testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

collet order number for 9mm is BP2357, Number BP2358 for 38/357. Number BP2452 for 45 acp & 45 LC. Collet sizes are approximately .002 over actual bullet diameter to ease bullets into the collets. As the die is tightened the collet is squeezed to get good tension on the bullet.

Last edited:
the way i read that article, the writer was saying that he may not have seated the primer properly.

i check each and every round when they drop into the "catch bin", at the end of the reloading process.

in fact, i will "sometimes" have an improperly seated primer, but my press will not advance to the next stage, (the powder drop), cuz the primer just will not allow the advancement to the next stage. so i "back up" the round to the primer stage and re-do it.
Yessir, the primer not being seated properly is what started the whole thing. He was breaking down that cartridge so that he could then safely re-seat (seat it deeper) the primer. I think his main point was that the shell holder did not provide the same amount of space surrounding the primer as does the collet, and can even allow the case to slide sideways enough to allow the shell holder and primer to come together.

I don't know Old_Me for certain what happened. I'm only saying it won't be me who tries to experiment with the next one. I'm only saying what the guy in the link said .... Y'all be careful out there! jj

collet order number for 9mm is BP2357, Number BP2358 for 38/357. Number BP2452 for 45 acp & 45 LC. Collet sizes are approximately .002 over actual bullet diameter to ease bullets into the collets. As the die is tightened the collet is squeezed to get good tension on the bullet.
yeah thanks...i had contacted the company, and they sent me the same info...order was placed just after that...

thanks for that recommendation!!

Yessir, the primer not being seated properly is what started the whole thing. He was breaking down that cartridge so that he could then safely re-seat (seat it deeper) the primer. I think his main point was that the shell holder did not provide the same amount of space surrounding the primer as does the collet, and can even allow the case to slide sideways enough to allow the shell holder and primer to come together.

I don't know Old_Me for certain what happened. I'm only saying it won't be me who tries to experiment with the next one. I'm only saying what the guy in the link said .... Y'all be careful out there! jj
well JJ, i had already done a "few" using the shell holder and i had no issues..i could see the shell holder "slide" with in the hammer's cap.

i had 2 optional thoughts,

1) i could make the hole bigger to avoid that

2) just buy yet another tool for that new Lee "O" press i got...!!!!!! (that i use for swaging)

option 2 was best, and maybe over all....safer.

Hornady has already shipped out those "free" replacement collets.

i'd rather have a "back up plan", than no plan at all,

You're most welcome. Hope your reloading endeavors turn out great.
and if they don't.......there's always Domino's Pizza....

i have been doing quite well frankly, but that gunk i had to clean out of the Lee press/Lee seating die, mucked things up a bit.

funny how the Dillon seating die, which is also a Lee, is pristine and i do much, much more on the DIllon, than do on the Lee..!!!

but in the end..??

2 different suppliers of lead bullets.

I hate to date myself, I've been loading numerous rifle & pistol calibers for over 40 years. The list pretty much covers 380 pistol-338 Lapua and several in-between. I'm not bragging, just been doing it for a long time. What's great is I still enjoy reloading, very much. I don't have any experience with modern Lee products, cant give an opinion. For many of those years all I had were single stage presses, for rifle and pistol calibers. I still use single stage presses for most rifle calibers except 308 and 223 where I use my trusty old Dillon XL 650 progressive press. I haven't tried coated bullets, probably should. I cast 38/357, 40 S&W, 44 spl/mag and 45-70 & 40-65 rifle bullets. I try to keep my velocities to 1000-1200 fps to help control leading. I have routinely loaded much hotter loads using gas checked bullet moulds. I use Lyman aloe bullet lube, also Thompson Bullet blue angel lube. I've had minor problems with lube in my seating dies.

I hate to date myself, I've been loading numerous rifle & pistol calibers for over 40 years. The list pretty much covers 380 pistol-338 Lapua and several in-between. I'm not bragging, just been doing it for a long time. What's great is I still enjoy reloading, very much. I don't have any experience with modern Lee products, cant give an opinion. For many of those years all I had were single stage presses, for rifle and pistol calibers. I still use single stage presses for most rifle calibers except 308 and 223 where I use my trusty old Dillon XL 650 progressive press. I haven't tried coated bullets, probably should. I cast 38/357, 40 S&W, 44 spl/mag and 45-70 & 40-65 rifle bullets. I try to keep my velocities to 1000-1200 fps to help control leading. I have routinely loaded much hotter loads using gas checked bullet moulds. I use Lyman aloe bullet lube, also Thompson Bullet blue angel lube. I've had minor problems with lube in my seating dies.
yeah for me, i don't want to get into casting bullets. this old house i own is drafty in the winter time, and i know i'll need ventilation for casting. that and the fact i really haven't anymore space available.

i still load at "starting charge" but i will start to increase the powder a wee bit more, like maybe "middle" charge. i just don't need nor really want "max" charge.

not that i have no confidence in my ability, i just have no need to waste powder for plinking/target practice

I understand, casting bullets is an expensive, time consuming route to take. I don't doubt for a minute very accurate loads with commercial bullets is fairly easy and definitely less expensive. In my case I just enjoy it. I like my handholds for practice to have velocities and recoil management close to factory defensive rounds. I can't afford to practice with factory defensive ammunition. Good luck to you!

