testtest

Lucas oil

Old_Me

SAINT
ok, not a debate, or discussion all over again for the zillionth time, but "just an observation" with my experience with Lucas Extreme Duty oil.....and NOT a thread on which is the best oil/grease"

...PLEASE let's NOT go there.

1st) i like this oil, been using now for almost a full year now.

2nd) what i have found is that on "some guns" this oil seems to dissipate (??) in as little as 6 months.

3) cases in point, i have all my 1911's lubed with Lucas, and the time from last cleaning/lubing till the next range visit can be 5 to 8 months away....i have all my 9mm guns (metal made) as well.......lubed with Lucas. Revolvers too.

when i field strip after a range visit, i can honestly say, i do see oil in the rails, and on the barrel hood. (on ALL my metal guns)

today i took my G-44 to the club, and when i got it home, and field stripped it, the slide's rails were "drier" than say a 1911 would be

inside the slide, where the barrel will travel, was "drier" than a 1911 would be.

so, here is a question or 2, or 3...

both materials are porous, and probably have of course a different absorption rate of the oil, so does it make sense that the polymer guns soak up or absorb the oils faster than the all metal guns"?

all guns are stored in a locked cabinet, with large desiccant bags, and a dehumidifier running..no guns show signs of rust......

yes, the rails on polymer guns are metal as are the 1911's, but the oil can and does "migrate" from the rails.

Again, just an observation, not another "what's best" thread.

Glock generally uses a copper paste on their rails from the factory. That said glocks are kinda like your push mower, people generally don't take care of them and they just keep mowing. Glocks are kinda the same they just keep shooting if lubed or not. I've seen many glocks run and run dry as a desert.

ok, not a debate, or discussion all over again for the zillionth time, but "just an observation" with my experience with Lucas Extreme Duty oil.....and NOT a thread on which is the best oil/grease"

2nd) what i have found is that on "some guns" this oil seems to dissipate (??) in as little as 6 months.

3) cases in point, i have all my 1911's lubed with Lucas, and the time from last cleaning/lubing till the next range visit can be 5 to 8 months away....i have all my 9mm guns (metal made) as well.......lubed with Lucas. Revolvers too.

when i field strip after a range visit, i can honestly say, i do see oil in the rails, and on the barrel hood. (on ALL my metal guns)

today i took my G-44 to the club, and when i got it home, and field stripped it, the slide's rails were "drier" than say a 1911 would be

inside the slide, where the barrel will travel, was "drier" than a 1911 would be.

both materials are porous, and probably have of course a different absorption rate of the oil, so does it make sense that the polymer guns soak up or absorb the oils faster than the all metal guns"?

all guns are stored in a locked cabinet, with large desiccant bags, and a dehumidifier running..no guns show signs of rust......

yes, the rails on polymer guns are metal as are the 1911's, but the oil can and does "migrate" from the rails.

Shows a 1911 is superior to a Glock 😆

Yeah, I went there.. you only stated not to debate oils !! 😜😜😜😜

1723218341481.gif

Glock generally uses a copper paste on their rails from the factory. That said glocks are kinda like your push mower, people generally don't take care of them and they just keep mowing. Glocks are kinda the same they just keep shooting if lubed or not. I've seen many glocks run and run dry as a desert.
it does not explain how the Glock was dry from using the lucas, and the other guns still show oil.

I have been using this oil for a couple years, I also have a couple of 1911’s that get occasionally taken and shot, but there is always some oil still there, what your more then likely are seeing on the polymer rails is that oil seeping down between the polymer and the rails, there is a very small gap where these two mate up, that’s my take.

I have been using this oil for a couple years, I also have a couple of 1911’s that get occasionally taken and shot, but there is always some oil still there, what your more then likely are seeing on the polymer rails is that oil seeping down between the polymer and the rails, there is a very small gap where these two mate up, that’s my take.
that sounds plausible/possible, as the G-44 slide is polymer with the rail/striker assembly inserted. however, where was the oil inside the slide, where the hood rides? should have been traces of oil there....but again..plastic area....and only a drop or 2, and lightly rubbed with a q-tip, to spread it around.

Last edited:
I think it wholly has to do with the material used in making of the frames. No different than oil in an engine. Different materials eat up lube different. Why there are soooo many lubricants out there for applications
i have to agree...way too many microscopic pics of an engines cylinder wall, showing "jagged edges", yet oil filling in those edges to allow smooth operation of the pistons.

too many engine coatings claim to "protecting" engine components, from wear for thousands of miles, with continued use.

gotta be the polymer slide soaks up the oil (over time) quicker than a steel slide.

i dunno.

i find it interesting on the missing lube.

i have to agree...way too many microscopic pics of an engines cylinder wall, showing "jagged edges", yet oil filling in those edges to allow smooth operation of the pistons.

too many engine coatings claim to "protecting" engine components, from wear for thousands of miles, with continued use.

gotta be the polymer slide soaks up the oil (over time) quicker than a steel slide.

i dunno.

i find it interesting on the missing lube.
1723225541871.jpeg

I don't think gun oil evaporates. I also use Lucas oil and I have noticed a few dry rails and parts, but I attribute that to storing my guns with the barrels pointed down and the oil naturally drains out. I just relube my guns before the range and have no issues.
thanks, but i store all my guns with them standing (up right) as if to be fired...and i also have them all in a cloth type of gun case, and it's dry...i even go as far as wrapping the muzzle end with that blue shop paper towel, to absorb any oils, but that too is dry.

i rather like the Lucas, and will stick with it.

i have in the past used the typical oils,

Hoppes, Weapon Shield, Mobil 1, FP-10. and before i knew any better, Rem Oil, which honestly, that has many uses around the loading bench and presses, and yes, even to wipe down the guns. i even use "food grade" mineral oil to wipe down the guns as well.

it's always a matter of opinion(s), sales mumbo-jumbo, and "geez i gotta try that NOW"......

Often when I do a full oil, lube and filter I leave the unassembled pieces to air out for 24 hours before putting them away, then I wipe away excess..
;)
that works if you have clean air and surroundings in your workshop, basement, garage.

i have a very old house, and in my basement, dust particles, even asbestos particles can be in the air.

when i oil, i wipe off any excess and reassemble, and store the gun.

Back