testtest

WTF ? Optics plate loose again !

TTGChas

Alpha
Ok NFG here bought a 5” Prodigy NIB with the Hex Dragonfly already mounted. Run 250rds thru it and all the screws came loose , loctite and factory specifications re-torque and off I went 300rds later loose again , wash rinse repeat and now 380rds and the plate screws are loose again !!! I’ve cleaned all surfaces and threads , used RED loctite and torqued to spec inch lbs !!! WTF am I missing here ? I’m heading to Nationals in Tx next month and need this thing spot on every stage !?!? Plz help if you’ve found a fix for this issue let me now your secret sauce!
Thx
Chas

Ok NFG here bought a 5” Prodigy NIB with the Hex Dragonfly already mounted. Run 250rds thru it and all the screws came loose , loctite and factory specifications re-torque and off I went 300rds later loose again , wash rinse repeat and now 380rds and the plate screws are loose again !!! I’ve cleaned all surfaces and threads , used RED loctite and torqued to spec inch lbs !!! WTF am I missing here ? I’m heading to Nationals in Tx next month and need this thing spot on every stage !?!? Plz help if you’ve found a fix for this issue let me now your secret sauce!
Thx
Chas
If you are reusing the screws that could be your issue, torquing small screws deforms the thread pitch, try new screws.

I am having the same problem. Sent 5" prodigy back to SA under warranty (production date May 2024) along with the A14B plate (for my SRO). They fit new slide to gun, mounted plate and six weeks later I got it back. At this point they have had the gun longer than i have owned it. I put witness marks on plate screws before mounting dot and mounted dot according to trijicon specs. Took it to range three days in a row 200 rounds per trip. Around the 500 round mark the plate to slide connection was loose again. I contacted them again (10-2-24) by phone and suggested that the only thing we have not replaced is the $100.00 plus AOS plate and that I want to buy a new one to rule that out. They said they would send a new plate along with screws at no charge. Also said I need to use loctite 7649 primer $28.00, and blue loctite.
The plate arrived today, minus the rear u notch site. Contacted SA again and they are sending the site along with set screw. Yes I can remove the site from original plate but at this point I will wait for the new one.
Contemplating drilling though plate and putting a little tig magic in there to the slide.I really love the way this gun shoots, but refuse to remove optic to secure plate every 500 or so rounds.

question, what gun were you using when you qualified for (Nationals in TX)? does it sport a Hex Dragonfly?

Last edited:
Th
Use new screws stat... in Aerospace, we can reuse Some torqued screws more than one time... but these damn tiny Optics screws are probably not rated for rockets and jets... I highly recommend getting new screws, and if you can find them, screws that are a better aftermarket alloy.

I'd definitely say no to red Loctite I can tell you that much. I have plenty of slide mounted optics. None of mine have ever come loose. That said when it comes to 19111s I'm a purist. No optic on those. Also a 9mm isn't a 1911. Just sayin' :p
I agree with this... Except for my arch nemesis my original Hellcat OSP. That dang thing, through a combo of bad engineering in the optic hole threads and being supper snappy, will buck off the optics about every third range day. I have tried various composition of screws (metal) and threads, and yes, even tried loctite on the same, obviously torque properly and even once, over torqued... Nope, that *)@$^& just hates optics.

I agree with this... Except for my arch nemesis my original Hellcat OSP. That dang thing, through a combo of bad engineering in the optic hole threads and being supper snappy, will buck off the optics about every third range day. I have tried various composition of screws (metal) and threads, and yes, even tried loctite on the same, obviously torque properly and even once, over torqued... Nope, that *)@$^& just hates optics.
I've got them on HKs, a Walther and a Masada. Lots and lots of rounds through them all. Witness marks all still lined up, optics still zeroed. No Loctite.

I think if I was having issues the first thing I would try would be to throw away whatever screws came with the optic and get some good ones somewhere else. If that didn't work I would probably put the cover plate back on it and sell it.

Back