I've been in the reloading hobby since IIRC the early-mid 1970's, and have yet to load even one box that I did not label with the following info. And I've not used any press other than "Lee" models since I started.

Labels included: Date of loading, caliber, powder, charge weight, bullet weight, bullet brand, primer brand, COL. There are many pre-printed labels available for purchase, but I made mine up not long after I started re-loading and just printed them off as needed.

The only exception to this is the loads for my silhouette competitions back in the late 70's through the late 80's. All practice loads were labeled, and comp loads done on Saturday night for Sunday comps were listed in my log book, but not shown on any boxes used for the day's comps.

One thing I noticed you didn't mention in your list of things to gather was a case trimmer of some sort. Consistent case length is important to ensure consistent ammo. And let me congratulate you on using good sense in your selection of equipment. "Lee" stuff is as good as it gets, more often not as sophisticated/complicated, and far less expensive than some others. This is not to say any other brands are not good, or as good, but I'll guarantee they're more expensive.
The "Pro 4000" is a great progressive press ...... you won't regret it. In fact it may be way more press than you really need for the amount you'll be loading.

With all due respect, consider that if only loading one caliber and no competition is involved, you may not really need a 'progressive' press. You might want to take a look at the turret press ...... not a true progressive, but is capable of loading some impressive numbers in a short time with the right accessories.

I've recently built myself a roller cart mounted loading station using a simple little single stage "Lee" 'O' frame press and can easily load a couple hundred rounds in a couple hours after dinner. However, just last night I loaded 100 rounds of 9mm and right now I'm down to my last box of small pistol primers. When this 100 are used, I'm out of business until primers are again available. Good luck, good loading !!! (y) (y)(y)
Like Joe, I have been reloading since the mid-70s. Use a single stage Herters all the way. One thing not mentioned is that Berrys bullets are soft lead coated with a thin layer of copper. Make sure your sizing die flares the case mouth slightly so your bullets can slide into the case easily. Don’t need to do this with hard cast or jacketed bullets. I am sure there are videos on YouTube that explain how to reload without blowing yourself up!

Like Joe, I have been reloading since the mid-70s. Use a single stage Herters all the way. One thing not mentioned is that Berrys bullets are soft lead coated with a thin layer of copper. Make sure your sizing die flares the case mouth slightly so your bullets can slide into the case easily. Don’t need to do this with hard cast or jacketed bullets. I am sure there are videos on YouTube that explain how to reload without blowing yourself up!
i had to look up Herters...never heard of it

i had to look up Herters...never heard of it
How 'bout "Ponsness/Warren" equipment ... ever heard of them? I think they started up in the early 70's with shotgun tools. In later years developed into hard case cartridge ammo as well. I've never used one and don't know anything about them, but they sure do look highly technical to me. I do know they're pretty costly. jj

How 'bout "Ponsness/Warren" equipment ... ever heard of them? I think they started up in the early 70's with shotgun tools. In later years developed into hard case cartridge ammo as well. I've never used one and don't know anything about them, but they sure do look highly technical to me. I do know they're pretty costly. jj
umm...nope.

when i did my searching for reloading equipment, the few i would find would be, Dillon, Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady..

its only been like the past few months, i have been seeing "newer brands" pop up.

the old stuff..??

nope.

I can't remember how many different single stage presses I've used over many years. MEC is usually associated with shotgun loaders. Not to long ago they came out with a single stage named MEC MARKSMAN SINGLE STAGE PRESS. Go to their web site, check it out. It has smaller than average footprint, very sturdy. I've loaded 338 Lupua & 45-70 with it, no problems.

I can't remember how many different single stage presses I've used over many years. MEC is usually associated with shotgun loaders. Not to long ago they came out with a single stage named MEC MARKSMAN SINGLE STAGE PRESS. Go to their web site, check it out. It has smaller than average footprint, very sturdy. I've loaded 338 Lupua & 45-70 with it, no problems.
yes..!! when i was looking up presses, MEC came up a lot...but then all they had was for shotgun.

the mom/pop bait shop, has MEC's, i got a up close look at them..very stout, and the manager said, "yeah, and very heavy"...

When I first heard about the new press I thought it might have been typo or simply a mistake. It's for real and a very good one.

I use a Forster standard. bullet puller that works great for rifle and pistol. It's press mounted 7/8" X 14". They have 21 collets covering everything from 17 - 458. I've used RCBS & Hornady press mounted pullers, this Forster works way better.
my Forster puller arrived as well today, (as i was washing my cars)..

i'm gonna set it up in this new press i got for swaging..

1698347639206.png

i might set it up later today, after super, or at least by Saturday

i got 2 collets, one for the 9mm/38 special, and one for the 45 ACP/Colt LC

I bought a melting pot, two bullet molds and related stuff at a shoot this summer. I'm going to try casting this winter. I'll probably powder coat the bullets.
I'm totally into the new coated lead bullets (lipstick) which do not gum up your dies. The bullets don't smoke nor do they lead your bores. I did buy 2K bullets at the last match that were regular lubed bullets, but I saved $60 or more and can't pass up a bargain.
I only use Lee dies as they're cheap and work great, but I use a Dillon 650 and two Dillon Square Deals. I only load pistol caliber bullets.
The wife got a $100 gift certificate as a door prize at our State Championship from Choice Ammunition. It was for Chey-cast bullets, so I ordered 1K coated bullets yesterday. $12.95 + $15 shipping. :cool:

Back