testtest

you ain't gonna believe this......dreams do come true

Old_Me

SAINT
my wife was clearing out, not cleaning out a spare room today....i was busy cleaning my car

i go into the house and she said..."look what i found"......

1724334681151.png

a 3 piece cet of cast iron skillets..!!

i always wanted one, as so many people rave about them...

one is 5", the other 6" and the bigger one is 8"

she had to recall when she got them, apparently they were a prize at the Bingo games she goes to, and just put them away....

and that was many years ago.

so now, let me ask and i still may look it up,

but how do you start off using a new cast iron skillet for the first time..???

and, how do you keep it clean..???

they are not American made, they were made in Taiwan....maybe they are lead skillets..????

i should point out, she didn't find that treasure chest i'm thinking she tossed in that room.

You can tell when they are well seasoned when nothing stick to them. I have a course brush I use when I rinse them off when cleaning. Then I heat them to make sure all moisture is evaporated, and then apply your oil. I have a tin from Field.com that is like a grease that I apply. No smell. Avocado oil works well also. Then I let it cool and wipe it down with a paper towel.

Feel the cooking surface of the skillets. If it is rough feeling , do yourself a favor by sanding the cooking surface smooth. Then wash and dry , then put it on a burner to make sure all moister is gone. Don't heat real hot.

Step 1--> Next lightly coat the skillet with oil and wipe out excess. Get oven around 200 degrees and place skillet upside down in the oven. leave in about 20 minutes.

Step 2 --> Take skillet out of oven and let cool. When cool redo step 1 and 2

Do step 1 and step 2 at least 3 times and 4 times won't hurt anything. Now you have a well seasoned skillet that will give you a lifetime of use.

One other tip. always get the skillet warmed up before trying to cook anything in it each and every time. For instance , if you are going to fry an egg or two , turn skillet on low heat and wait for the oil to start to shimmer before cracking that first egg.

my wife was clearing out, not cleaning out a spare room today....i was busy cleaning my car

i go into the house and she said..."look what i found"......

View attachment 64800

a 3 piece cet of cast iron skillets..!!

i always wanted one, as so many people rave about them...

one is 5", the other 6" and the bigger one is 8"

she had to recall when she got them, apparently they were a prize at the Bingo games she goes to, and just put them away....

and that was many years ago.

so now, let me ask and i still may look it up,

but how do you start off using a new cast iron skillet for the first time..???

and, how do you keep it clean..???

they are not American made, they were made in Taiwan....maybe they are lead skillets..????

i should point out, she didn't find that treasure chest i'm thinking she tossed in that room.
What these folks said except I use Lard or Bacon grease for seasoning and also a light coat after using & cleaning. I do not use any other oil except Olive oil sometimes, depending on the Temp I will be using.

well here i am already confused....on one video, the guy showed wiping the inside AND outside of the skillet...

i thought that strange, and some of you "seem" to mention only doing the inside..???

any benefits to doing the outside as well..???

This is true but not nearly good enough . Well as far as I am concerned anyway. The new cast skillets are also rough to the touch because they don't spend the time to smooth them out which saves them money.

That's the reason I suggested to sand paper them and then clean and season.
yes, these have a "circular pattern" inside.

and it is rough, which that circular pattern is something i cannot say i have seen on others in the stores.

Back