testtest

Shock In The Mail

No notification, got the bill!
They probably feel it was a notification :mad:. It's bs when they'd that. My electric provider did the same thing..... my bill went from the 320-350 to 550-570. NG is used to generate electricity is their reason for 50%+ in increase cost. It's back somewhat down at least. They need a grant from the state as it should reduce pricing to almost normal?

we just pour a gallon of bleach down the well ever so often and it clears right up..............smell, taste and any other medical conditions 1 has o_O
We “ shock” the well every year or so. And our local health dept. tests our water for free, which we do regularly. We have a filter too and a water softener.

Generally our drinking water comes from 5 gallon bottles of purified water. Which I get free.

I live within city limits.
Our water bill averages about $150 quarterly. We get a separate bill for trash and sewer combined, that runs about another $150, and $80 of that is trash. That's for a family of 4

All things considered I guess that's not terrible.

I really can’t complain My bill is around 70 a month but that’s water, sewer and trash and they have a 5.00 surcharge for some upcoming major replacement on drainage infrastructure.

They also have free limb removal just like any limbs up and the city picks up a couple times a week and mulches them.

Regarding the effluent, it is possible that the treated water is perfectly sanitary. I'm not saying it is, but it might be if treated properly. You could test that easily by taking a water sample and having it tested....cost you $50...but might be worth the investment. Maybe even sample the water near the discharge from the treatment plant. Look for e-coli. Coliform bacteria is irrelevant...it is not hazardous by itself (even though tested for and cause of failure in all states).
its tested regularly by the sabine river authority, but fecal chloroform is high in the lake. there are MANY MANY septic systems right up against the 500 foot buffer, they are trying to stop new ones, from going in.
our city that is 6 miles away refuses to even try to get lines out to the lake, they act like it does not exist. the old guard is so dumb here, missing millions in revenue from events

the lake bottom is muddy and if you choose to swim, you turn brown

our water provide just sent a proposed rate hike to be approved by the state....omg it will put base bill, before on drop is used at 200.00 a month, then add in the sewer charge and meter fees.
i suspect we will see more of the transplants from the west, sell and move.
i plan to take advantage and buy the 2 houses on my north and east side. run my water to them and use them as bass weekend rentals...
my neighbor to my east is already making decisions on cooling their house or using water.
they are struggling to keep up.

its tested regularly by the sabine river authority, but fecal chloroform is high in the lake. there are MANY MANY septic systems right up against the 500 foot buffer, they are trying to stop new ones, from going in.
our city that is 6 miles away refuses to even try to get lines out to the lake, they act like it does not exist. the old guard is so dumb here, missing millions in revenue from events

the lake bottom is muddy and if you choose to swim, you turn brown

our water provide just sent a proposed rate hike to be approved by the state....omg it will put base bill, before on drop is used at 200.00 a month, then add in the sewer charge and meter fees.
i suspect we will see more of the transplants from the west, sell and move.
i plan to take advantage and buy the 2 houses on my north and east side. run my water to them and use them as bass weekend rentals...
my neighbor to my east is already making decisions on cooling their house or using water.
they are struggling to keep up.
It can be an eye-opener to see a aerial photograph of a lake where the houses have private septics (old septics). You often will see a darker plume of green grass running from the septic tank or leach field right toward the lake (that is hard to see from ground level). Having a municipal sewer system around lakes makes a lot of sense from an environmental perspective, as not all (old) septic systems are up to code or were even built properly when installed....

It can be an eye-opener to see a aerial photograph of a lake where the houses have private septics (old septics). You often will see a darker plume of green grass running from the septic tank or leach field right toward the lake (that is hard to see from ground level). Having a municipal sewer system around lakes makes a lot of sense from an environmental perspective, as not all (old) septic systems are up to code or were even built properly when installed....
Which is ironic because a properly working septic system is dead simple to build. And when done properly, by the time the septic water gets through the drain field and hits ground water it's 99% drinkable.

Which is ironic because a properly working septic system is dead simple to build. And when done properly, by the time the septic water gets through the drain field and hits ground water it's 99% drinkable.
All very true, but septic fields have been constructed for a very long time, and prior to PVC pipe and rubber components, various irons and steels were used, both of which corrode and fail. AND, not all contractors follow code. You should see some of the work-arounds I've seen when a large rock is encountered unexpectedly in the path of a tank, lateral or drainfield.

All very true, but septic fields have been constructed for a very long time, and prior to PVC pipe and rubber components, various irons and steels were used, both of which corrode and fail. AND, not all contractors follow code. You should see some of the work-arounds I've seen when a large rock is encountered unexpectedly in the path of a tank, lateral or drainfield.
I’m sure. If you’re doing a drain field you are sitting in a backhoe. Large rocks shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I’ve never had a problem with one. Well, except the one I did at my first house with my first wife. Sunday morning drinking coffee and watching Wimbledon and I look out my window and see my 1000 gallon septic tank I buried the day before, sitting on top of the ground. 🤣🤣🤣

Rookie mistake. Like a swimming pool. Gotta put water in it.

I’m sure. If you’re doing a drain field you are sitting in a backhoe. Large rocks shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I’ve never had a problem with one. Well, except the one I did at my first house with my first wife. Sunday morning drinking coffee and watching Wimbledon and I look out my window and see my 1000 gallon septic tank I buried the day before, sitting on top of the ground. 🤣🤣🤣

Rookie mistake. Like a swimming pool. Gotta put water in it.
In my area of WI we can have rocks the size of houses in the first 100' of overburden. Not a problem with 10lbs of TNT and the license to use it. Other parts of WI have 6" of topsoil on top of bedrock....which is not uncommon just west of St. Louis if I remember correctly (from my days calling on well drillers down there). Those conditions invite shortcuts for buried plumbing lines. Life is like a box of chocolates....I would have guessed you run in to shallow bedrock on occasion since you do exactly what my customers do, just plumbing for a different liquid/gas?

In my area of WI we can have rocks the size of houses in the first 100' of overburden. Not a problem with 10lbs of TNT and the license to use it. Other parts of WI have 6" of topsoil on top of bedrock....which is not uncommon just west of St. Louis if I remember correctly (from my days calling on well drillers down there). Those conditions invite shortcuts for buried plumbing lines. Life is like a box of chocolates....I would have guessed you run in to shallow bedrock on occasion since you do exactly what my customers do, just plumbing for a different liquid/gas?
Rock yes. Lots of it in this county. Shallow bedrock ? Occasionally. I once had a STL county inspector ( they are notorious for being pricks) sign off on some 2 story deck piers because even hydraulic breakers couldn't get through the shelf.

Drain fields are not supposed to be deep. Generally 24". Most septic tanks aren't 6' tall. Big water mains can be fairly shallow, but most smaller water mains are 4'-5' deep. Freeze line in this part of Missouri is 30".

Standards for gas lines are 18" for services and 24" for mains unless it's under a roadway and then 30". More under highways and we often bore them in deep. It's not uncommon for grid main to be 4' or more. At 5' we have to use shoring so we try not to go 5'. Lots of the old cast iron is deeper than that though. Mains put 3' under a road in the 1890s are liable to be 7' or more now. We have been abandoning all those mains for the last 15 years though and replacing them with poly. Some of the big ones in the city are still in operation because they feed too much and abandoning them is going to be very problematic. They will go eventually. Some ( steel) supply feeders are fairly deep too. 90% of the mains I dig up are steel ( IP, NOT supply feeder), generally 2" coated steel and usually 24" deep. Approximately.

Bedrock that shallow is rare. At least in my experience.

Back