testtest

What are we reading?

Recently discovered Mary Higgins Clark. She has written over 50 mysteries and psychological thrillers. Many of her stories have been made into film and TV movies. I don't think I will get through them all, as I like to mix up the types of books I read. However, I am into a second story of hers and have found them enjoyably readable. If I didn't have several other things to do, I could read her stories non-stop. Currently reading We'll Meet Again.

Anybody like horror/monster stories?
I just finished Devolution: A firsthand account of the Rainier Sasquatch massacre by Max Brooks. Published in 2020. He's the same guy who wrote The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.
The story is told as an after the fact investigation through the writings in a journal of one the victims with side bars from experts.

Here's the set up. This tech genius builds a small community in the wilds of Washington state not far from Mt. Rainier. Six, super high tech, solar powered, self contained, smart homes. They have their own fiber optic cable that gives them instant access to internet, TV and the whole world. He fills these homes with artists and progressive thinkers. All the comforts of high tech urban living far away from the maddening world.
But then, Mt Rainier blows its top. The eruption wipes out the only road in or out and cuts of all communication with the outside world. Of course these people never thought to plan for a disaster. They're completely cut off, no communication at all and each have maybe a weeks worth of food. These people have zero survival skills.
Then the Sasquatches come. They're hungry.

I do warn that it does get a bit gory. But, its a gripping story with great character studies that'll keep you on the edge of your seat as these people try to deal with their own inadequacies and a monstrous threat.
I highly recommend it. BTW: a movie is already in the works.

Used to conduct training in the Rainier Training Area. It can be a spooky place. There is so much dead fall one wrong step and a soldier could completely disappear from view. It's like falling into a pit. One night, at a short halt, we all swore we heard Sasquatch moving about 50 meters away. Slow movement, heavy breathing and horrible smell, then moved away. I'm not a believer in all of this monster/alien stuff, but that sure stuck with me all of these decades since. Or maybe it was just the training cadre messing with us. :unsure:

I just read through this entire thread and I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. This book should be required reading for every gun owner.
Originally released in 1996, the book chronicles the history of gun control in this country and its abuse by our own government intermixed with a fictional story of an avid gun collector who has been targeted by our government. I highly recommend it.
Its been quite a while since I read it, I think I'll dig it out and reread it. ;)

Last edited:
I just picked up Garrett M. Graff's "Raven Rock." (The story of the U.S. government's secret plan to save itself--while the rest of us die).

Reading this this morning:

"A complete look at the use, care & repair of the 1911 pistol"

1725367254457.png

I just read through this entire thread and I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. This book should be required reading for every gun owner.
Originally released in 1996, the book chronicles the history of gun control in this country and its abuse by our own government intermixed with a fictional story of an avid gun collector who has been targeted by our government. I highly recommend it.
Its been quite a while since I read it, I think I'll dig it out and reread it. ;)

Great book, own it, read it!

Back