testtest

Is Constitutional Carry a Mistake?

You do realize that in 1924 you could buy an M1921A (Thompson Submachine Gun) and all the hundred round drums you heart desired mail order with no background check right?
I heard a statistic once, maybe on the radio that was interesting (and thoroughly ignored). In 1900 it was estimated that MORE than 50% of all homes had firearms. Today the number is about 35%. Compare mass violence then to now, guns are not the problem. I could be off on those numbers, I'm old and have CRS.

I heard a statistic once, maybe on the radio that was interesting (and thoroughly ignored). In 1900 it was estimated that MORE than 50% of all homes had firearms. Today the number is about 35%. Compare mass violence then to now, guns are not the problem. I could be off on those numbers, I'm old and have CRS.
A recent survey concluded that almost half of the homes in America have a firearm in them.

Now add to that number the people like me who are going to lie and the prohibited persons who are also going to lie.

I'd bet the number is in the high 70's

A recent survey concluded that almost half of the homes in America have a firearm in them.

Now add to that number the people like me who are going to lie and the prohibited persons who are also going to lie.

I'd bet the number is in the high 70's
I might make that bet too, but I also question the ability of anyone to "estimate" the households with a firearm 124 years ago as well. The survey I heard quoted 35%. Keep in mind, it's a survey.

Do you think the NFA was a good law? Do you think the NFA is somehow in line with the second amendment?
This seems like a loaded question.

Is NFA1934 a “good law”? What does “a good law” mean to you?

No rights are absolute. We have established procedures in our jurisprudence for determining when legislation is constitutional, and where enumerated rights are implicated, the courts apply strict scrutiny to their review.

If you wish to make the case that NFA1934 is unconstitutional, I’m not going to do the legwork for you. It’s your burden to make the case for your argument, not mine.

I agree completely . Constitutional carry is a great idea, it increases the potential for a bad guy to fail miserably to be bad. BUT the big difference between today and the 1700s is there is often little to no training.

I was public safety for over 30 years. If you knew the number of "idiots" go bought a gun and went to go bang bang with no clue about what they needed to do. I think that taking a course and staying up to date is mandatory for a good citizen. Should not be required. Its just good advice.

I have taught my kids to drive, but they also took a rather indepth driver training course because I wanted them properly trained in a 2 TON weapon.

I guess I believe All May, Some Should, None Must is the mantra.
Heck, in most states you have to take a class in order to operate a motorcycle. I don't consider training to be a non-issue.

Hi,

Lots of great discussion here. If I may, I'll add a couple of my profound glimpses into the obvious. ;)

In a perfect world (or if our country was perfect) there would be absolutely no "infringement" on law-abiding citizens carrying whatever non-military firearm we see fit. Call it Constitutional Carry with total reciprocity across all 50 states, open or concealed.

In a perfect world all responsible gun owners would get proper training and education, just because it's the responsible thing to do.

In a perfect world the felonious violent criminals would not be able to obtain firearms.

In a perfect world there would be no government registry of personal firearm ownership. Responsible owners would keep their own inventory records.

I could go on. But we do not live in a perfect world.

So, I will take "Constitutional Carry" or "Permit-less Carry" either concealed or not. In my state it is legal to open carry without a permit but I've yet to see it in the 2 years I've lived here.

I will take applying for a concealed carry permit because it also allows me to carry in reciprocal states. When I moved here and drove across country I enjoyed reciprocity in all but one state that I had traversed.

I will take the "training" requirements for a CCW permit just because I have to in order to carry. Being a responsible gun owner, I would've sought training anyway. In fact, I continue to train and practice regularly.

Responsibility is the key. All citizens have rights and privileges. It is up to the individual to exercise these rights and privileges responsibly. There are too many forces in the world, in this country, that want to take our freedoms away and make us bow to the will of the state. There are too many people willing to give up their freedoms for the illusion of safety, or for a handout, or for false promises of a utopian society. They've become complacent and blind, accepting the propaganda in the main stream media and from crooked/lazy politicians.

It's up to us to seek and speak truth, the whole truth, no matter how unpopular it may be. Tell a friend.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
I agree with most of your points. I kind-of disagree with this one: "In a perfect world there would be no government registry of personal firearm ownership. Responsible owners would keep their own inventory records."
There are a number of states where we can buy and sell firearms to each other and there is no paper trail whatsoever, much less the government. I know that we all do background checks, etc., in order to buy new firearms and that can be construed as government registry - I guess it is for new firearms. The real issue is how many firearms are out there trading hands without any visibility? Whether you like the govt registry or not, the fact is that there are gaping loopholes in it. Either go all the way and have us submit forms when we sell citizen-to-citizen, or forget about registry entirely. The two methods together don't really accomplish anything. YMMV

Hi,

... I suppose, if I wanted to, I could apply for a carry permit in a different state that would have reciprocal agreements with other states, but I forget which states even allow for that, if they even do or still do.

This is a pretty good resource to get some questions answered.

With permits in my home state and a non-resident permit from Arizona, at last count I can carry in 37 states. Many states issue non-resident CCW permits.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back