testtest

Is a .22LR round plausible for self defense?

Guns and ammo or Handguns mag just did an article on this.
They looked at 22LR and22Mag and looked at different ammos. Federal Punch rated very well in both versions, as did one version of Hornady, particular in 22Mag

Based on that article, I would carry something in 22LR loaded with th2 punch. I would prefer the 22mag but the thread is about LR
I like the Aguila 40gr Interceptor .22LR load; I don’t trust a .22lr HP to expand, or penetrate deeply enough if it does…so the copper plated, flat point Interceptor makes sense.

They smell funky AF, though.

I once had a chance talk with former Green Beret Don Paul. The subject of fighting with a knife came up. It was his opinion that since most American's didn't grow up developing knife fighting skills then for most a knife fight was only a 50/50 proposition if that, and pursuing a better option was the way to go. If given the choice, I feel certain that most of us here would opt for a larger caliber, but if a .22 cal was the only thing you had then skill would be an important factor because defending one's self with a .22 cal would require one to hit the target accurately and frequently. Remember, it's better to be skilled than to count of lady luck because you can't always depend on her showing up.

There's a difference between "plausible" and "preferable." The OP was asking about plausibility, and course .22LR is plausible. However, I wouldn't consider it preferable, unless that the most power someone could handle in a handgun, for whatever reason.

And I'd agree that this has been beaten to death. 😉

Pull out the stops! Everybody knows Fords are better than Chevies!
It’s spelled Chevy’s……you force me to do this sir……..

IMG_2174.jpeg
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Actually, I believe it is spelled “Chevrolets”. :)

Most of us here assume that all the masses have the funds to buy multiple guns which may not be the case. Many years ago I carried a .22 revolver with a 6” barrel and thought that was adequate. It was all I could afford at the time and was mostly for self defense from four legged aggressors and worked pretty well for that. Would I carry a .22 now here in one of my state’s most dangerous cities? No way.

No I do not think that and those look pretty cool. Just me, I have never had a .22 pistol on me anywhere because it is not what I personally would ever choose to carry. I have a .22 in a 1911 frame style that is really fun at the range or outback plinking.
Yet, you call a .22–and again, I quote you—“something I have in the closet”…which pretty much says you don’t believe that there’s anything you can carry in .22.

There are plenty, fwiw; and as you experienced first hand, they are effective in making a stop.

I’m having difficulty understanding why you feel you have to keep arguing against it.

Yet, you call a .22–and again, I quote you—“something I have in the closet”…which pretty much says you don’t believe that there’s anything you can carry in .22.

There are plenty, fwiw; and as you experienced first hand, they are effective in making a stop.

I’m having difficulty understanding why you feel you have to keep arguing against it.
sorry bro, not arguing anything just talking... one of the few freedoms we still all have

My main issue with 22 long rifle is not the strength of the round but the reliability of the rim fire rounds. We've all been at the range when we pull the trigger and hear just a click. Maybe the 22 long rifle self-defense ammo is better I've never tried it so I can't speak to its reliability.

My main issue with 22 long rifle is not the strength of the round but the reliability of the rim fire rounds. We've all been at the range when we pull the trigger and hear just a click. Maybe the 22 long rifle self-defense ammo is better I've never tried it so I can't speak to its reliability.
It is definitely more reliable than in years past, at least in my opinion. I have run over well over a thousand rounds through my Ruger Mark IV and cannot remember how many misfires I had, but it was very few.

Surprisingly, Aguila is the best for me in reliability. I am at the bottom of a 500 round box without a misfire.

Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 22LR Rimfire Ammunition 500 Round Box

It is definitely more reliable than in years past, at least in my opinion. I have run over well over a thousand rounds through my Ruger Mark IV and cannot remember how many misfires I had, but it was very few.

Surprisingly, Aguila is the best for me in reliability. I am at the bottom of a 500 round box without a misfire.

Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 22LR Rimfire Ammunition 500 Round Box
I'm with you on this considering the thousands of .22lr rounds I send down range each month without many failed rounds using the cheapest bulk ammo I can find.

When shooting premium .22lr ammo it's extremely rare for me to find a bad round at all.

Back