testtest

Red Dot vs. Iron Sights for Concealed Carry

I agree with you 100%, I am retired now from LE and also use reading glasses, however I dont need them for sighting with iron sights or the red dot. I have a hellcat with a red dot and another without, i carry the one without as i have shot iron sights for so many years, qualifying day, night and with different amounts of light, i like the red dot but have to get used to it. my plans are to start carrying the red dot as I get more familiar with it. (its hard to teach an old dog new tricks)

I used a dot but went back to irons, I just prefer it to a dot. I either carry a HCP or G19 and they both have a natural point of aim for me. On target guns for longer distance I think the dot are a better option but for CCW I'm sticking with the irons. That's my personal opinion and I'm sure there are some that think the opposite so do whatever works for you.

I use both. It doesn't matter to me. I have optics on 3 pistols, which are my Hellcat micro, M&P Shield Plus, and Beretta APX Compact. I can see the dot and the irons with both (co-witness), so it's a win/win situation. All my other pistols have irons. I prefer at least a 6MOA with red dots, and I like a big front dot with irons. The stock irons on the Hellcat are perfect for me as standard sized irons and smaller dots washout and blur away if I don't have my glasses on.

The key to CCing a gun with a red dot is train under pressure conditions and train with someone competent. Shooting at paper targets is fine, but drawing from concealment with a red dot and trying to get a A zone shot on in under 2 seconds takes practice and technique. A red dot is every bit as effective as iron sights up close and clearly has a significant advantage beyond bad breath distance. But you gotta stick with it. And if a gun has a natural point of aim for you, the dot will be there every single time.

When I'm out & about don't wear reading glasses. Regardless of barrel length still had trouble focusing on the front sight. I'm old school going to dots was a big leap for me. After many hours of dry firing with a Mantis X3 with a dot went to live fire with the Mantis. Have fired close to 700 rounds feel very comfortable using a dot on my carry pistols.

I haven't give up my irons on any pistol upon which I have mounted a dot.

Also, the dot doesn't slow me down. Is better (for me) in low light situations. Increases my engagement speed at distance. Effectively increases my range. And if it dies, ...I have irons.

I've also had no problems with concealment.

Back