testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

I bought a melting pot, two bullet molds and related stuff at a shoot this summer. I'm going to try casting this winter. I'll probably powder coat the bullets.
I'm totally into the new coated lead bullets (lipstick) which do not gum up your dies. The bullets don't smoke nor do they lead your bores. I did buy 2K bullets at the last match that were regular lubed bullets, but I saved $60 or more and can't pass up a bargain.
I only use Lee dies as they're cheap and work great, but I use a Dillon 650 and two Dillon Square Deals. I only load pistol caliber bullets.
The wife got a $100 gift certificate as a door prize at our State Championship from Choice Ammunition. It was for Chey-cast bullets, so I ordered 1K coated bullets yesterday. $12.95 + $15 shipping. :cool:
i do want to "switch" to a different bullet......but i am not sure yet, which type, which coating, etc.

and in the end, cost does factor into my decision(s).

one thing for most certain is, i might NOT be buying from Missouri Bullet anymore.

i told of the long wait i had for my current 2,000 LRN 124 gr, 9mm...

over a MONTH i waited...then i emailed them....

i was like "WTF is going on, where are my bullets"?

i was told the machine that makes them broke down..????

like, where IS /WAS customer service at Missouri Bullet , WHERE THEY COULD HAVE INFORMED me of a delay..??

why me, as a customer had to inquire, in like DOING THEIR JOB...???

customer service is paramount in my mind...you want my business, my money...??

THEN YOU COMMUNICATE TO ME...FIRST.....

rant over.......

Sorry for your experience, they should have contacted you allowing you to shop elsewhere.
or at the very least maybe a small discount on that order, or on my next order...i'd have preferred some information regarding my order, then nothing at all. that would have went a long way with me....now, when asked by others, i cannot realistically recommend them.

update:

after a busy week here at the house, i finally got to pull those bullers, with that new Forster set up.

ok, i set up this POS Lee new press that i got, to replace the other one i had.......

why..??

well Lee presses come with a "bushing" so that you can insert your dies, with the locking ring.....it is not an ordinary screw in thread..there is a "lock button", that the lock nut on the Forster tool jams against, and then, the "bushing" rotates, and the lock "button, gets discombobulated..

i swear i am as ticked off with nearly ALL Lee products now.

i will search for a "normal" single stage press, that can handle my swaging die set up, and this Forster bullet puller.

look at this picture..you should be able to see a black button on the top......that locks in the bushing for the dies.

it's SUPPOSED to keep the bushing from rotating.>!!

but, i cannot tighten the Forster lock nut, as it has to go past that button.....

1698596210702.png

anyway, the next pics....

here is the Forster bullet puller, and the lock nut, jammed against the Lee bushing, the lock nut jams on that button, and if it goes past it..?? the dang bushing rotates as well..it ain't supposed to do that.>!!

1698596513508.png

in this next pic, a round being raised to get the bullet pulled. AND you can get a better picture of the Lee locking bushing, jamming the Forster lock nut.

1698596629337.png

and bullet pulled....

1698596717425.png

as it was, i had to use "water pump pliers" to hold the Forster tool in place, otherwise, it would rotate in the POS Lee press.

Forster bullet puller works great.....

now that i have the bullets pulled, i had to pull 15 of them, due to the Lee seating die being messed up with gunk, this Lee press will see cobwebs.

i will search for a REAL single stage press, with out that stupid bushing insert.

Old_Me, some things are designed to work together and some aren't. Those that aren't, you sometimes have to improvise a little. Take the Forster lock nut off and use a Lee lock nut on the puller. Then insert a Lee bushing into the press and line it up with the little button as it's supposed to be. Then insert the Forster puller to the correct depth and lock it down to the bushing using the Lee lock nut and the whole system will work well for you.

The Lee bushing system is a convenience/time saver to allow the user to set his dies up once, lock them down to the bushing with an appropriate lock nut, then never have to screw the die in/out of the press again. In my opinion one of the smartest inventions ever in the reloading industry. In old days before the bushings, every time you removed a die, you had to be very careful to not lose the relationship of the die/lock nut to the press, or you would have to go through the set up process again to ensure the die is at the correct setting for your needs. With the bushing, all you do is push the little location button down, turn the bushing out with the die included. Then when needed again, simply return the die/bushing combination together back into the bushing hole, turn them about 1/3 (60° iirc) back to the little button which pops up to locate the assembly, and your set up is automatically correct.

