testtest

Let’s see some BBQ

Thank you! Wife got it for me for Christmas back in 2018. It is a smoker/charcoal/propane grill. With a side burner. Had to do some mods to it too get it just right. Oklahoma Joe's 3-in-1. Heat seals around doors, welded firebox to side of chamber, Baffle Plate, and the Perfect Draft BBQ blower on the firebox. Works great and able to do hamburgers/hotdogs/sausage/brats or whatever else on the grill side while smoking for those family get togethers. This was a compromise for a REAL smoker that I wanted, but couldn't justify the $2500 plus pricetag. So, I am happy with this. Have done ribs, appetizers, tomahawk steaks and chuck roasts on it so far. Honing my skills to do the Prime Rib Roast.
Well everything in life is a compromise. The secret is just how you deal with the compromise. And looks like you dealt pretty well!!! (y)(y)(y)

I don't eat much pork let alone ribs either beef or pork. I do prefer pork ribs if I'm eating 1. Greasy, but more tasty and tender. Why and if I get a smoker, quail is on my list!!!! Pheasant would be good.

About 25 years ago I decided to try and make my own bbq sauce. I've read the ingredient list on some of my favorite dunkin' sauce for possible help. That wasn't much help! Next I looked inside a grilling cookbook and it had 1 recipe. According to/by volume the amount of salt looked off (possibly a typo)? I thought what the :poop: I'll give it a try maybe it'll burn off? NOPE! I've been good on my sodium intake for quite some time :ROFLMAO: . Based on a 5 ingredient list I perfected mine in 3 tries (well really 2, just needed a little more thickness). BTW I use way more than 5 ingredients!
I give a lot of credit to those who will go that extra mile and make their own sauce. There are just so danged many good ones on the market these days, it's almost a non-issue, especially considering the extra work.

Since I don't use sauce on my product (I do make it available to those who ask for it) I just never could muster up the ambition to make my own. I do however make/use my own blend of dry spices for my rubs, and a glaze for ribs I make from a maple syrup base. I also use that same glaze as an injection on pork butts/shoulders. (y)(y)(y)

Man 'O' man, hard not to like good "Q"!!! :D :D:D

I give a lot of credit to those who will go that extra mile and make their own sauce. There are just so danged many good ones on the market these days, it's almost a non-issue, especially considering the extra work.

Since I don't use sauce on my product (I do make it available to those who ask for it) I just never could muster up the ambition to make my own. I do however make/use my own blend of dry spices for my rubs, and a glaze for ribs I make from a maple syrup base. I also use that same glaze as an injection on pork butts/shoulders. (y)(y)(y)

Man 'O' man, hard not to like good "Q"!!! :D :D:D
I've been wanting to dehydrate it if possible for a go? Hopefully it would taste the same?

I usually go cherry, hickory, & maple in equal amounts. Goes good with anything.

I’ll do apple alone sometimes; it’s a much lighter smoke flavor, but goes good with ribs & chicken. Tried peach once with ribs, liked it quite a bit; I thought it was going to be really delicate, but it had more smoke than straight apple.

I usually go cherry, hickory, & maple in equal amounts. Goes good with anything.

I’ll do apple alone sometimes; it’s a much lighter smoke flavor, but goes good with ribs & chicken. Tried peach once with ribs, liked it quite a bit; I thought it was going to be really delicate, but it had more smoke than straight apple.
I've been wanting to try some different woods. I'll need to find out how smoky woods compare to others along with flavor.

I know I'm odd with this one, but I've never been able to tell the difference between briskets or butts smoked with hickory, cherry, apple or peach. I just use hickory now. I've heard alder is the way to go with fish, but I don't let fish get in my smoker...makes everything taste and smell like fish afterward.

Maybe if I did a side x side taste test, but I only have one smoker to use at a time.

