testtest

Reasonably accurate M16A1 ( semi auto obviously) clone

I personally have no use for one. Or an A4 upper of any kind. But then I am not nostalgic for the old days back in Nam.
I don't have a problem with most of the new upgrades in the AR15, like 6.8spc, 6.5G, 7.62x39 or 308.
1674571429288.gif

1674571477095.gif

I like mine to have pic rails for better optics, better BUIS, 1:7 or 1:8 twist rates, thicker, modern receivers, modern charging handles and bolt carrier groups and fire control groups, better furniture, better sling mounts, etc..
Yeah, but…

I was out with an old friend, who has a Colt CAR-15 that he bought in the late 1980’s, right before he went in the military…it’s bare bones. The old-style collapsible stock, CAR handguards, pencil barrel. No optics, A1 rear sights on a fixed handle.

It was a joy to shoot; it was so light and fast handling…nothing like my LE6920 M4gery with rails, Vtac stock, MIAD grip, Aimpoint CompM4, Surefire light, VFG; mine was a heavy pig in comparison.

And dang, if I didn’t like that old school.

So, there’s definitely something going for it.

Yeah, but…

I was out with an old friend, who has a Colt CAR-15 that he bought in the late 1980’s, right before he went in the military…it’s bare bones. The old-style collapsible stock, CAR handguards, pencil barrel. No optics, A1 rear sights on a fixed handle.

It was a joy to shoot; it was so light and fast handling…nothing like my LE6920 M4gery with rails, Vtac stock, MIAD grip, Aimpoint CompM4, Surefire light, VFG; mine was a heavy pig in comparison.

I suppose. Range fun. Nostalgic for the VietNam days.

My ARs are pretty bare bones. No lights, no toaster ovens or other crap. Usually just an optic. And being that I am fairly new to the AR platform they seem pretty dang light to me. Certainly lighter than every single one of my shotguns or other long guns.

Certainly an A4 would not be something I would grab in a SD situation unless there was no other choice. There's a very good reason why soldiers aren't carrying them anymore.

It turns out my buddy Jim, a Viet Nam vet, is fielding a bunch of questions from his oldest grandson who is all about tactical this, tactical that and whatever. Jim mentioned to him that he used to be able to field strip his M16 blind folded. So I think he is way less concerned with it looking or being spec'ed out like an M16 than he is with it being the same to field strip. Which means any AR would do. He really is looking for a non functional replica, like a field stripping teaching aid or something. He wouldn't be opposed to buying an AR ( and the only thing I can find that field strips and is inert or doesn't require a 4473 is actually more expensive than some AR-15s) except that he doesn't trust the government (Imagine that, a Viet Nam vet who doesn't trust the government) and as such owns no weapons that come with a paper trail.

So, new question. Does anyone know of a fake AR/M16 that field strips down to the BCG the same way as a real one and doesn't cost as much as an actual AR ?

It turns out my buddy Jim, a Viet Nam vet, is fielding a bunch of questions from his oldest grandson who is all about tactical this, tactical that and whatever. Jim mentioned to him that he used to be able to field strip his M16 blind folded. So I think he is way less concerned with it looking or being spec'ed out like an M16 than he is with it being the same to field strip. Which means any AR would do. He really is looking for a non functional replica, like a field stripping teaching aid or something. He wouldn't be opposed to buying an AR ( and the only thing I can find that field strips and is inert or doesn't require a 4473 is actually more expensive than some AR-15s) except that he doesn't trust the government (Imagine that, a Viet Nam vet who doesn't trust the government) and as such owns no weapons that come with a paper trail.

So, new question. Does anyone know of a fake AR/M16 that field strips down to the BCG the same way as a real one and doesn't cost as much as an actual AR ?
Just buy an upper.

Besides popping the takedown pins, everything is the same.

You could also get an 80% lower, and just get it to the point where you could attach the upper, but still be non-functional…

Yeah, but…

Hans, I have a feeling you'd like my old-school retro builds.... ;)

1674580556893.jpeg

Just buy an upper.

Besides popping the takedown pins, everything is the same.

You could also get an 80% lower, and just get it to the point where you could attach the upper, but still be non-functional…
Any work you do to an 80% lower towards making it remotely functional, like milling for the FCG or even the safety selector makes the 80% lower a legal firearm by the ATF's definition. An 80% lower may not be the best avenue of approach if the intention is to make it compatible with and lower parts but not mill the entire lower.