There's usually a rhyme and a reason for things. Sometimes from frustration we simply overlook them. The Lee 'Breech lock" press is a great little 'O' press (one of the best from sales reports) and the 'Forster' puller is a great puller (for the same reason). They were designed by two different companies with a different perspective on some issues with reloading tools. They won't quite work together without a little modification or improvising.

Sit back, relax, have a cool one on me, and enjoy your new toys. (y):) jj

update:

after a busy week here at the house, i finally got to pull those bullers, with that new Forster set up.

ok, i set up this POS Lee new press that i got, to replace the other one i had.......

why..??

well Lee presses come with a "bushing" so that you can insert your dies, with the locking ring.....it is not an ordinary screw in thread..there is a "lock button", that the lock nut on the Forster tool jams against, and then, the "bushing" rotates, and the lock "button, gets discombobulated..

i swear i am as ticked off with nearly ALL Lee products now.

i will search for a "normal" single stage press, that can handle my swaging die set up, and this Forster bullet puller.

look at this picture..you should be able to see a black button on the top......that locks in the bushing for the dies.

it's SUPPOSED to keep the bushing from rotating.>!!

but, i cannot tighten the Forster lock nut, as it has to go past that button.....

View attachment 46131

anyway, the next pics....

here is the Forster bullet puller, and the lock nut, jammed against the Lee bushing, the lock nut jams on that button, and if it goes past it..?? the dang bushing rotates as well..it ain't supposed to do that.>!!

View attachment 46132

in this next pic, a round being raised to get the bullet pulled. AND you can get a better picture of the Lee locking bushing, jamming the Forster lock nut.

View attachment 46134

and bullet pulled....

View attachment 46136

as it was, i had to use "water pump pliers" to hold the Forster tool in place, otherwise, it would rotate in the POS Lee press.

Forster bullet puller works great.....

now that i have the bullets pulled, i had to pull 15 of them, due to the Lee seating die being messed up with gunk, this Lee press will see cobwebs.

i will search for a REAL single stage press, with out that stupid bushing insert.
Glad the Forster bullet puller is working out for you. Don't have any experience with modern Lee products. I won't beat a dead horse but the MEC press is really good.

Old_Me, some things are designed to work together and some aren't. Those that aren't, you sometimes have to improvise a little. Take the Forster lock nut off and use a Lee lock nut on the puller. Then insert a Lee bushing into the press and line it up with the little button as it's supposed to be. Then insert the Forster puller to the correct depth and lock it down to the bushing using the Lee lock nut and the whole system will work well for you.

The Lee bushing system is a convenience/time saver to allow the user to set his dies up once, lock them down to the bushing with an appropriate lock nut, then never have to screw the die in/out of the press again. In my opinion one of the smartest inventions ever in the reloading industry. In old days before the bushings, every time you removed a die, you had to be very careful to not lose the relationship of the die/lock nut to the press, or you would have to go through the set up process again to ensure the die is at the correct setting for your needs. With the bushing, all you do is push the little location button down, turn the bushing out with the die included. Then when needed again, simply return the die/bushing combination together back into the bushing hole, turn them about 1/3 (60° iirc) back to the little button which pops up to locate the assembly, and your set up is automatically correct.

There's usually a rhyme and a reason for things. Sometimes from frustration we simply overlook them. The Lee 'Breech lock" press is a great little 'O' press (one of the best from sales reports) and the 'Forster' puller is a great puller (for the same reason). They were designed by two different companies with a different perspective on some issues with reloading tools. They won't quite work together without a little modification or improvising.

Sit back, relax, have a cool one on me, and enjoy your new toys. (y):) jj
jj, i tried all that. long before i got the sawzall warmed up. with a new 6" steel cutting blade.

i just went ahead and ordered up a set of Lee colored bushings, from Natchez. and a Forster lock ring as well.

i'll have to remove the current bushing, and use a better one, one that is slightly taller the the OEM POS that's in there now.

at the very least, i got all the bullets pulled, that's a win for me.

but , i still think the Lee single stage press that i got, is a POS, over the Rock Chucker i just checked as well...cast iron, with a nice locking nut, to butt up against the bullet puller as well as the swag set up lock nuts.

Glad the Forster bullet puller is working out for you. Don't have any experience with modern Lee products. I won't beat a dead horse but the MEC press is really good.
yeah, the Forster is GREAT......but the Lee SUCKS....

if the parts i am buying do not work out, i'll got for a Rock Chucker single stage, i just looked at.