This is a greet bbq cook book that I have had for a long, long time

That is a really good book .......... but I have to admit I hate the word "REAL" or "BEST" in any book title or conversation concerning BBQ. It implies someone else's is not 'real' or 'best'. All 'Q' is good, some maybe a little better than others, but it's all good and I would never say to anyone that 'real' BBQ has to be from Texas, or Kansas City, or the Carolina's, etc. Or that it has to be sweet sauced, or vinegar based, or spicy hot, or any other descriptor.

I've had BBQ from all parts of the country, and a few different parts of the world. I honestly don't believe I could name any one of them the best, or any more real than any other. That's the same reason I don't get involved in BBQ contests anymore. The judges are all subjective. They can't help themselves, they're human. Even the judging criteria is all subjective. Competitors don't try to make really good Q anymore, they're too busy trying to make Q the judges like ..... and that's often based on where they're cooking across the country.

But 'Q' is always a good topic for great discussion.!!!

That is a really good book .......... but I have to admit I hate the word "REAL" or "BEST" in any book title or conversation concerning BBQ. It implies someone else's is not 'real' or 'best'. All 'Q' is good, some maybe a little better than others, but it's all good and I would never say to anyone that 'real' BBQ has to be from Texas, or Kansas City, or the Carolina's, etc. Or that it has to be sweet sauced, or vinegar based, or spicy hot, or any other descriptor.

I've had BBQ from all parts of the country, and a few different parts of the world. I honestly don't believe I could name any one of them the best, or any more real than any other. That's the same reason I don't get involved in BBQ contests anymore. The judges are all subjective. They can't help themselves, they're human. Even the judging criteria is all subjective. Competitors don't try to make really good Q anymore, they're too busy trying to make Q the judges like ..... and that's often based on where they're cooking across the country.

But 'Q' is always a good topic for great discussion.!!!
Agreed

Too much apple or cherry can make the meat have a bitter taste. Used sparingly as it sounds you do helps give it flavor and not bitter .
I learned the hard way. Too much apple wood on some ribs and they were almost too bitter to eat

When I got my electric, I started at 3-2-1, but found out that my ribs would be overdone (bone could pull right out) and often dry.

My method is, now, 225°, smoke for 2.5 hours, foil wrap w/liquid (usually apple juice, or if I’m doing the ribs wet, just the sauce) for 1.5 hour, then unwrap for 30-45 minutes. Occasionally, I’ll speed it up a little, and throw them on the gas grill for 5-10 minutes to finish…or if if I’m using a glaze (still experimenting with those…have t gotten desired results yet).
Thanks for that I will try it in my electric smoker

I don't eat much pork let alone ribs either beef or pork. I do prefer pork ribs if I'm eating 1. Greasy, but more tasty and tender. Why and if I get a smoker, quail is on my list!!!! Pheasant would be good.
I'd recommend being extra careful smoking game birds. They're so easy to let dry out .......... unlike most chicken and farm raised turkeys where they're deliberately fattened for the buying public. The fat obviously creats moisture in the product and in wild fowl there just ain't much fat to work with. Those little bodies will dry out through and through in a 'quick' hurry.

Thanks for that I will try it in my electric smoker
When I got my electric, I started at 3-2-1, but found out that my ribs would be overdone (bone could pull right out) and often dry.

My method is, now, 225°, smoke for 2.5 hours, foil wrap w/liquid (usually apple juice, or if I’m doing the ribs wet, just the sauce) for 1.5 hour, then unwrap for 30-45 minutes. Occasionally, I’ll speed it up a little, and throw them on the gas grill for 5-10 minutes to finish…or if if I’m using a glaze (still experimenting with those…have t gotten desired results yet).
Hey Hans is there a difference in using foil vs butcher paper?

I’ve always used foil; I’ve never really tried butcher paper (although I’ve been told you can get better bark with the brown/“peach” colored paper).

Need to try it one of these times.
Hey Hans is there a difference in using foil vs butcher paper?
I know that butcher paper burns in the oven! Maybe it's better on/in a smoker?

Back