testtest

Where Were You on September 12, 2001?

that was a Tuesday morning, i had just come off my run at 5AM coming back from NJ.

went to bed, got up like about 3 hours later, turned on the tv to watch the Today Show, and saw the first crash, then the second..

yelled to the wife, "we are under attack".

next few weeks, all bridges in NY had so many Guardsmen well armed, just waiting for an excuse to shoot

Like Belt Fed, I also was teaching. That morning I was teaching eighth graders in a Civics class.
As we were starting the school day another teacher alerted me that there was something happening in New York and to turn on the TV. As we watched in horror as the North Tower burned a second plane struck the South Tower. I remember turning around and telling the class that now we were at war. On another note, one of my colleagues that day had an uncle who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald for the 104th floor of the North Tower. She somehow made it through the day, but for the rest of us her loss made the day's events really hit home.

I worked nights a that time. I had gotten home and was getting my shower when my Mom's friend called. My Mom was at the V.A. with my Dad. He was staying there so my Mom could get a break from taking care of him. The V.A. was put on full lock down. I turned on the TV and watched as the second plane hit. I will never forget that day or that feeling. Still brings me to tears.

Crazy that it's been 22 years, I was driving to work and hearing about the 1st plane hitting the towers on the radio. Then when I got to work they had the news on and we saw the 2nd plane hit. I was in the suburbs of Chicago next to a train station and the trains were running out of the city and everyone was being sent out of downtown.

On the morning of 9/11, I was on my way to the airport for a flight to Newark. Final destination was in NYC near the twin towers. I arrived at DFW, and went through security. The plan was to grab breakfast at the airport before my flight at 10 AM. As soon as I got through security, right in front of me was a flight boarding for ATL leaving at 9 AM, my connection airport. So I figured what the heck, I can get breakfast in ATL. I boarded the plane and off we went. When I deplaned in ATL, there was a weird vibe in the air. I check the board for my connecting flight. I was stunned to see half of the flights canceled. I decided to to to the gate of my connecting flight. There I found an attendant crying her eyes out. It was then that I learned what happened. I went to the AA club and started making calls. No rental cars were to be had.

Fortunately, my company was headquartered in North Atlanta so I was able to get a cab to the office and they got me a rental from a local Enterprise shop. I was stuck for a week in ATL before I was able to get an Avis one way rental back to DFW.

That is a day I will never forget.

"dean of students" Leading Chief at Navy base pensacola for the aviation structural mechanic school
I had right at 500 students enrolled at the time with 72 instructors, it was a slow moving boulder working its way through the huge campus of near 4500 students

phones started ringing like mad to all the numbers in my office, the outer office students awaiting class that answered phones were buzzzing around not really understanding, we had no tvs in the offices and had to log into radio on the web to hear what was going on.

finally the CO sent a flash email out to lock the doors, lock kids in the class and then go room by room to account and let the kids and staff know what had happened. we had to keep them locked down for hours, which was really not smart of the head shed.
finally around 5 pm we were allowed to let them all go eat and back to the barracks

everything was different after that.

"dean of students" Leading Chief at Navy base pensacola for the aviation structural mechanic school
I had right at 500 students enrolled at the time with 72 instructors, it was a slow moving boulder working its way through the huge campus of near 4500 students

phones started ringing like mad to all the numbers in my office, the outer office students awaiting class that answered phones were buzzzing around not really understanding, we had no tvs in the offices and had to log into radio on the web to hear what was going on.

finally the CO sent a flash email out to lock the doors, lock kids in the class and then go room by room to account and let the kids and staff know what had happened. we had to keep them locked down for hours, which was really not smart of the head shed.
finally around 5 pm we were allowed to let them all go eat and back to the barracks

everything was different after that.
The not knowing where the next attack would be was the most stressful.

