testtest

Is a .22LR round plausible for self defense?

Okay Okay, since this topic was broached in a Rabbit trail on the .357 thread, I thought I might as well make a thread for it.

Can a .22LR be a good defense round?

For me the answer is a solid no, let me explain why. (Opinion Only)

First, any round can kill an opponent when placed perfectly, so this is not about that.

Most of the argument for the .22 for defense we read about or have any data on is related to, you get almost no recoil so weak shooters can put X rounds on target, or you have 79 rounds with which to hit your target so... and the FBI stats show that certain .22LR rounds can penetrate deep enough to meet their own gun buying standards (10-12 inches), but in my humble opinion those are outliers.
What are other consideration? Well, when shooting in combat, running and gunning under pressure, putting that tiny round exactly on the X may be harder than you think. Note: I have never tried this with a .22 pistol, I am a GWOT Army guy...
When acting under duress in order to stop an attacker, I dont know that I want to depend on micro precision with a tiny round, hoping that I hit an organ or other incapacitating point, when if I were shooting a 9mm or 10mm or another defense round, one bullet near that area would stop an attacker.
Another thing in the back of my mind is the condition of the attacker. If a person is high on whatever drug, you can stitch them up with rounds but unless you hit an organ that stops life or a bone structure that stops movement, that high person would still get to you, this has been seen all over the world in combat. In this case you could potentially mag dump your .22 on someone who was high and barring that perfect shot you could still get killed.

There is a lot more to this but these are my initial thoughts.
I'm not sure the "is it a good round" approach is the right way to go. I suggest "would you rely on a .22lr to save your life or the life of someone you love?" is more realistic.

I’m pretty sure a semi auto .22 rifle that holds 18 rounds could be a decent self defense weapon.
😍😍😍
IMG_2251.jpeg
IMG_2249.jpeg

If you are attacked you stay cool and use what youve got . I would agree that I would prefer not to have to defend my life with a .22 , but if I have a plinker with 10 or 15 rounds in it I am going to make you feel a lot of pain.

OK all you Rambo's who have shot exactly ZERO people in self defense or even pulled your gun. The question is simple- does a .22LR work on self defense? Yes or no. Not a dissertation on theoretical macho scenarios. There are NO criminals who are going to stop and analyze a gun and say "wait....is that a .22LR? Because the muzzle looks suspiciously small. It is? Well then, let's continue, shall we?"
Just stop. Save the macho for home where it works.
The answer is yes, the .22LR works just fine. Forget the perfect shot, forget the "it better be magical". The person isn't going to be 20 feet away to rob or attack you, they're going to be measured in inches, not feet. Closer to 6 feet would be a better proximity. A .22LR will work just fine. Empty the clip to make sure. Most will turn and run anyway. Those who walk up with gun pulled aren't going to wait until you pull yours anyway.
"Hold on brother, give me a chance to pull out my trusty, never miss, instant killer .45 so we can make this fair".
How many stories do you need of an attacker surviving multiple higher ballistic rounds. It's common, so no.... your magical .45, 9mm, .380, .357 isn't fail proof, even though I know you're an Olympic shooting champion and never miss and always hit your target dead center (at the range trying to impress your friends and wife).

OK all you Rambo's who have shot exactly ZERO people in self defense or even pulled your gun. The question is simple- does a .22LR work on self defense? Yes or no. Not a dissertation on theoretical macho scenarios. There are NO criminals who are going to stop and analyze a gun and say "wait....is that a .22LR? Because the muzzle looks suspiciously small. It is? Well then, let's continue, shall we?"
The answer is yes, the .22LR works just fine. Forget the perfect shot, forget the "it better be magical". The person isn't going to be 20 feet away to rob or attack you, they're going to be measured in inches, not feet. Closer to 6 feet would be a better proximity. A .22LR will work just fine. Empty the clip to make sure. Most will turn and run anyway. Those who walk up with gun pulled aren't going to wait until you pull yours anyway.
"Hold on brother, give me a chance to pull out my trusty, never miss, instant killer .45 so we can make this fair".
How many stories do you need of an attacker surviving multiple higher ballistic rounds. It's common, so no.... your magical .45, 9mm, .380, .357 isn't fail proof, even though I know you're an Olympic shooting champion and never miss and always hit your target dead center (at the range trying to impress your friends and wife).
IMG_0389.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.
Came in guns blazing ..

How many people have you shot in self defense ?

1729120932588.gif

Back