testtest

old Swingline 800 tacker

Old_Me

SAINT
ok, so here's what i have, an old Swingline #800 Heavy Duty Tacker (stapler)

exactly like this one

s-l1600.jpg

i'll be in need of different sized staples for it.

this stapler is for general around the home use.

anyone have such an old Swingline tacker, and if so, were you able to buy replacement staples for it?

and where?

(i tried the local Lowes/Home Depot, they did not have them)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
ok, so here's what i have, an old Swingline #800 Heavy Duty Tacker (stapler)

exactly like this one

s-l1600.jpg

i'll be in need of different sized staples for it.

this stapler is for general around the home use.

anyone have such an old Swingline tacker, and if so, were you able to buy replacement staples for it?

and where?

(i tried the local Lowes/Home Depot, they did not have them)

thanks in advance
It looks like the Arrow 600 series staples are a direct fit.

I have an old T-50 last time I needed staples found them at big box store, they had a good supply, not sure how a #600 differs from T-50. Yesterday I stopped by a small local hardware store and they had so much odds & ends, some really dated and Made in the USA stuff, so shopping locally may be a quick, need it now resource.

I haven’t done much of any stapling with the manual unit for a years, mostly used for insulation and roof feLt. Decided to reupholstered chair seats and picked up a pneumatic stapler from Porter-Cable also a pin nailer from Metabo. Probably costs $100 for both plus few different sizes of staples as needed.

These old time manual staplers are ok if you can get a good angle, in a tight spot, enough down pressure and grip. I won’t be tossing out my T-50, maybe just on reply on it for small quick jobs. The latest generation of manual staplers supposedly are a breeze to squeeze.
The new lith battery operated units are sweet if you can find one on the cheap at a yard sale or factory refurbish. Luckily for me Milwaukee has a reburb store nearby but items are scarce and gobbled up fast.

I have an old T-50 last time I needed staples found them at big box store, they had a good supply, not sure how a #600 differs from T-50. Yesterday I stopped by a small local hardware store and they had so much odds & ends, some really dated and Made in the USA stuff, so shopping locally may be a quick, need it now resource.

I haven’t done much of any stapling with the manual unit for a years, mostly used for insulation and roof feLt. Decided to reupholstered chair seats and picked up a pneumatic stapler from Porter-Cable also a pin nailer from Metabo. Probably costs $100 for both plus few different sizes of staples as needed.

These old time manual staplers are ok if you can get a good angle, in a tight spot, enough down pressure and grip. I won’t be tossing out my T-50, maybe just on reply on it for small quick jobs. The latest generation of manual staplers supposedly are a breeze to squeeze.
The new lith battery operated units are sweet if you can find one on the cheap at a yard sale or factory refurbish. Luckily for me Milwaukee has a reburb store nearby but items are scarce and gobbled up fast.
yeah like many other hand tools for odds and ends jobs, this was bought decades ago. back then, it was like, "do really, really need this"?

yup, i told myself. i bought several boxes of staples (assorted sizes) back then too.

little by little, they run out. sometimes too, the stapler jams or spits out a staple, dwindling the supply as well.

i had a "quick" screen repair earlier today in fact, i had to staple the metal screen to the wooden frame...

uh oh, i sure can use another box soon of 1/4" staples.....

it "seems like" T-50 will fit, according to the older boxes that i have.

however one trip last year for staples on yet a different stapler (one for cabling/wiring) , resulted in none for this one.

i'm like the original "Tim the Toolman Taylor", as i cannot pass by a tool island or tool area without at least browsing the enormous amounts of tools i might need and should buy at that precise moment i am there.

of course, the Mrs is NEVER with me, and always suspects i bought some tool or gadget, every time she sends me out for errands or groceries.

either tools or guns/ammo.....she suspects everything

Hate to see a sturdy, old Made in USA tool fall to the way side.

I just noticed on your picture on (that) box is the 9/16”depth (Leg) and the staple is labeled for Ceiling Tile (the old fiber celotex). So you saying the picture is exactly the one you have, not the actual one that you were using a 1/4” depth (Leg) staples, I misunderstood that.

To be sure if a T-50 is compatible, measure the crown or top the staple used that your Swingline. Seems 3/8” the standard is the crown for the handheld manual brands. Misnomers come with gauge of the metal staple - heavy duty vs. light duty, and purpose.

My photo Arrow T-50 shows the 3/8” crown, but it is also a 3/8” Leg.
You can also measure the spring loaded push rod end.

For the entire max depth the Swingline (or any) staple can fit, slide the ruler down into the rails, it will be 1/8” longer than the max leg length. The Arrow T50 I have will accept a 9/16” Leg down to 1/4”.

image.jpg

I still carry my stapler in my range bag...Fletcher Arms endorses stapling your targets to their replaceable corrugated target backs...spring clips don't work like at most ranges...(you could get it to work on one side, but the other still would need to be taped or stapled). Still using staples I bought circa 1995....

Have one identical to it since about 1980's iirc. Have used it for years attaching paper targets to the backers at my range. Last staples I bought were from Ace Hardware I believe but they are exactly what your box shown above are.

Arrow, wide crown, 9/16"/14mm, and #609. Our local Ace is usually the place I go when it's not available anywhere else. jj

Hate to see a sturdy, old Made in USA tool fall to the way side.

I just noticed on your picture on (that) box is the 9/16”depth (Leg) and the staple is labeled for Ceiling Tile (the old fiber celotex). So you saying the picture is exactly the one you have, not the actual one that you were using a 1/4” depth (Leg) staples, I misunderstood that.

To be sure if a T-50 is compatible, measure the crown or top the staple used that your Swingline. Seems 3/8” the standard is the crown for the handheld manual brands. Misnomers come with gauge of the metal staple - heavy duty vs. light duty, and purpose.

My photo Arrow T-50 shows the 3/8” crown, but it is also a 3/8” Leg.
You can also measure the spring loaded push rod end.

For the entire max depth the Swingline (or any) staple can fit, slide the ruler down into the rails, it will be 1/8” longer than the max leg length. The Arrow T50 I have will accept a 9/16” Leg down to 1/4”.

View attachment 41354
the stapler is exactly like mine, the overall picture i got online.

Have one identical to it since about 1980's iirc. Have used it for years attaching paper targets to the backers at my range. Last staples I bought were from Ace Hardware I believe but they are exactly what your box shown above are.

Arrow, wide crown, 9/16"/14mm, and #609. Our local Ace is usually the place I go when it's not available anywhere else. jj
thanks, i will try the local old fashion hardware store and Lowes again.

if the stapler were a cheap foreign made, i'd toss it away, but it works, it's dependable, and always there in the tool box when i need it.

My apologies. The tacker is the same/similar to the one posted in the string. Attached are pics of mine. It's clean and in great shape. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_142218649.jpg
    IMG_20240201_142218649.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20240201_142224905.jpg
    IMG_20240201_142224905.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20240201_142252647_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240201_142252647_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20240201_142302044.jpg
    IMG_20240201_142302044.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 99
Try putting your thumb into the hole where your fingers usually go and wrap your fingers around the bottom of the stapler. Then squeeze the bottom upwards toward your thumb and while holding it there, pull back on the lever mentioned above. That will usually let it open. This will work in most cases. Let us know the result. jj

Back