testtest

Reasonably accurate M16A1 ( semi auto obviously) clone

Most of your modern AR's have free floated handguards and they do not have the delta ring. Now on your cheaper AR's that have the round plastic hanguards then yes they have the ring and it comes off the same. Anything that has the delta ring comes off the same, new or old. some of your front mounts on some are different. on the older Armalites was different. but most use the standard mount handguard. Now all i have seen that have the older A1 front sight will remove like the m16a1. now some may be round and some triangular, but usually if the handuard is round so is the mount. not necessarily true on an armalite.

There used to be a line of Japanese-made metal replicas that stripped pretty much like real guns. I think they were imported by or distributed by Collectors Armory in northern Virginia (Alexandria, maybe?) I visited their joint once in the mid-'80s and bought out of their "damaged & defective" bin an XM-177 for, IIRC, $25, which was about a third what the "good ones" retailed for. I've taken a good look at the lower (which includes the FA parts) and have thought that it MIGHT be possible to adapt a dedicated .22LR upper to it (I wouldn't trust a 5.56 upper on it), but have never made any effort to actually try to do it. I don't know if this line of guns is still available in US.

So do the modern round handguards on the A4 style guns come off the same way as the M16 ?
Yes but either delta ring isn't that easy to fully compress while trying to fit a 2 piece handguard in place so a tool is typically used for the hand guard removal and reinstall. There maybe another easy tooless method to remove and install a handguard but I'm not familiar with it.

There are no field serviceable parts under a handguard so I don't see any reason to remove it in the field.

Yes but either delta ring isn't that easy to fully compress while trying to fit a 2 piece handguard in place so a tool is typically used for the hand guard removal and reinstall. There maybe another easy tooless method to remove and install a handguard but I'm not familiar with it.

There are no field serviceable parts under a handguard so I don't see any reason to remove it in the field.

Some of mine are easy enough to pull down with your hands and some i need that tool. but like you said no need to take them off much. i do only to wipe the barrel off during a cleaning.

When jim mentioned pulling down on some medal piece it was lost on me.

I also gotta point out that the "Connie manual" very clearly explains how to strip a BCG, which Jim claims they didn't do. If problems got that far it was an armorers problem. I'm not sure how true that is, but I know that Jim was a fire fightfighter ( he said wreck something or other firefighter) he was thrust into the role of rifleman several times due to attempts by the enemy to overrun whatever camp it was he was in. So he was not a dude going out on patrols in the jungle and his experience with maintenance might well be different than typical GI's.

Back