testtest

Hellcat OSP - Worst Gun I Have Owned in 67 years of Shooting

shabaka

Alpha
I have been shooting since I was eight years old, enjoy all types of firearms, am an NRA Training Counselor in multiple disciplines, including being an "NRA Advanced Certified Pistol" Instructor. Having read great reviews about the Hellcat I purchased a Hellcat OSP and heade3d to the Range. Fortunately my habit is to bring multiple firearms to the range as after painfully wrestling cartridges into a Hellcat magazine I stepped to the line, but did not shoot as the firearm did not go into battery. The problem was an ejector which was frozen in place. Working on that issue I noticed the inscription on the firearm that indicated that it was made in Croatia. Back in the mid 1980's Riuger came out with the P-85, evidently in their desire to get in on the 9mm caliber frenzy, as a Gun Writer friend of mine once said, that gun was not one of Bill Ruger's best ideas. Ruger had a massive recall on the P-85, customers merely needed to contact Ruger and they sent aq box to use to return the gun for upgrade, no need for customers to go out and locate a company to ship the firearm for repair. AND, OF COURSE, THE GUN WAS PROMPTLY RETURNED. I contacted Springfield regarding my Hellcat and they told me that I could ship it top to them, but I really do not have time to go out and drive a bunch of miles and pay to ship the firearm. I have a lot of experience working of firearms, so ordered an upgraded take down lever, extractor and extractor components from Apex Tactical. Getting into the extractor replacement I found that the parts, extractor and components, were locked in place by a light blue solid. Armed with hand tools I eventually was able to get the parts freed from the blue solid material, but it was quite a struggle, even with liberal amounts of CLP cleaner.
It bothers me that the Hellcat is primarily presented as an every day carry and backup gun, it is a pain to load the magazines and a company that does not function test a pistol to make sure that it can go into battery should perhaps reconsider their product line and perhaps start making dishwashers or vacuum cleaners, things that, if they fail to work do not endanger the life of the user.

I have been shooting since I was eight years old, enjoy all types of firearms, am an NRA Training Counselor in multiple disciplines, including being an "NRA Advanced Certified Pistol" Instructor. Having read great reviews about the Hellcat I purchased a Hellcat OSP and heade3d to the Range. Fortunately my habit is to bring multiple firearms to the range as after painfully wrestling cartridges into a Hellcat magazine I stepped to the line, but did not shoot as the firearm did not go into battery. The problem was an ejector which was frozen in place. Working on that issue I noticed the inscription on the firearm that indicated that it was made in Croatia. Back in the mid 1980's Riuger came out with the P-85, evidently in their desire to get in on the 9mm caliber frenzy, as a Gun Writer friend of mine once said, that gun was not one of Bill Ruger's best ideas. Ruger had a massive recall on the P-85, customers merely needed to contact Ruger and they sent aq box to use to return the gun for upgrade, no need for customers to go out and locate a company to ship the firearm for repair. AND, OF COURSE, THE GUN WAS PROMPTLY RETURNED. I contacted Springfield regarding my Hellcat and they told me that I could ship it top to them, but I really do not have time to go out and drive a bunch of miles and pay to ship the firearm. I have a lot of experience working of firearms, so ordered an upgraded take down lever, extractor and extractor components from Apex Tactical. Getting into the extractor replacement I found that the parts, extractor and components, were locked in place by a light blue solid. Armed with hand tools I eventually was able to get the parts freed from the blue solid material, but it was quite a struggle, even with liberal amounts of CLP cleaner.
It bothers me that the Hellcat is primarily presented as an every day carry and backup gun, it is a pain to load the magazines and a company that does not function test a pistol to make sure that it can go into battery should perhaps reconsider their product line and perhaps start making dishwashers or vacuum cleaners, things that, if they fail to work do not endanger the life of the user.
They offered to repair it under warranty, you declined. Get over it.

