testtest

What Is a Muzzle Brake

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
While there are many different types of muzzle devices on the market, one of the most commonly used is known as a muzzle brake.

What Is a Muzzle Brake

1668472527770.png

I like the part where it states "you get what you pay for". An ignorant statement! I guess the less than $50 brake I bought must be worthless? So far it's the best and most effective I've bought per dollar. 30cal rated and installed on a 338lm. A beast of a cartridge with little recoil when installed. I've bought fairly high dollar brakes that were nothing more than a 1911 paper weight. The savage pictured in the article is the same gun I have it installed on (110 stealth).

I like the part where it states "you get what you pay for". An ignorant statement! I guess the less than $50 brake I bought must be worthless? So far it's the best and most effective I've bought per dollar. 30cal rated and installed on a 338lm. A beast of a cartridge with little recoil when installed. I've bought fairly high dollar brakes that were nothing more than a 1911 paper weight. The savage pictured in the article is the same gun I have it installed on (110 stealth).
.30 cal brake mounted on a .338?

Seems to me that might be a problem.

And some states ban flash suppressors, but not muzzle brakes or compensators....
Asked for guidance, authorities says if its advertised as brake or compensator or if its literature states it performs as such, then its legal...

Many flash suppressors have some compensating feature but it is advertised a flash suppressor, so that is clear...
But many compensators/brakes do some flash hiding, and while they are advertised as a compensators/brakes, some of them the description and literature will talk about it hiding the flash as well....

Hmmm, I just went to copy over the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Comp/Brake as an example. But I found they added to the end of the description, "These products do not reduce the flash signature of the firearm". So it is looking like they caught on to some of the anti-gun states banning flash suppressors.

And some states ban flash suppressors, but not muzzle brakes or compensators....
Asked for guidance, authorities says if its advertised as brake or compensator or if its literature states it performs as such, then its legal...

Many flash suppressors have some compensating feature but it is advertised a flash suppressor, so that is clear...
But many compensators/brakes do some flash hiding, and while they are advertised as a compensators/brakes, some of them the description and literature will talk about it hiding the flash as well....

Hmmm, I just went to copy over the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Comp/Brake as an example. But I found they added to the end of the description, "These products do not reduce the flash signature of the firearm". So it is looking like they caught on to some of the anti-gun states banning flash suppressors.
True! Some are dual and lack thereof on description. Labels and ratings are deceptive.

Last edited:
True! Some are dual and lack thereof on description. Labels and ratings are deceptive.
In my experience, most things that are Dual use, they may be pretty good, but not the best at both.
Not having much experience with Comps/Brakes, I don't know if that general rule applies in this application.

I suspect,
Anything over the end of the muzzle will cut down the flash signature, at least some.
But just a couple of cuts in a hunk of metal on the end of barrel doesn't assure effective comp/brake action...

Thus the general consensus on the M16/AR15 standard flash suppressor, that claims to have "some" Comp effect, you likely won't be able to notice a difference in muzzle rise using it. Comparing my brother's and my AR-15's, one with a standard flash suppressor, one with nothing on the end of the muzzle, the best you can say, I "think" there might be a tiny bit less muzzle rise, but I'm not sure there is any difference at all.

Last edited:
In my experience, most things that are Dual use, they may be pretty good, but not the best at both.
Not having much experience with Comps/Brakes, I don't know if that general rule applies in this application.

I suspect,
Anything over the end of the muzzle will cut down the flash signature, at least some.
But just a couple of cuts in a hunk of metal on the end of barrel doesn't assure effective comp/brake action...

Thus the general consensus on the M16/AR15 standard flash suppressor, that claims to have "some" Comp effect, you likely won't be able to notice a difference in muzzle rise using it. Comparing my brother's and my AR-15's, one with a standard flash suppressor, one with nothing on the end of the muzzle, the best you can say, I "think" there might be a tiny bit less muzzle rise, but I'm not sure there is any difference at all.
The "bird cage" on military m4/m16 and so on are far from flash hiders and not even close to brakes (never designed that way). Under semi action it does reduce flash some, but 3 burst and full auto it breathes fire. I think the flash reduction is more for iron sights, as in so you can see better without blinding light. Brakes with 3 or more ports per side and 15 or more round holes still flashes. I know because of the vast collection of muzzle devices I own. But yes the dual is a give and take type for those who can't decide? Using other than factory ammo where you can roll your own has great benefits on less flash outcome. When you look at how it's installed/timed the muzzle devices usually (ones I've seen) don't have openings at 12 o'clock. There're some that do though, but usually have openings all the way around or have the 6 o'clock solid so when prone it doesn't kick up debris. It can get expensive trying to get 1 that fits your style of shooting and be effective for muzzle jump. I'm not a paid researcher/promoter, I can give you the best choices without spending lots of money. From 22cal to 33cal rifles and 9mm to 45cal handguns I've bought lots of brakes and some work fair for flash reduction.

Back