testtest

Red Dot vs. Iron Sights for Concealed Carry

I agree with you 100%, I am retired now from LE and also use reading glasses, however I dont need them for sighting with iron sights or the red dot. I have a hellcat with a red dot and another without, i carry the one without as i have shot iron sights for so many years, qualifying day, night and with different amounts of light, i like the red dot but have to get used to it. my plans are to start carrying the red dot as I get more familiar with it. (its hard to teach an old dog new tricks)

I used a dot but went back to irons, I just prefer it to a dot. I either carry a HCP or G19 and they both have a natural point of aim for me. On target guns for longer distance I think the dot are a better option but for CCW I'm sticking with the irons. That's my personal opinion and I'm sure there are some that think the opposite so do whatever works for you.

I use both. It doesn't matter to me. I have optics on 3 pistols, which are my Hellcat micro, M&P Shield Plus, and Beretta APX Compact. I can see the dot and the irons with both (co-witness), so it's a win/win situation. All my other pistols have irons. I prefer at least a 6MOA with red dots, and I like a big front dot with irons. The stock irons on the Hellcat are perfect for me as standard sized irons and smaller dots washout and blur away if I don't have my glasses on.

The key to CCing a gun with a red dot is train under pressure conditions and train with someone competent. Shooting at paper targets is fine, but drawing from concealment with a red dot and trying to get a A zone shot on in under 2 seconds takes practice and technique. A red dot is every bit as effective as iron sights up close and clearly has a significant advantage beyond bad breath distance. But you gotta stick with it. And if a gun has a natural point of aim for you, the dot will be there every single time.

When I'm out & about don't wear reading glasses. Regardless of barrel length still had trouble focusing on the front sight. I'm old school going to dots was a big leap for me. After many hours of dry firing with a Mantis X3 with a dot went to live fire with the Mantis. Have fired close to 700 rounds feel very comfortable using a dot on my carry pistols.

Back