testtest

Negligent shooting in gun shop

Heartbreaking. And oh, so avoidable.

I visited the firearm counter at Rural King last week, and asked to see a new PDP compact that was on sale. Every firearm has a trigger lock, and they will not remove said lock for a customer to check the action and/or trigger. I originally thought it was a joke. The attendant wasn't joking. Myself and another chap, who became beyond boisterous, departed, never to return.

why was there ammo in the gun..??
Many years ago I went to Northern IN. because my Grandpa was trying to get me a job as a crane oiler. We went into a farm type store that had a gun section . Grandpa wanted to look at a shotgun they had . It was used. As he looked it over he put it to his shoulder and was swinging it around , pointed at the ceiling.

Then he decided to pump the action and a shell popped out. Yes it was loaded. Seems they had let a well known customer take it home to try out and when he brought it back he had left a shell in the chamber.

The customer failed the safety rules of gun handling
The clerk behind the counter failed the safety rules at least twice
My Grandpa also failed the safety rules.

I have often wondered how many others failed before my Grandpa picked out that shotgun to look at. I don't care if I have watched someone clear a firearm , if I take it from them or pick it up after them , I clear that same firearm.

Man this just makes me sick

We had a similar incident at my local FFL dealer when the business owner accidentally fired a pistol. He was on the way to fire a few rounds from a pistol in their bullet trap. On the way to the trap he tripped fired a round into a brick wall. Thankfully no one was hurt but I think he needed to check his drawers.

I can't count how many times I have found a shotgun or AR in the Arms room that is supposed to be "curser ready" with a round in the chamber. Handguns that is supposed to be stored with a round in the chamber and mag out of the gun, only to find them loaded to the hilt or nothing in them. Seams it was easier with revolvers, OfCourse back then we spent more training at the range than sensitivity training in the classroom, maybe that's got something to do with it.

I do dry fire it to feel the trigger but I always check it's unloaded for myself and aim it at the ground when testing the trigger.
of course too, i witness the sales person check for empty, hand it to me and i check for empty.

i never dry fire a gun, mine or a store's or another persons.

i do too, point it at the floor as i look thru the sights, turn it from side to side (while still holding it as if to shoot down to the floor), then i keep it pointed down as i return it to the sales person. i never let it point to the ceiling or to the walls.

There is that. When I am handed an allegedly empty gun in a store, I never point it at anyone. I don't dry fire either, just saying.
…and if, for some reason, the slide isn’t locked back, I point it at the floor and clear it, locking slide to rear, with a look at the “clerk” that leaves no doubt about my feeling being handed an uncleared and locked pistol.

I want to know what manipulating the firearm means. We ALWAYS cleared the gun before handing it to customer. Always watched customer while they handled the gun and then cleared gun before going back into display case. We never used wire ties or locks and never has that store had an accidental discharge. In Air Force it did happen once with a M16 in a clearing barrel.Needless to say it never happened again! Never saw one in the Army and we were crazy!

I've never been handed a gun in a gunshop that didn't have the slide locked to the rear.

Once I took a gun to a gun shop to have the sights replaced. I had a chamber flag in it. The chamber flag was long enough that it extended past the end of the barrel.

I opened the case, pointed out that there was no magazine in the gun. Then I pointed out both ends of the chamber flag and said "You see there's a chamber flag in the gun."

The counter guy looked at me like I was nuts it's like he thought I was trying to hand him a loaded gun.

Every time I’ve handled a handgun at a gun shop, the sales person has cleared in front of me and locked the slide back before handing it to me. Then I do a visual and clear it. I don’t dry fire a gun that isn’t mine, but I do check the action and the sights. I have seen counter guys mistreat handguns, ie…slamming the slide forward. Makes me cringe. Sorry, I digress. 😎
It really brings home the fact that you cannot become complacent when it comes to firearms. It happens way too often.

Back