testtest

Post your Saturday night jams ... or your fav music ...

Man, that must have been awesome. In 1990 I was fresh back in STL from LA and right in the thick of it musically speaking. I got to see AIC, Soundgarden, Nirvana and a S-ton of other great bands I couldn't know I wouldn't get the opportunity to see later. In '86, 87' I was on the strip hanging out with Motley Crue and GNR and bands like that. I got bored and came back to STL just in time. In the mid 80s I got to see RHCP when they were touring in a blue Chevy Van. My wife hung out with them in Dallas ( also Stevie Nicks) around the time they really broke big with BSSM and at home in STL I knew a girl who John Frusicante was banging and ended up getting high with him for a couple days until I had enough. That dude was out of his mind. I still gotta break out Liandra Nades and Usually Just a T-Shirt every once in awhile. I also am friends with the guy who built the 2 and 3 string guitars and basses for The Presidents of the United States. A luthier out of Seattle. I'm also a friendly acquaintance with a guy from the band The Undertakers who came out of Liverpool with The Beatles, knew them and even modded one of John's first Rickenbackers with a Bigsby. He went on to be a well known producer and he produced a couple tracks off of Led Zeppelin II.

Anyway, Mailman, Burden in My Hand and Like Suicide are songs that move me greatly. And if anyone is wondering or interested they are in an open G tuning. GCGCCE. Warning, once you start messing around with it there is no going back. I saw a Rig Rundown on their King Animal tour and they used 18 different tunings, and at least as many guitars each for Chris and Kim.

That is an absolutely insane history. Man If i'm ever in STL... that's gotta be a night of drinks and crazy stories that I wouldn't miss for the world.

Like Suicide is up there for me as well. I've seen and met a ton of bands, got lots of stories from tours and just weird things that happen before and after shows, but your history is a different league haha. Damn man!

That is an absolutely insane history. Man If i'm ever in STL... that's gotta be a night of drinks and crazy stories that I wouldn't miss for the world.

Like Suicide is up there for me as well. I've seen and met a ton of bands, got lots of stories from tours and just weird things that happen before and after shows, but your history is a different league haha. Damn man!
At the time it didn't seem that crazy. In retrospect I'm lucky I made it out alive. The ironic thing is my wife and RHCP and Stevie Nicks. We grew up a mile and a half apart, didn't know each other and were in different parts of the country hanging out with some of the same people without knowing each other and end up married. For 21 years now. She used to braid Stevie Nicks' Hair and while she was in Dallas hanging out with her and 3 of the members of The Red Hot Chili Peppers I was back in St. Louis hanging out with the 4th, who had just quit the band in the middle of their biggest tour and went on a years long drug binge.

Also, another interesting tidbit I haven't thought about in years, I banged Alan Parson's daughter in LA. :)

I missed seeing Nirvana live, before they hit it big with Nevermind, when I was in Oregon.
To be honest at the time I saw them I didn’t care for them. I didn’t really get into them until after he was dead. These days Bleach is in regular rotation around here. I was much more into Soundgarden and especially Alice In Chains. Layne Staley and Chris Cornell were the most haunting singers I ever heard.

To be honest at the time I saw them I didn’t care for them. I didn’t really get into them until after he was dead. These days Bleach is in regular rotation around here. I was much more into Soundgarden and especially Alice In Chains. Layne Staley and Chris Cornell were the most haunting singers I ever heard.
I agree.

Since I lived/still live in the same Region I'm a big grunge/PNW band fan no matter which variation on the rock theme.

Bleach really didn't get any respect until Nirvana hit it big.

Too bad about Kurt & Layne, and finally Chris. The demons got them.

Just a mood I've been in lately. Went to an old friend's grave this week. We buried her 42 years ago . I hadn't been to that grave in 42 years and I still miss her like it was yesterday. For you LKL

I agree.

Since I lived/still live in the same Region I'm a big grunge/PNW band fan no matter which variation on the rock theme.

Bleach really didn't get any respect until Nirvana hit it big.

Too bad about Kurt & Layne, and finally Chris. The demons got them.
And Weiland too.

In my early teens I thought Nirvana was amazing, but as I got older I realized they were probably the least talented out of the big four. AIC and Soundgarden were always the tops for me as far as grunge went. I never got that into Pearl Jam.
Cobain had the least talent of all of those singers by far. To me they aren't even in the same league.

