testtest

Shock In The Mail

Got my monthly water bill in the mail today and was shocked. My last bill was $62 last month, that includes water, sewer, and trash. This months bill was $121! They passed a rate hike without notifying anyone because the city needs 160 million to repair pipes and infrastructure. Good god! Nothing is cheap anymore. I can't brush my teeth or wash myself without worrying about the water bill now!
Use beer instead

Regarding the effluent, it is possible that the treated water is perfectly sanitary. I'm not saying it is, but it might be if treated properly. You could test that easily by taking a water sample and having it tested....cost you $50...but might be worth the investment. Maybe even sample the water near the discharge from the treatment plant. Look for e-coli. Coliform bacteria is irrelevant...it is not hazardous by itself (even though tested for and cause of failure in all states).
The water for our house is from the county system. The well water is for animals and the lawn. It was tested by the county and found to have total coliform bacteria but not E. Coli. They said it's OK for livestock but not for our consumption. I've drank a little of it before with no ill effects and I'm guessing people around here have been drinking it for years and I haven't heard any complaints.

Did I misspeak?
Nope, the only thing that hasnt risen in price is well … 😉

1721695757032.gif

The water for our house is from the county system. The well water is for animals and the lawn. It was tested by the county and found to have total coliform bacteria but not E. Coli. They said it's OK for livestock but not for our consumption. I've drank a little of it before with no ill effects and I'm guessing people around here have been drinking it for years and I haven't heard any complaints.
Coliform is not harmful....you are likely safe. The presence of coliform "can" indicate the presence of other bacteria that are harmful, but not definitive. Most people don't realize that most residential water wells at this time of year test positive for coliform, while those same wells are "safe" the rest of the year. It's kind of a scam in the well industry to boost money spent on testing and treatment, particularly during title transfers.

Got my monthly water bill in the mail today and was shocked. My last bill was $62 last month, that includes water, sewer, and trash. This months bill was $121! They passed a rate hike without notifying anyone because the city needs 160 million to repair pipes and infrastructure. Good god! Nothing is cheap anymore. I can't brush my teeth or wash myself without worrying about the water bill now!
you did get notified........you got the bill :mad:

Coliform is not harmful....you are likely safe. The presence of coliform "can" indicate the presence of other bacteria that are harmful, but not definitive. Most people don't realize that most residential water wells at this time of year test positive for coliform, while those same wells are "safe" the rest of the year. It's kind of a scam in the well industry to boost money spent on testing and treatment, particularly during title transfers.
we just pour a gallon of bleach down the well ever so often and it clears right up..............smell, taste and any other medical conditions 1 has o_O

we just pour a gallon of bleach down the well ever so often and it clears right up..............smell, taste and any other medical conditions 1 has o_O
Do you have a pitless adapter? If so, you should definitely rinse the bleach off with clean water after adding bleach, otherwise you're asking for trouble next pump change. Periodic addition of bleach can help some well issues...but can make other issues worse.

Do you have a pitless adapter? If so, you should definitely rinse the bleach off with clean water after adding bleach, otherwise you're asking for trouble next pump change. Periodic addition of bleach can help some well issues...but can make other issues worse.
we used to do it before having a submergible as we only had a windmill w/10k tank. seamed to work safely back then as we never had a hint of bleach taste or smell..........i know it can be a ppm safe level (or however else it can be shown)? i'm talking about early 70's. not familiar with "pitless adapter"? our old well was 150' or so w/3 or 4" pipe. now we pump from 40' w/submergible and use a pressure tank w/pressure switches. the river is about 20-30' below us as we have great supply.

Back