testtest

Post your Saturday night jams ... or your fav music ...

The STP aren't grunge.

They are So. Cal alternative. Big difference, although they were out during the same time period.

The Grunge years was the last great era of Rock, after which MTV embraced rap & hop hop, and then the copy-cats (of mixed talent) came out and diluted the sound.

But single bands like Metallica carried the hard rock ball from there.

My .02

When they came out they were widely criticized for ripping off the Seattle bands. And using the term grunge to only apply to Seattle bands is very short sighted. Most grunge bands ( including or especially the big 4) don't and didn't like the term "Grunge". Alice sounds nothing like The Melvins or Nirvana. Nirvana, inarguably the quintessential grunge kings, sound nothing at all like any of the other big Seattle "Grunge bands. STP has a hell of a lot more in common with Soundgarden, musically speaking, than Nirvana does.

Metallica was Speed metal. Not hard rock. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden would be considered hard rock if they weren't from Seattle and signed during that same period. Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin. Those are hard rock bands.

Now, another Bassbob sidebar since you brought up Metallica and Speed Metal. When I was in Tampa I lived in a flop house right next to the guys from Morbid Angel. I often hung with them and a band called Nasty Savage. These are the godfathers of death metal. And those guys were very much insane. Especially the singer from Morbid Angel. I could tell you some seriously F'ed up :poop: about that guy.

When they came out they were widely criticized for ripping off the Seattle bands. And using the term grunge to only apply to Seattle bands is very short sighted. Most grunge bands ( including or especially the big 4) don't and didn't like the term "Grunge". Alice sounds nothing like The Melvins or Nirvana. Nirvana, inarguably the quintessential grunge kings, sound nothing at all like any of the other big Seattle "Grunge bands. STP has a hell of a lot more in common with Soundgarden, musically speaking, than Nirvana does.

Metallica was Speed metal. Not hard rock. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden would be considered hard rock if they weren't from Seattle and signed during that same period. Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin. Those are hard rock bands.

Now, another Bassbob sidebar since you brought up Metallica and Speed Metal. When I was in Tampa I lived in a flop house right next to the guys from Morbid Angel. I often hung with them and a band called Nasty Savage. These are the godfathers of death metal. And those guys were very much insane. Especially the singer from Morbid Angel. I could tell you some seriously F'ed up :poop: about that guy.
Metallica morphed from speed metal to hard rock.

Metallica morphed from speed metal to hard rock.
Yeah. When they cut their hair. When they began the suckage ( it can be argued that they really started the downswing with Master of Puppets- I much prefer their early stuff. Black album, 7.98 EP, etc. and the stuff with Mustaine) I walked around singing, " Excuse me while I ruin my career", to the tune of what is it, unforgiven or some such.

Yeah. When they cut their hair. When they began the suckage ( it can be argued that they really started the downswing with Master of Puppets- I much prefer their early stuff. Black album, 7.98 EP, etc. and the stuff with Mustaine) I walked around singing, " Excuse me while I ruin my career", to the tune of what is it, unforgiven or some such.
They didn't cut their hair until 96 during the "Load" era.

I agree. And Justice for All was their last "speed-like" album but with "One" they indicated the morphing to Hard rock with the final transition with the Black album.
I’m not that up to speed with Metallica history. Which album had Fade to Black on it ? That was good.

Ever see Metallicops ? If not they’re on YouTube. You gotta watch it. Funny as hell.

Back