testtest

Springfield Armory XD Mod.3 Review

Haters gonna hate.
I don’t hate the caliber; I own several .40’s, in fact.

But I’m also not so blinded by fanboiism that it’s not obvious the cartridge is losing popularity at a rapid pace; more agencies are abandoning it than adopting it, more .40 models are being discontinued than any other caliber…I can read the writing on the wall. I’m willing to bet in the next 10-20 years, only 1 or 2 companies will be making .40 pistols, if any.

So.

There are a total of 2 NEW models on there…and they are both from S&W, whose name is on the cartridge, and so have a vested interest in keeping it going.

No dealers in my area will take a .40 in trade, or as a sale, unless you want to give it away for pennies on the dollar.

.38 special has been around for 125 years, give or take.

I doubt .40 will make half of that.
That's in your area. .40 sells online, on Gunbroker, on firearm forums, and LGS have them in my area. What sells in one area might not sell in another. For example, single action revolvers and level rifles would sit in my area compared to "assault rifles," PCC, and more tactical and modern firearms. There's a demographic of men in my area that prefers .40, .45, or 10mm over a 380acp or 9mm. Other than that, the LGS and pawn shops in my area give pennies on the dollar for all the guns they buy, which is why I only do F2F sales or sell online.

It's more popular than .327sig, .32 cals, 44mag 44spl, and it's a staple round. 22lr, 380acp, 9mm, 40s&w, and 10mm will be long after we are. Yes, it's not nearly as popular as it once was, but it's still a popular round that's still in circulation. There are still a plethora of ammo options that exist and can be found at most retailers who sell handgun ammo. There were polls on GlockTalk and TheHighRoad.org, and the overwhelming majority of participants owned and/or carried a .40.

Yes, there are two new models, quite a few models that have been around for years, and Glock has brought 40s&w into the Gen 5. Then there's the fact that many USPSA shooters use 40s&w. While it lost popularity to 9mm when law enforcement switched, there's still a large demographic of people who own or prefer .40.

Last edited:

But I’m also not so blinded by fanboiism that it’s not obvious the cartridge is losing popularity at a rapid pace; more agencies are abandoning it than adopting it, more .40 models are being discontinued than any other caliber…I can read the writing on the wall. I’m willing to bet in the next 10-20 years, only 1 or 2 companies will be making .40 pistols, if any.
😉

.45 and 10mm, 4" and 5" threaded barrels. I have enough 9mm, need to upgrade my old XD and really want threaded barrel and Optics options that are not available. Come on Springfield, where's the love for the .45?? What becomes of the Xdm Elite line up now??? Seems that improving that line would have made sense. The difference in price has me wondering where they cut the corners.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Springfield Armory XD Mod.3 Review” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-armory-xd-mod-3-review/.

I have no need, it's been filled, for a 9mm 10 round (Colorado has a 15 round limit). Sure it's a cheaper option for some, but the niche IMO is limited. Wish they would focus on a new niche like a 10mm Echelon which would be much larger (again) IMO.

The better option would be if they're releasing a 5" slide model, AKA the tactical. I love my 5" Mod.2 and wouldn't ever consider milling the slide.

I'm hoping a 5" will be made, the Mod.3 should sell well at this price point, IMO. Cheap mags to boot since they are compatible all the way back to the original XD.
For me, since I already have the XDM Elite Tactical OSP (man, that's a mouthful) 5.25" threaded barrel, optic, etc. the niche for me on this one is concealed carry. Something to upgrade my current XD Mod.2 subcompact. Grab a Gun has it for $299. That's crazy low; I'll probably pay that again for an optic, so...

Peewee waiting for Christmas.gif

I had the chance to shoot the Mod.3, which was in the rental counter at the range I regularly shoot at. No real surprises. First off, it felt great in the hand. The grip texturing was aggressive enough and real comfortable. Also, I really noticed and liked the flat style trigger and undercut trigger guard.

I put 200 rounds of 124 grain Fiocchi through it and it ran flawlessly. Like my other SA XD and XD variants, it was accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

IMHO, another Springfield Armory homerun.

Absolutely love my 40 caliber Mod2 Sub Compact, the gun shoots flawlessly and is seriously controllable and comfortable to shoot, it’s good to see SA expanding on this platform.
I prefer .40, and would like to see this pistol in that caliber (fat chance of that, I know), or in .45 or 10mm. I have enough 9mm as is. The quality and price are certainly right. For me, just the caliber. I was going to say .30 Super Carry, but don’t like the bonfires in my front yard!

My take on the .40 is that it has a larger frontal surface than a 9. Plus more penetration than a .45. I have pistols in all 3calibers, just prefer what I prefer. When in LE, carried .38s and a Smith 5904, so experience with the .40 & .45 on dangerous game, 2 legged or 4.

I had the chance to shoot the Mod.3, which was in the rental counter at the range I regularly shoot at. No real surprises. First off, it felt great in the hand. The grip texturing was aggressive enough and real comfortable. Also, I really noticed and liked the flat style trigger and undercut trigger guard.

I put 200 rounds of 124 grain Fiocchi through it and it ran flawlessly. Like my other SA XD and XD variants, it was accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

IMHO, another Springfield Armory homerun.
Thanks for the report.

My take on the .40 is that it has a larger frontal surface than a 9. Plus more penetration than a .45. I have pistols in all 3calibers, just prefer what I prefer. When in LE, carried .38s and a Smith 5904, so experience with the .40 & .45 on dangerous game, 2 legged or 4.
Be that as it may…it has nothing to do with .40 losing market share and popularity.

I will be very surprised if SA drops a new model in .40, ever.

Picked one up for less than $300. Got it. Cleaned it. Took it to the range. Put 350 round of 115 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain. FMJ. JHP and flat nose. No hiccups.

Love the slide serrations, love the flare at the back of the slide. Grip texture so good, don’t think I’ll put the talon grips on it. First SA I’ve been happy with grip texture out of the box.

Great trigger. Better than my mod 2. Tack driver. Fist size groups at 15 yards.

Haven’t found a holster yet. Been using my Galco shoulder holster. Thankfully cooler temps here.

For the money? Can’t be beat.

Holosun 507C next month. I’m hoping that doesn’t make me print more.

Really think Springfield hit it out of the park with this.

Solid, accurate and reliable.

Picked one up for less than $300. Got it. Cleaned it. Took it to the range. Put 350 round of 115 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain. FMJ. JHP and flat nose. No hiccups.

Love the slide serrations, love the flare at the back of the slide. Grip texture so good, don’t think I’ll put the talon grips on it. First SA I’ve been happy with grip texture out of the box.

Great trigger. Better than my mod 2. Tack driver. Fist size groups at 15 yards.

Haven’t found a holster yet. Been using my Galco shoulder holster. Thankfully cooler temps here.

For the money? Can’t be beat.

Holosun 507C next month. I’m hoping that doesn’t make me print more.

Really think Springfield hit it out of the park with this.

Solid, accurate and reliable.
Thanks for the report, every thing I'm wanting to hear. Can't wait to pick mine up.

Hi,

I just ordered one. Probably pick it up next week. Now to start shopping for an optic. I still love my original XD9. This will be da bomb. ;) 💣

I know the mags will fit. I hope the holsters do too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Got mine yesterday. Really liking it so far. Slide serrations and rear cocking ledge are great. Optics cut on a quality pistol at this price is awesome. Can't wait to get it to the range.

Back