testtest

Let’s see some BBQ

When I got my electric, I started at 3-2-1, but found out that my ribs would be overdone (bone could pull right out) and often dry.

My method is, now, 225°, smoke for 2.5 hours, foil wrap w/liquid (usually apple juice, or if I’m doing the ribs wet, just the sauce) for 1.5 hour, then unwrap for 30-45 minutes. Occasionally, I’ll speed it up a little, and throw them on the gas grill for 5-10 minutes to finish…or if if I’m using a glaze (still experimenting with those…have t gotten desired results yet).
I might offer a suggestion ........... from the earlier picture it looked like you were using a "Masterbuilt" cabinet smoker. They're great smokers for smaller gatherings/cooks, but because of their very efficient design they can and often will overcook somewhat due to the well insulated cabinet and the monstrous big water pan.

When that water begins to evaporate the cabinet temp will go up pretty quickly and maintain a high moisture content in the air surrounding the product which transfers heat much more efficiently. On the other hand they're great for long cooks like a brisket with times of up to 20+ hours. Just set the temp/time and go to bed then tweak it a little the next morning if needed.

I personally do not ever use foil on ribs even if using my Masterbuilt smoker but will occasionally spritz them with a little apple juice or cider and sometimes I'll even float a little cider in the water pan. However, I do watch the internal temps and the rate of evaporation from my water pan carefully. Even then it rarely takes a full 3-2-1 (6 hrs). I'll usually finish up on loin backs about 4.5 - 5 (+-) @ about 230F primarily due to the extra moist atmosphere. My 'tag-a-long' smokers will usually take about 6 full hours. (y)(y)(y)

Electric smokers are great for making jerky...dry-brine your strips, maybe 60-90 minutes in the box. Your imagination is the only limitation on the end result. Lots of good "kits" at Cabelas/BassPro for smoker jerky. It admittedly is different than dehydration jerky, but still good.

P
I don't eat much pork let alone ribs either beef or pork. I do prefer pork ribs if I'm eating 1. Greasy, but more tasty and tender. Why and if I get a smoker, quail is on my list!!!! Pheasant would be good.
Pheasant cordon bleu on the green egg

Attachments

• 20171102_182911.jpg
    20171102_182911.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 104
  • 20171102_185207.jpg
    20171102_185207.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 113
Uninterested as I am about cooking ribs in an oven, I thought it pretty coincidental to find this article on ribs today. A couple of the recipes might be pretty good, and there are a couple on how to cook them in an oven for those who might not have access to a smoker, grill, or other type of cooker.

Notice above I didn't say anything about BBQ'ing ribs in an oven, I just don't believe that is possible. But one can cook up a pretty tasty rack of ribs in many different ways that are not BBQ. Anyway, read on, you might find it interesting.

Back