testtest

Let’s see some BBQ

Smoked a pork shoulder today … ☺️
F17AE3B4-409D-4055-ABCB-569A1C1BD686.jpeg

And looks like you did a mighty fine job too !!! That's some heavy duty bark ...... you must use a lot of dark brown sugar in your 'dry rub'. Care to share recipes?
Brown sugar, garlic powder, Cumin, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, mustard powder and cayenne ( very little),

OK, how much of 'everything' except the cayenne? And is it dark brown or light brown sugar? I'm betting on dark from the looks of that great bark!!!

Give me a minute to go get mine. I'll gladly share it with anyone who wants it. I've been using the same rub for probably the last 40+ years. I worked on it for several years to get just what I wanted and once I found what I liked, I never changed it.

OK, how much of 'everything' except the cayenne? And is it dark brown or light brown sugar? I'm betting on dark from the looks of that great bark!!!

Give me a minute to go get mine. I'll gladly share it with anyone who wants it. I've been using the same rub for probably the last 40+ years. I worked on it for several years to get just what I wanted and once I found what I liked, I never changed it.
Little of this, little of that, till it covers the meat to satisfaction 🧐😉

OK, here ya go!
3 Tbs light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbs paprika (preferably smoked)
1 1/2 Tbs table salt
1 1/2 Tbs black pepper
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 good shake onion powder

Works well on pork ribs (all cuts), country style ribs, butts and/or shoulders. I rarely use cayenne, but will on occasion depending on my crowd. I also use a glaze on all my ribs and butts. In fact on my butts I also use the glaze as an injection before applying the dry rub. That way the little bit of squeeze out from the injection becomes a good binder for the dry rub.

If you care to try it, here ya go...............

1 cup quality maple syrup
2 Tbs pkd light brown sugar
2 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs Worcestershire
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp mustard powder

Mix all ingredients very well before heating it, then stir/whisk continuously while heating. Watch it very carefully, it will climb up the pat really quickly at the boiling point and likely to boil over much like making candy. Continue to stir/whisk for about 8-10 minutes or until all vinegar small is completely gone. Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle safely.

Use it as an injection on a good butt, and whatever squeeze out you get just rub it all around on the butt. Then shake on your dry rub.

Use it as a glaze on any cut of ribs during the last 1/2 hour or so of cooking. Apply with a brush about every 10-15 minutes for the last 45 or so on a 6 hour cook. Apply a really good coating on the meat side and just a little less on the bone side. It will thicken up and makes a really tasty glaze.

When I use this glaze I don't even offer BBQ sauce with my pork, and very, very rarely ever have anyone ask for any. Just think about maple cured bacon and it'll give you an idea of what this glaze does for pork ribs and/or butts.

Little of this, little of that, till it covers the meat to satisfaction 🧐😉
So am I understanding you don't mix your dry rub, but apply the spices one by one? Or that it's an old family secret, well kept for generations?

I always mix my dry spices very well before I shake it out on my meat and never could keep a good secret !!! :D:D:D I don't know, but for me it just seems to make a better, more consistent bark.

So am I understanding you don't mix your dry rub, but apply the spices one by one? Or that it's an old family secret, well kept for generations?

I always mix my dry spices very well before I shake it out on my meat and never could keep a good secret !!! :D:D:D I don't know, but for me it just seems to make a better, more consistent bark.
I add one by one
I dont mix

Back