassis, etc.) . I liked to see the Plymouth vs Dodge vs Ford vs Mercury plus the occasional Tin Indian or Chevy. They all looked like (and had engines that were the same displacement as what YOU could buy. Remember they had to build 500 of a model to race it. Hence the wild street jobs with wings (Superbird, Charger Daytona, Talledaga, etc). Now they all look the same-unless you see the grill you can’t tell a Ford from a Yota. Not my thing anymore. Plus NASCAR went woke, banned rebel flags, etc. I REALLY wish they’d bring back STOCK car racing like it was in the late 50’s

I couldn't agree any more, as most hard core old schooler's would agree. Unfortunately back in 1947 no one could have ever conceived how 'stock' cars would change and develop over the years. Or if they could have they probably wouldn't have named the new organization National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Rear wheel drive going away to front wheel drive, carbs going away to fuel injection, computer control, manufacturer's closing down factories of some well known models, foreign cars coming into the country and taking over such a big part of the market, etc. But like any other major commercial venture, NASCAR had to adapt the best they could or fold up the tent. And this is one of the very few family owned entities that has not only survived over the years, but grown to the extent they have over the years. Far too much money invested, too many people/families involved and dependent upon it, sponsorships, short and long term contracts with TV, Radio, various tracks, teams, NASCAR employees, and the list goes on. You bet Id rather see some real old "stock car" racing. Just think of the number of people who would be out of a job the instant NASCAR closed. Probably hundreds of thousands+++ all told. And there are still many, many tens of thousands of fans even with the newer cars, rules, etc. Try going out to your local short track some Friday or Saturday night for some good, home grown real stock car racing. No, they don't run 200 mph, but they work every bit as hard at what they do and love, and it cost most of them just as much money relative to what they build and drive as any NASCAR team. Peace!

BTW, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable but don't think I've ever heard the term Tin Indian. I'm assuming your talking about Pontiac, but I've never heard that term.

I couldn't agree any more, as most hard core old schooler's would agree. Unfortunately back in 1947 no one could have ever conceived how 'stock' cars would change and develop over the years. Or if they could have they probably wouldn't have named the new organization National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Rear wheel drive going away to front wheel drive, carbs going away to fuel injection, computer control, manufacturer's closing down factories of some well known models, foreign cars coming into the country and taking over such a big part of the market, etc. But like any other major commercial venture, NASCAR had to adapt the best they could or fold up the tent. And this is one of the very few family owned entities that has not only survived over the years, but grown to the extent they have over the years. Far too much money invested, too many people/families involved and dependent upon it, sponsorships, short and long term contracts with TV, Radio, various tracks, teams, NASCAR employees, and the list goes on. You bet Id rather see some real old "stock car" racing. Just think of the number of people who would be out of a job the instant NASCAR closed. Probably hundreds of thousands+++ all told. And there are still many, many tens of thousands of fans even with the newer cars, rules, etc. Try going out to your local short track some Friday or Saturday night for some good, home grown real stock car racing. No, they don't run 200 mph, but they work every bit as hard at what they do and love, and it cost most of them just as much money relative to what they build and drive as any NASCAR team. Peace!

BTW, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable but don't think I've ever heard the term Tin Indian. I'm assuming your talking about Pontiac, but I've never heard that term.
Yup, Pontiac😊. I love racing, I just would like to see “stock car” racing having at least Some connection to real cars. With the way auto tech has advanced you could have some pretty serious racing if engines were limited to 2 liters😳. Let the mfgr’s all compete-Ford, GM, Stellantis, VW, Honda, Toyota, etc. it’s pretty easy today to get the little turbo 2.0’s cranking out power in the 400++hp range. Heck my little VW GLI with a Stage 1 ARP tune is just shy of 300 on Regular gas😊

NASCAR has completely ruined stock car racing, which now it isn’t even that, no such thing, all cars are basically same thing, no such thing as a Ford, Chevy, I don’t consider Toyota as a stock car/NASCAR, to many rules now, speed limits in pits, stage racing sucks period. Then it went woke couple years back to the idiot Bubba Wallace with his fake noise crap. I can see the safty improvements, but all the other crap just ruined it, I remember the old days, back in the 70’s and 80’s, that was stock car racing

NASCAR has completely ruined stock car racing, which now it isn’t even that, no such thing, all cars are basically same thing, no such thing as a Ford, Chevy, I don’t consider Toyota as a stock car/NASCAR, to many rules now, speed limits in pits, stage racing sucks period. Then it went woke couple years back to the idiot Bubba Wallace with his fake noise crap. I can see the safty improvements, but all the other crap just ruined it, I remember the old days, back in the 70’s and 80’s, that was stock car racing
Noise or noose? Please turn in your official spell checker badge at the door! lol

Noise or noose? Please turn in your official spell checker badge at the door! lol
200w.gif

I once asked a driver I crewed for, "How fast do you have to go to win?" His answer, "As slow as I can, but still fast enough to win the race." :ROFLMAO: He won many and is now a successful crew chief, currently in the top 10 in points, with the new High Limit 410 Sprint Car Series started by Kyle Larson and Brad Sweet. They tour nationally and attract the best sprint cars and drivers. If you see a High Limit race coming to a track near you and like lots of passing, close quarters 150 mph racing with few mishaps, check it out. You won't be disappointed!

Back