testtest

Open carry

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Soo… here we go.
I’ll set the stage.

At a very large truck stop in rural America. Road trip home with wife. Get gas. We are going to go inside for the Loo and snacks.

As we walk to the door, man in front of me is open carry. Looks like a Ruger. No retention holster. Loose fit, holster slides around just a tad . Whole set up in plain view. Gent has tucked in shirt. Cheap rig.

Wife looks as me and gives the “he has a gun” whisper. Yep, I say.

She knows I’m carrying conceal.

He goes same area as us. Opens cooler doors for a Coke , leans over to grab a snack, usual gas station stuff.
Well, we get into the check out line and he is in front of me.
Wife says to me quietly, but not quietly enough, “would you carry open?”

Nope, I say. And state so he can hear me.. semi quietly, “honey, Someone could have grabbed that loose gun from the junk holster about 7 times when they were occupied with the coke door, the snickers selection and everything else and used it against him and the patrons”

The old man in line #2 next to me nodded and smiled, and the open carry dude turned around with a dumbfounded look.
Old man on #2 said to him ..” he’s absolutely right, and you would have been my first shot”😆

There ya have it folks..

If you’re going to carry, even open.
Get proper equipment for gods sake

Unfortunately a lot of folks either have the false idea the mere presence of open carry wards off evil all by itself OR that loud American type (sometimes a little if both)

And the fact folks have a 600 dollar or more gun but use a 10 dollar nylon stuff from a flea market (usually for mushroom hunting they got in the military surplus junk by the Bolivian Indians playing flutes and selling Baja hoodies)

They are the ones that will say “I can’t believe it happened to me) when they get knocked to the ground and their gun taken!

What do you do they know everything!

Around my area, most open carry folks tend to be younger, maybe late 20’s or early to mid 30’s. It could be that they are maybe a little uneducated about holster retention. Or (and I think this is more likely), they consider themselves tough enough and quick enough to stave off any threat and use open carry to further emphasize “better not mess with me, I’m tough.”

We see this kind of thing daily here in Texas... and it always seems to be sloppy. Honestly I think it just makes some folks feel better about themselves or ability to handle things... NM that if I were a bad guy they would be the first target and most likely give me an extra gun to do the bad stuff. For me personally I conceal and the only time I show is I untuck if/when getting gas late at night. This does not include the hunting or outdoor rig that is deff open.

Nope. No reason for anyone to know what I got.
1723508217967.gif

Back