New or used? Disassembled, cleaned, lubed before firing? Did you mount optic yourself? Drip loctite into internals?

My Hellcat (bought new) experiences are very different. And I mounted optic myself according to instructions. Age 66, no problems loading magazines.

Post 28 in first thread below.

Last edited:
Look.

There’s a type of very…special…person who goes to a manufacturer’s forum to kvetch loud and long about a product for their very first post.

It’s…interesting…how they almost universally claim to have years, nay, decades of experience with the product.

It’s also…curious…how they will claim that they attempted to “fix” the issue (due to the centuries of experience they have), despite the company offering to fix the issue.

If you see enough of these things…they definitely have a pattern.

Don’t get pulled in by that lure behind the boat, and ignore those that dwell under bridges.

Of course, this just might be a coincidence.;)

So as I was reviewing this thread after getting email saying someone posted, I reread OP. Then I had an epiphany and went and got my Hellcat box out of the closet. Then I confirmed what I seemed to remember…there IS A FREAKIN’ TEST TARGET IN THE BOX. So OP is either referring to a used Hellcat he bought or he mysteriously overlooked the test target in the box clearly indicating gun was test fired. Now I’m thinking even more about loctite inappropriately applied…

P.s. Say hi to Thor, my 5yo Boxer…

IMG_4543.jpeg

Look.

There’s a type of very…special…person who goes to a manufacturer’s forum to kvetch loud and long about a product for their very first post.

It’s…interesting…how they almost universally claim to have years, nay, decades of experience with the product.

It’s also…curious…how they will claim that they attempted to “fix” the issue (due to the centuries of experience they have), despite the company offering to fix the issue.

Don’t get pulled in by that lure behind the boat, and ignore those that dwell under bridges.

You know, now that you mention it, when I buy a gun and have a problem, if I don’t already have an established forum account, my first post is always “Can anybody give me some ideas on how to correct this?”, or something similar. I do believe you might have
IMG_0120.jpeg
!!!!!!!!!!

Well for one thing Springfield pays shipping both ways, two you just voided the lifetime warranty, three, all of Springfield’s polymer guns are made in Croatia……
IMG_2937.gif

Look.

HG gotta hand it to ya, the natural progression of years then decades then finally of centuries is masterful. Good laugh.

So as I was reviewing this thread after getting email saying someone posted, I reread OP. Then I had an epiphany and went and got my Hellcat box out of the closet. Then I confirmed what I seemed to remember…there IS A FREAKIN’ TEST TARGET IN THE BOX. So OP is either referring to a used Hellcat he bought or he mysteriously overlooked the test target in the box clearly indicating gun was test fired. Now I’m thinking even more about loctite inappropriately applied…

P.s. Say hi to Thor, my 5yo Boxer…

View attachment 64065
i just checked my Hellcat box (bought the gun new) and i did not have a target in mine, but i did get a nifty uploader...

1723323502653.png

but i like my Maglula UpLoader.

and the O/P has not been back since his drive-by posting.

ALL firearm manufacturers (including the all-vaunted Glock) have issued a faulty firearm (or more) at least once in their manufacturing lifetimes. It happens. Send the firearm back to Springfield or don't, it's up to you. But don't get on a firearms forum and gripe about a gun without letting the manufacturer fix it first.

ALL firearm manufacturers (including the all-vaunted Glock) have issued a faulty firearm (or more) at least once in their manufacturing lifetimes. It happens. Send the firearm back to Springfield or don't, it's up to you. But don't get on a firearms forum and gripe about a gun without letting the manufacturer fix it first.
that's right, at the very least give the company a chance to make it right.

i just checked my Hellcat box (bought the gun new) and i did not have a target in mine, but i did get a nifty uploader...

View attachment 64072

but i like my Maglula UpLoader.

and the O/P has not been back since his drive-by posting.
Mine was a Firstline purchase, no idea if that had anything to do with target. If I remember, it was tucked away pretty good in box as well.

Back