Any work you do to an 80% lower towards making it remotely functional, like milling for the FCG or even the safety selector makes the 80% lower a legal firearm by the ATF's definition. An 80% lower may not be the best avenue of approach if the intention is to make it compatible with and lower parts but not mill the entire lower.
So if you mill it out to make it function then what ? You are legally obligated to do what exactly?

So if you mill it out to make it function then what ? You are legally obligated to do what exactly?
Your legally obligated to consider it a firearm. I'm not sure what you're asking.

The statement I was quoting said to just bring the 80% lower to the point of being able to add the parts but keep it non functional.

What is the point of keeping a legal firearm non functional? Wouldn't you be better off having a demilled firearm instead of a real firearm with no intention of making it functional.

Completed 80% lowers fall in to a different category when it comes to selling one or gifting one. You could find yourself in a bit of legal trouble if the intention is to gift or sell a completed 80% lower.

Your legally obligated to consider it a firearm. I'm not sure what you're asking.

The statement I was quoting said to just bring the 80% lower to the point of being able to add the parts but keep it non functional.

What is the point of keeping a legal firearm non functional? Wouldn't you be better off having a demilled firearm instead of a real firearm with no intention of making it functional.

Completed 80% lowers fall in to a different category when it comes to selling one or gifting one. You could find yourself in a bit of legal trouble if the intention is to gift or sell a completed 80% lower.
Well, I think his intention is to just use it to show off to his grandson. I think if he wanted a functioning rifle he would buy one in a private sale. Really I think he was hoping someone would have a "Not real" replica for a couple hundred dollars that field stripped down to the bolt.

I wasn't sure if you knew something I didn't about the new frame rule or something and maybe you had to serialize them or something. And he could always buy a jig and finish it if he wanted to shoot it.

Well, I think his intention is to just use it to show off to his grandson. I think if he wanted a functioning rifle he would buy one in a private sale. Really I think he was hoping someone would have a "Not real" replica for a couple hundred dollars that field stripped down to the bolt.

I wasn't sure if you knew something I didn't about the new frame rule or something and maybe you had to serialize them or something. And he could always buy a jig and finish it if he wanted to shoot it.
He should be able to use an 80% as a display mount though he wouldn't have a trigger, selector switch, or other lower parts to complete the look of the replica. The takedown and pivot pins in an 80% lower should be already milled out to accept an upper.

Here's a replica firearm website if this is an option for what he maybe looking for.

I like mine to have pic rails for better optics, better BUIS, 1:7 or 1:8 twist rates, thicker, modern receivers, modern charging handles and bolt carrier groups and fire control groups, better furniture, better sling mounts, etc..
1674586351037.gif

1674586437441.gif

All said with pictures, not a single word, isn't America wonderful. Needs a little tune-up, but
1674586741793.gif

1674586457280.gif

So apparently the way GIs in Viet Nam were taught to field strip a rifle is a little different than the way we strip AR-15s/M4s today. They took the handguards off ( which apparently there was some piece of medal or hook you pulled to do that ?) even though there doesn't seem to be much reason to take them off. Also they didn't strip the BCG. They pulled the carrier out and used the same "Scratchy triangular brush thing" they cleaned the bore with to scrape any crap off the exposed parts of the assembled BCG.

My pal Jim is a left leaning pro gun VietNam combat vet who had a stroke a few years ago which precipitated a long dormant PTSD. He has begun acquiring little things off eBay and from other vets that remind him of his time in the service in order to normalize his newly de-compartmentalized traumatic feelings about his time in VietNam. He says it has helped him. Anyway, he is not interested in obtaining any more guns or leaving any functional firearms to his grandchildren or anything. He is however not opposed to it as long as it's not something that he has to send info to the government to get. And he'd really prefer to not spend a bunch of money. His intention is to A) field strip his "weapon" for his oldest grandson and B) have something he can look at that brings him back to his memories of his time in the service. Ideally a not overly expensive replica that he can field strip to the specs he learned in his "Connie manual" ( look that one up ;) ) and that resembles the M16A1 in appearance would be optimal.

I doubt such a thing exists.

So another stupid question. I have zero experience with any M16/M4/AR15 variant that doesn't have a free floating handguard. Do these modern, round handguards come off the same way the triangular ones on the M16 did ? Did those have Delta rings on them ?

Back