I was leaving a 5 day AF Reserve assignment in the Midwest with my pedal to the metal in the rental car, on my way to my HQ in Georgia, where I spent the next 18 months. The irony for me was that on 9/11, I was briefing a deploying USAF wing on the terrorism threat in the Middle East. All the reporting up till then was that something big was going to happen, but it was going to happen on the Arabian peninsula. I spent 6 of the next 10 years on active duty at various locations all over the world. Like so many others, it changed our lives, but it was a privilege to serve.

The not knowing where the next attack would be was the most stressful.
yes sir. the WHATS or WHO is next mindset ran rampant and the students and staff started feeling uneasy. we were getting vague orders and our CO and other senior leaders were trying to get a safe plan in action on the fly
we had drills for fire, hurricanes etc. but not a total lock down or active shooter. really brought to light how nearly 5000 people were un armed and basically trapped. we changed a good part of that as months moved forward. while trying to maintain a good educational environment for the students. so when they left to go to commands around the world they were ready to do their jobs and move forward.

one really positive was those of us that had the command duty officer watch, now had roof access and the roof of the main school house was 4 stories up, you could see pretty much the entire campus from up there. as well as the beach and bay area near our campus.
before it was forbidden to unlock the roof doors and take a walk???

People were seeing a terrorist behind every bush for a while. One disconcerting thing we discovered early on was a large number of illegal workers working for contractors on military bases. A lot of contract projects shut down as illegals ran for the hills as we started looking into it.
I still do not understand how a company can hire a undocumented worker. Each employee has to fill out an I-9, right? Each company has to file that each employee is eligible to work under current law, right?

I was working inside a prison. Went into the SOC office to return a set of keys. The Count Clerk, a bit of a joker. asked if I knew that a plane and hit one of the two towers in NY. I said something vulgar ending in you, laughed and walk back down to the "yard". No one was there. Went into the gym and all the I/m's and guards were gathered around watching the TV. Walking in just in time to see the second plane hit. Rapists, murderers, armed robbers, and assorted real bad men standing in shocked silence, some trying to hide tears.

I still do not understand how a company can hire a undocumented worker. Each employee has to fill out an I-9, right? Each company has to file that each employee is eligible to work under current law, right?
especially on a gov base or reservation. almost all contracts require proof of citizen ship or work documents
but there are always ways around that.

The story is asking about 9/12. The day after the attack.
On 9/11 I was at work when our secretary ran out into the shop talking about what she heard on the radio. One of the guys lived near by and went home to get a portable TV. Work more or less just stopped as we all watched the news coverage.
on 9/12 I was back at work as usual. But, being city government employees, everybody was trying to figure out what we should do. There was fear all over the country that this was just the beginning. Anyway, we all just did our normal jobs. The world had changed. Nobody felt safe anymore. But we were all pissed to high heaven and wanting revenge. 🤬

I still do not understand how a company can hire a undocumented worker.
Its easy. The city I worked for had a bunch of illegals working for us every day. The catch was that the City actually hired a labor contractor company who absolutely swore all their workers were legal. The city just took their word for it and looked the other way. :rolleyes:
I've talked to a lot of those workers. They admit right up that they're in the country illegally. I've been told as many as a dozen of them may be sharing the same bogus Social Security number. The labor is cheap, so nobody cares. :poop:

Prior to 9/11 it was easy with phony SSAN's and unscrupulous contractors and lax contracting officers. It tightened up after we started shining a light on the problem. INS and border patrol were hauling illegal contract employees off by the busload after 9/11

Was getting ready for work and turned on the T.V to get my morning traffic report. Needless to say I got more than what I was expecting. None of us got anything done at work that day. I along with everyone else was Pissed off that this could happen to our Country. Patriotism kicked in later that day and I strapped two American Flags to my truck and drove around the city to show that this was not going to keep us down. We (the US ) might get kicked in the Nuts now and again but we will always jump right back up. Maybe I should say "Jump right back up" depending on who's in charge at the time.

Back