testtest

Self-Defense and the Law: Is Shooting Long-Distance in Defense Defensible in Court?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
It is true that most DGUs (Defensive Gun Usages) take place at much closer distances. However, the fact is that against a violent criminal armed with a remote-controlled weapon, deadly force may be totally justified at what most would consider “long range.”

1723142453839.png

great article, I've read some of Massad's work for years. It's why I train for close up and far away and everywhere in between. I can consecutively hit 60+ yards with pistols on a inside dinner plate target (head size) with my arms. Training for bad times never goes out of style. Note that this type of shooting is done outside. Now there are folks that do the metal laying on your back style out to quite some distance, impressive by any standards, with pistol.

great article, I've read some of Massad's work for years. It's why I train for close up and far away and everywhere in between. I can consecutively hit 60+ yards with pistols on an inside dinner plate target (head size) with my arms. Training for bad times never goes out of style. Note that this type of shooting is done outside. Now there are folks that do the metal laying on your back style out to quite some distance, impressive by any standards, with pistol.
I routinely end handgun sessions with 100 yard shots at steel IDPA silhouettes.

Is the person shooting at you?

Is there some kind of magic that makes their bullets harmless at X yards short of you?

If the answers are yes and no respectively, then yes, you should defend yourself with your firearm.

The numerous times I’ve seen this question come up across many fora, I’ve always asked if someone could please show me a law where it was legal to defend yourself from an immediate and lethal threat at Y distance, but not at Z. Have yet to have anyone show me one.

PS: if you don’t want to take the shot because you’ve never practiced it, and don’t think you could make it…here’s your cue to start practicing out further, and further.

I’m a bit rusty, but I’m pretty confident that I can still do center torso at 50 yards. I used to be able to do it at 100 consistently, but I won’t claim I can right now…

But I’d still take the shot if I had to.

Is there some kind of magic that makes their bullets harmless at X yards short of you?

If the answers are yes and no respectively, then yes, you should defend yourself with your firearm.

The numerous times I’ve seen this question come up across many fora, I’ve always asked if someone could please show me a law where it was legal to defend yourself from an immediate and lethal threat at Y distance, but not at Z. Have yet to have anyone show me one.

PS: if you don’t want to take the shot because you’ve never practiced it, and don’t think you could make it…here’s your cue to start practicing out further, and further.

I’m a bit rusty, but I’m pretty confident that I can still do center torso at 50 yards. I used to be able to do it at 100 consistently, but I won’t claim I can right now…

But I’d still take the shot if I had to.
DE in 50ae is the easy button as for the sites are zeroed for 100 yards. At 50 yards you aim at the bellybutton fo head shots. This is in the 6" and I haven't tested the 10" barrel yet. I'm sure it can be done with plenty of smaller calibers, but it is what it is.

DE in 50ae is the easy button as for the sites are zeroed for 100 yards. At 50 yards you aim at the bellybutton fo head shots. This is in the 6" and I haven't tested the 10" barrel yet. I'm sure it can be done with plenty of smaller calibers, but it is what it is.
impressive TEXAS. Well idk about 100 yds for me, but, I can do torso center shots with my .500 SW magnum easily at 20+ yds, iron sights, full bore loads. I can do 50yds with my .454 casull.

impressive TEXAS. Well idk about 100 yds for me, but, I can do torso center shots with my .500 SW magnum easily at 20+ yds, iron sights, full bore loads. I can do 50yds with my .454 casull.
That mag has wayyyyyyyy more Kik than the ae for sure! Almost double the energy as the ae. It took me a while to figure out where to aim for 50 yard shots. Kinda point at the crotch for head shots is misleading on the receiving end ;) :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That mag has wayyyyyyyy more Kik than the ae for sure! Almost double the energy as the ae. It took me a while to figure out where to aim for 50 yard shots. Kinda point at the crotch for head shots is misleading on the receiving end ;) :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
yessiree. My hornady loads are 300gr@ 2868 ft lbs and underwood 350 gr very similar. Some of the nasty stuff is well over 3000 ft lbs. I do confess to wearing a shooting glove if I'm gonna empty a box... damn good thing I do body building and martial arts.
💪

Does your reply mean that unless the shooter is shooting at you, you have no responsibility or obligation to take out the shooter? If the shooter is executing 20 people in front of you, but not you, you have no obligation to stop the killing?

Does your reply mean that unless the shooter is shooting at you, you have no responsibility or obligation to take out the shooter? If the shooter is executing 20 people in front of you, but not you, you have no obligation to stop the killing?
Correct. I have no legal obligation to stop the killing. Moral obligation, maybe, maybe not. Entirely situation dependent. Have no misunderstanding, taking care of mine is my 1st priority, and until that is done 100% to MY satisfaction, everything else takes a back seat. That means safe and secure, not show them the exit and once more into the breach. YMMV

The rescue crew doesnt risk their lives if they will have to be dead or wounded and need rescue as well.

Sometimes its gung ho, sometimes its asses and then kick ass

If I’m dead because I tried to stop a threat after, say, 5 and they kill 40 more, or I asses and they get , 10, but I engage and stop threat, did I not save 35

so, you don't get the "he (as in you) pointed a gun at me", you can distract by saying "citizens arrest" and if he shoots your direction, then you bust a cap in his/her noggin!

Correct. I have no legal obligation to stop the killing. Moral obligation, maybe, maybe not. Entirely situation dependent. Have no misunderstanding, taking care of mine is my 1st priority, and until that is done 100% to MY satisfaction, everything else takes a back seat. That means safe and secure, not show them the exit and once more into the breach. YMMV
I know you legally have no obligation. I was more or less asking about how you could possibly live with yourself if you sat by and watched a shooter execute people in front of you without trying to stop it, when you know you could.

I know you legally have no obligation. I was more or less asking about how you could possibly live with yourself if you sat by and watched a shooter execute people in front of you without trying to stop it, when you know you could.
Very well thank you. Mine come first last & always. Add to that the likelihood of me watching a shooter executing people are slim to none, it's a non-issue.

Back