Almost no one talks about Mother Lovebone though. and that's a goddamn shame.

If i'm being 100% honest, the only good thing to come out of Nirvana's end was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters.

In my early teens I thought Nirvana was amazing, but as I got older I realized they were probably the least talented out of the big four. AIC and Soundgarden were always the tops for me as far as grunge went. I never got that into Pearl Jam.
Cobain had the least talent of all of those singers by far. To me they aren't even in the same league.

If i'm being 100% honest, the only good thing to come out of Nirvana's end was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters.
Mother Lovebone basically became Pearl Jam.

I never got into the Foo Fighters although I do like This Is A Call, Learn to Fly and a couple others.

I was about 24 when Nirvana hit. I heard Come As You Are all over the radio and hated it. Still do. Digging deeper into his catalog it’s clear Kurt was immensely talented. I still prefer AIC, Soundgarden and STP ( I know STP isn’t a Seattle band)

My favorites are things like Galactic, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, DBT, Manchester Orchestra... Some Panic. I like that "Alt Country" Rockabilly vibe. My favorite Rock rock band is Alter Bridge, Myles Kennedy got pipes and Tremonti is a pretty good guitar player.

Mother Lovebone basically became Pearl Jam.

I never got into the Foo Fighters although I do like This Is A Call, Learn to Fly and a couple others.

I was about 24 when Nirvana hit. I heard Come As You Are all over the radio and hated it. Still do. Digging deeper into his catalog it’s clear Kurt was immensely talented. I still prefer AIC, Soundgarden and STP ( I know STP isn’t a Seattle band)

We'll have to agree to disagree on Cobain. For me, STP is just STP. I don't hate them but I don't particularly love them either.

Layne and Cornell had the most haunting voices, and the most raw talent. I don't feel the same emotion from Nirvana as I do from most of the AIC and SG catalogues.

The PNW Grunge Universe had various facets.

Nirvana, Soundgarden & Pearl Jam (only made 2-3 good albums) were all in different facets.

The Foo Fighters are like vanilla pudding. :whistle:

We'll have to agree to disagree on Cobain. For me, STP is just STP. I don't hate them but I don't particularly love them either.

Layne and Cornell had the most haunting voices, and the most raw talent. I don't feel the same emotion from Nirvana as I do from most of the AIC and SG catalogues.
The STP aren't grunge.

They are So. Cal alternative. Big difference, although they were out during the same time period.

The Grunge years was the last great era of Rock, after which MTV embraced rap & hop hop, and then the copy-cats (of mixed talent) came out and diluted the sound.

But single bands like Metallica carried the hard rock ball from there.

My .02

Last edited:
The STP aren't grunge.

They are So. Cal alternative. Big difference, although they were out during the same time period.

The Grunge years was the last great era of Rock, after which MTV embraced rap & hop hop, and then the copy-cats (of mixed talent) came out and diluted the sound.

My .02

Agreed on STP. Foo Fighters are just plain goddamn fun. Nothing groundbreaking, just good live music, entertaining, and alot of fun. Dave Grohl has a stage presence that only a few can replicate.

The STP aren't grunge.

My .02
I did a quick Wiki of "Grunge Bands" no mention of the Meat Puppets... weren't they one of the first? Mudhoney etc... Perhaps in common culture Eddie Vedder set the bar for flannel wearing disgruntled hippie pretend you are against the machine rock

Well music is subjective for sure. And I also look at bands from a musician's POV which probably colors my opinions. There can be no denying the DeLeo brothers are world class. Bob DeLeo is one of the finest bass guitarists to ever grace the planet and that's not subjective. It's impossible for me to rank bands. I love so many different bands I could never put them in any kind of meaningful order. Except for Alice In Chains. They are number one for me. They just nudged out The Beatles for that spot. :cool:
As for Nirvana, there are some songs that I absolutely love and I think Cobain was a good songwriter and, in brief shining glimpses, a great songwriter. For a ****. As a person I'm pretty sure I would have hated his guts. And if I had to rank him based simply on talent he would rank well below Soundgarden, all of who's members were songwriters and Thayill and Cornell are/were immensely talented guitarists. And comparing them ( Nirvana) to AIC, well, I don't think you can compare them.

Back