I should have added, I used a Rock Chucker for quite awhile it never let me down. I just liked the MEC more.
yeah, i'd like to have a "stand-by unit", specifically for swaging and bullet pulling. i have all the shell holders for the Lee now as it is.

even if i would rarely use the "stand-by", it'll still save me time over all, at a low cost.

I can't imagine you won't like the RCBS. I would guess every reloader at one time or another has had problems with their equipment.
seems more like so far...Lee has been the bane of my existence.

at least thier carbide dies work....

Old_Me, I'm afraid you might be in for another disappointment. I'm not totally certain, but I think all Forster lock rings are a larger diameter than Lee and most other brands. It's due to the way the Forster co-axial press is designed. Their dies are held in place by the lock ring sliding into a slot and 'floats' in that slot at the base of the press. They do not lock down onto the top of the press as does most all others. That's actually one of the selling features of the 'Co-axial" press in that both the shell holder and the dies semi float in use.

In other words Forster's claim is that by allowing both pieces to float, they automatically and perfectly align the case to the die for a perfect re-sizing. It's this 'proprietary' parts requirement that makes the Forster a little less desirable. They're excellent equipment/tools, just not designed to meet an industry standard in every case. Think of the 'Square Deal' (I think that's the one) Dillon press system not being able to use other manufacturer's dies. I think most re-loaders will agree the Lee dies are the 'cream of the crop for the cost, but they can't be used on the 'Square Deal' press, as good as it is.

Some of you Dillon users correct me if I'm mistaken on the 'Square Deal'. That may not be the one, but I'm pretty sure there is one Dillon that you cannot use Lee dies for some reason. Before you actually resort to the sawz-all, be sure it's the equipment and not just a misunderstanding of the use of the equipment.

I'll just say this then quit, I've got every piece of Lee equipment you have and then some. I have Lee tolls from 40+ years ago that have never failed me. I've never had an issue with a single piece of it and have used Lee stuff for not only pleasure shooting over about 60+ years, but have made some of the very best, most accurate and consistent ammo with nothing but Lee. In fact have actually won state and several local championships with Lee reloaded ammo and have taken much game with nary a missed shot in more than 40 years. Lee makes excellent tools all-round. (y) (y) jj

Old_Me, I'm afraid you might be in for another disappointment. I'm not totally certain, but I think all Forster lock rings are a larger diameter than Lee and most other brands. It's due to the way the Forster co-axial press is designed. Their dies are held in place by the lock ring sliding into a slot and 'floats' in that slot at the base of the press. They do not lock down onto the top of the press as does most all others. That's actually one of the selling features of the 'Co-axial" press in that both the shell holder and the dies semi float in use.

In other words Forster's claim is that by allowing both pieces to float, they automatically and perfectly align the case to the die for a perfect re-sizing. It's this 'proprietary' parts requirement that makes the Forster a little less desirable. They're excellent equipment/tools, just not designed to meet an industry standard in every case. Think of the 'Square Deal' (I think that's the one) Dillon press system not being able to use other manufacturer's dies. I think most re-loaders will agree the Lee dies are the 'cream of the crop for the cost, but they can't be used on the 'Square Deal' press, as good as it is.

Some of you Dillon users correct me if I'm mistaken on the 'Square Deal'. That may not be the one, but I'm pretty sure there is one Dillon that you cannot use Lee dies for some reason. Before you actually resort to the sawz-all, be sure it's the equipment and not just a misunderstanding of the use of the equipment.

I'll just say this then quit, I've got every piece of Lee equipment you have and then some. I have Lee tolls from 40+ years ago that have never failed me. I've never had an issue with a single piece of it and have used Lee stuff for not only pleasure shooting over about 60+ years, but have made some of the very best, most accurate and consistent ammo with nothing but Lee. In fact have actually won state and several local championships with Lee reloaded ammo and have taken much game with nary a missed shot in more than 40 years. Lee makes excellent tools all-round. (y) (y) jj

Attachments

• vid-install-die-with-lock-ring.png
    vid-install-die-with-lock-ring.png
    377.7 KB · Views: 92
Don't know how I did it but the above was supposed to be a reply and a picture of the Co-Ax press. Somehow it appears I replied to myself , sorry. jj

Forster has two bullet pullers. One is the universal and the other is the standard. The only difference is the universal is for their co-axial press. Other than they both work the same way. I've used the standard on a Rock Chucker as well on my MEC. Never had a problem pulling bullets on both presses.

Thanks, I know they both work the same way. I was trying to explain to Old_Me the lock ring he has just ordered to fix his issue might not fix his issue. The lock ring itself is simply too wide to do what he wants to do on his Lee press. jj

Back